WCT - [COMPETITION OVERHAUL - NEED IDEAS] The Writing Competition Thread

HalcyonSpirit

You know, if you had mentioned that at the time, I would've allowed a little leeway for you to finish up in time. I'm not so strict about times that I'll cut off at the specified time no matter what; whenever I get to the computer after the time given I may end it, or decide I'm too tired and wait until the next morning, or...

You get the picture. I just use UTC because it's the universal standard. It's not like everyone here is AN AMERICAN. FROM AMERICA. :-P

• 2 weeks later...

My lack of computer is really screwing up this voting round. I never got a chance to sent out reminder PMs because my computer, despite getting it's new motherboard, still doesn't work! So I'm extending the voting period until... well, until further notice.

I've gotten only a single vote in so far, but I can't complain too much due to the computer failure situation. Still, I was hoping for better despite it. Get moving!

• 3 weeks later...

So how come it's going on the 31st and I still only have one vote?! I mean, seriously, I know I haven't been able to send out reminder PMs this round but you shouldn't have to rely on them to remember to vote!

The next round (Short Story) WILL start on schedule! The July round voting will remain open until I've got enough votes to call it, so get cracking already! Jeez...

Good to have you aboard, Straziante and neblixsaber! I'm looking forward to seeing what you can do!

It's past 00:00 UTC, so we're now into the

SEPTEMBER 2009 SHORT STORY COMPETITION!

In addition, as already announced, the voting period for the July competition is STILL OPEN! So if you're going to participate in the Short Story competition in any way, and even if you're not, I strongly urge you to take a few minutes to vote on the July competition as soon as possible!

Get crackin', because I sure am!

What's the average word count for short story submissions?

I'll just get as close to 2500 as possible. I've 1800 words already, but I have to detail a whole fight scene. T.T

Don't sweat the word count. Just write what you need to write. If you go over, you can go back and trim back some of the least important details without compromising the story as a whole. If you try to write something such as an important fight with a limit in mind, you're really only stifling the creative process.

Just let 'er rip and go from there.

Don't sweat the word count. Just write what you need to write. If you go over, you can go back and trim back some of the least important details without compromising the story as a whole. If you try to write something such as an important fight with a limit in mind, you're really only stifling the creative process.

Just let 'er rip and go from there.

Got it. When are submissions due?

All necessary information is in the first post. For the record, submissions are due by the end of the month at 23:59 UTC.

Also, Straziante (and really anyone else, as a reminder), we have a rule about submissions: stories need to be written within the submission period. Now, perhaps you did write your submission in the few hours after the start. I know there's some people that could do that, so I don't discount the possibility. If you don't say anything, I can't really do anything since there's no way for me to know when you wrote it. But if you didn't write it during those few hours, I do ask that you do the right thing and write a different story for submission.

Everyone, remember, we rely on people to honor the rules here, since it's somewhat hard to enforce certain rules except in extreme cases. Please don't abuse this trust. :smile:

All necessary information is in the first post. For the record, submissions are due by the end of the month at 23:59 UTC.

Also, Straziante (and really anyone else, as a reminder), we have a rule about submissions: stories need to be written within the submission period. Now, perhaps you did write your submission in the few hours after the start. I know there's some people that could do that, so I don't discount the possibility. If you don't say anything, I can't really do anything since there's no way for me to know when you wrote it. But if you didn't write it during those few hours, I do ask that you do the right thing and write a different story for submission.

Everyone, remember, we rely on people to honor the rules here, since it's somewhat hard to enforce certain rules except in extreme cases. Please don't abuse this trust. :smile:

I hope I'm not breaking the rules :/ I started writing as soon as you said the September 2009 Short Story contest started.

My short stories are usually written pretty fast. I started writing as soon as I saw it was short story month. Took me about an hour and a half to write then I spent another hour tweaking.

Most of my writing occurs during short periods of time, usually in one sitting. If you would like me submit something new for argument's sake, I'm sure I could whip something up.

My short stories are usually written pretty fast. I started writing as soon as I saw it was short story month. Took me about an hour and a half to write then I spent another hour tweaking.

Most of my writing occurs during short periods of time, usually in one sitting. If you would like me submit something new for argument's sake, I'm sure I could whip something up.

I'm pretty sure there's no problem with writing that so fast, I think he meant you can't submit something that you were already writing before he said contest started.

http://www.fictionpress.com/s/2716509/1/Aura_Weapon

Yeah, more or less. Really, if you've been around long enough, you know that a contest starts every other month and that it follows the "Freeform->Short Story->Poetry" rotation. So as soon as a competition month starts, you're free to begin writing. No need to wait for me to formally announce it.

Straziante, you're in the clear, don't worry. I'm quite jealous that you can write so quickly. I normally can only write a few paragraphs at a time.

You're ok too, neblixsaber. The word count is a little flexible, but I just checked and you're under the limit anyway.

I'm jealous of people that can be patient and consistently write good literature. My writing is streaky and sporadic at best.

My writing is streaky and sporadic, but also in very frequent spurts...

excpet that I usually lazy so I never write often anyway. But I can tell you I could write more and more 24/7, if not for needing sleep, video games, music, school, and food. And of course, getting bored.

I never got around to writing the next chapter to my Sonic fanfic. BTW, if you guys wanna read that just PM me.