OCR00336 - Secret of Mana "Fear of the Flava"

Saunders

Secret of Mana 'Fear of the Flava'

Heeeeeell yeah. Now this is a great mix. This would probably be my favorite Secret of Mana remix on the site. *Checks the other mixes* Yeah I think it is. What I especially liked about this tune was that McVaffe remixed more than just that intro theme we all know and love, but he also remixed Did You See The Sea (The witch's castle [What was her name? Elinee?]). Another thing I liked about this mix was the excellent drum work.

This is a definite suggestion. Grab it while you can! (Don't worry, it's not going anywhere..)

• 2 months later...

Wow, nobody jumped on this one back in May? This is one of my favorite tracks from the Clock hands down, combining "Fear of the Heavens" and "A Boy Aims For Wild Fields", two of my favorite tracks from Secret of Mana. I personally thought SoM had some of the best music for the SNES, and I remember this game very fondly for it.

The beginning is a normal orchestral redition of "Heavens" and maybe people didn't go all the way through this one, because it's well done, but ordinary until McVaffe throws the switch on the beat into "Wild Fields" at :49. With the familiar acoustic guitar line over the drum line, and some piano work setting up the transition into the flute lead at 1:38, this one really takes off, and it's beautiful as McV breaks it on back.

2:26 switches us back to "Heavens" with the continuing breakbeat, and we get a bassline to go along with the flute. Little problem with the bass at 3:10 just before the end, but it's pretty good overall. A bit slow starting, but worth the payoff. The slippy drum beat doesn't step on "Wild Fields" at all, and the section from :49 to 2:25 is just all-star material, especially the piano from about the 1:14 mark to the 1:38 flute entrance.

9/10. Yes, it's that good and one of my favorite pieces of Clock work (heh.)

• 9 months later...

Again, a superbly done remix that would've been one of the most beautiful things I ever heard.....if there wasn't GIGANTIC THUMPING BASS blocking out the melody. 2/10 for that crap, I wanted to hear the song, not repetitive thumping drowning out the song.

• 1 month later...

McVaffe does a very good thing here, which was to take out any semblance of blandness in the mix. While the bass is constant, the beat is funky as all hell and easy to get into. He MUST be a professional drummer. On top of that, he does a medley with a smooth transition, and the drums sound really really good. It's a high quality remix with a lot put into it, both work-wise and listening wise. 5/5

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I can't believe there are so few reviews here. This is a SoM fan's dream come true. What an excellent, competent, charming remix. The drums are just awesome; I love it when they trail off to the left speaker in the middle during the breakdown. GREAT bassline there near the end (even though parts of it for some reason sound about a half step off). Just a great tune.

:!::!::!:

oh yeah, guy.

this was a great hit! it loved it.

i didn't knew/met the game, but since i've heard your remix i was crazy to know more aboute the game.

i bought a CD-ROM and with it was a selection of MP3, and fearoftheflava was one of them, then i wanted to know where found this remix, where was it from, who made it. then i met this site.

it is very cool, congratulations for everyone that enjoy game remixes!...

• 3 months later...

GOD this is an amazing mix!! It captures the essence of Secret of Mana's battle theme. The background drums are simply ASTOUNDING. It makes me want to play the game, which is always a good sign. This and Tidal Sequence are right up there as my two favorite SoM remixes. Hooray McV!

• 3 months later...

With in the first 10 seconds you can already tell that this remix is going to be awesome. The piano is just amazing and then the drums come in and just increase the whole song and make it a million times better. But the best part is at 2:26 when the intro piano is played with the drums over them. I love this mix.

Wow, can't believe I haven't already posted a comment here but this is the remix that first brought me to OCR. I'm hella biased because SoM is my favorite game EVER but this mix really is great. That percussion is something that I aspire to and the songs that were combined to make this mix flow effortlessly together. Whenever I'm feeling uninspired I look to the Flava first and I haven't been let down yet. Thanks McVaffe.

• 1 month later...

This is one of my favorite mixes on the whole site, whch should be of no surprise to you seeing as it comes from McVaffe. I love the opening of the origional title theme in the beginning and then gradually putting a nice beat along with it. It just enhanses the track and turns it into an experience. The only way you could not dig this track is if you eat babies.. And you don't do that... Do you? :wink:

• 11 months later...

Interesting piece indeed, McVaffe apparently wanted to cover two music styles with this one, but I dunno what those styles are. He fused together classical instruments like piano and flute together with the electronic instruments we have today. The drumbeat has a very fast pace, but with more soothing instruments it becomes a different experience. I'm not sure what to call it, but I'm digging it. However, the ending could've been finished off a little more carefully, since it fades out pretty fast.

And seriously, what's a Flava? My dictionary bursted out in flames when I tried to look it up.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've never played the game or heard the original one, but trust me: This is one of the most memorable remixes from OCR (despite the fact I just recently joined, I've been around here for years). So nostalgic!

For some reason, this reminds me about Super Mario 64 and the volcano-level. I dunno why. :D It's just the image I always get in mind while listening to this.

Very good remix overall: not too repeative, hi-quality sound and one of the best beginnings I've heard.

• 1 year later...

I think the early piano delay is a bit too strong, but once the song starts it's pure quality. The beats are excellent, and though the instrumentation doesn't stray too far from the original, the samples are all excellent, especially the flute.

The ending I didn't really like, as it is a *very* abrupt fadeout, but up until that point, it's very nice stuff.

• 6 months later...
  • 11 months later...

The expected level of quality from McVaffe. Pretty stellar from beginning to end; pulls all the right punches and just connects on that right level that all mixers should aspire to. I mean, don't get me wrong, this is a pretty simple remix and by no means a technical powerhouse, but it connects on the right level by taking risks and respecting the source at the same time.

The drumwork is everything in this, and everything it touches turns to gold. The piano and flute elements flow nicely in back, but they are really only passengers for the ride that the breakbeats are taking us on. More than melodic support, they are the driving energy and just what the mix required in standing out in a good way. In a mix where not all that much is built upon or examined, it sure does stay lively the whole way through.

A basic mix strengthened by some very nice risks and decisions. In other words, another McVaffe success. Keep them coming, I'll keep praising them.

Good remix. The original tracks were recaptured fairly well

while welcoming the new additions with open arms. The

delay piano was just a tad early and the fadeout was, as

OA has pointed out below, very abrupt. The overall listening

is good, but with those minor flaws fixed, it could be greater.

Kudos to a job well done.

• 1 year later...

I found this on my playlist and decided today to give it a full listen and I loved every minute of it. The songs blend very well and I just love that delayed piano sample mixed with the pads. I feel so refreshed listening to it, then I kind of get into a dance mood one the beat comes in.

My only problem with this song was the ending. I was having a great time listening then all of sudden the music just disappeared. I know to expect fadeouts from McVaffe (at least the songs I have from him), but this one was so quick and unexpected. Kind of disappointing to be honest, but a great track otherwise.

• 4 years later...

I heard quite a lot of McVaffe tunes back when I first actually heard of OCR back in 2004...a good 5 years before I even joined in 2009. But I suppose, this one slipped past my radar back then. 

The intro delayed piano sample has been discussed here before, but honestly I don't think it would've been a dealbreaker even back in 2001, the whole tune really reminds of a lot of older jungle dnb. It doesn't have a whole ton of drum variation, but the short stutters and cuts really help the song move forward smoothly.

Kind of a weird fadeout though. Otherwise awesome. :D

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00336 - Secret of Mana "Fear of the Flava"