OCR01772 - Splatterhouse 3 "Call of the Mask"

djpretzel

• 2 weeks later...

Very suspenseful; I almost expected something a bit more 'shocking' coming from the source, but this is a lot classier; great use of SFX like the rhythmic footsteps. Great textures and sample use, and some nice progression. The source doesn't lean to far towards a strong melody, but the mood set in the arrangement is the real star here.

Nice work. :-D

• 3 weeks later...

Wow very atmospheric :) Sounds so professional too I can imagine hearing this song exactly in Saw, Jeepers Creepers, I don't know any movie where the viewer is meant to think the bad guy is in the room with them as they watch the cinema innocently

I meant for that to sound creepy

No really, I'm scared. . . great work =)))

• 11 months later...

Reminds me a lot of a few of the creepy renditions of the Super Mario World's ghost house music that are here on the site. This is perhaps more understated, and probably benefits from it more on the creepy, mood-setting side of it. There's a distinct lack of driving melody, which actually becomes the mixes strongest trait. It becomes less about a journey through the usual stages of structured music and just lets the suggestions of tone seep into you.

The samples are a huge reason why I think this is so successful. The strings, choir and percussion do a stand-up job in capturing that cinematic horror vibe, and I even think the brass was a pretty acceptable selection.

It doesn't lend itself for multiple playings and its not really going to please anyone in the mood of an energetic party song, but given the right time, place and mood, it achieves everything it sets out to and sounds terrific in the process. A different approach to mixing and definately worth checking out.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Well... This mix is absolutely chilling - to great effect, of course. I've listened to all of your other remixes tonight, too, and they've all successfully captured that film score-y kind of vibe. This one, however, I think is best if only for the fact that it really emphasizes mood and texture over melody, which makes it stand out from a lot of the other remixes on the site, while sticking true to its film score inspiration.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01772 - Splatterhouse 3 "Call of the Mask"