Why is this site so scared of actually reviewing songs?

jfs_87

Several people made great points, but I have to second Shadow Wolf's thoughts (ahem, those on reviewing, that is). I'd guess that the majority of folks on ocremix, myself included, aren't remixers at all. Personally, I don't think I have the right to criticize a remix even if I think it's poo. Someone put in many, many hours of work to learn their craft and create their remix and then has provided it for folks like me to enjoy for free, so who am I to say it's anything other than enjoyable? Sides, even if I were to be critical, I think it would be prickish of me to announce it to the world... praise in public, criticize in private. And there's plenty here to praise.

Oh, and speaking of panel reviews, I believe there was one review on which a certain judge countered his outstanding balance of "NO"s in one fell, multicolored swoop. It was quite hilarious. If only I could find it again...

Several people made great points, but I have to second Shadow Wolf's thoughts (ahem, those on reviewing, that is). I'd guess that the majority of folks on ocremix, myself included, aren't remixers at all. Personally, I don't think I have the right to criticize a remix even if I think it's poo. Someone put in many, many hours of work to learn their craft and create their remix and then has provided it for folks like me to enjoy for free, so who am I to say it's anything other than enjoyable? Sides, even if I were to be critical, I think it would be prickish of me to announce it to the world... praise in public, criticize in private. And there's plenty here to praise.

Oh, and speaking of panel reviews, I believe there was one review on which a certain judge countered his outstanding balance of "NO"s in one fell, multicolored swoop. It was quite hilarious. If only I could find it again...

Well, sometimes the artists do want feedback, even if it's negative, so long as it's constructive and useful. And while I admit I do feel the same hesitancy to openly criticize work, it *is* our place to do so, so long as it's done in a civilized, respectable manner. You're not a jerk for saying you're not keen on something, so long as you're reasonable and mature about it.

And yes, I agree that not being a remixer myself makes it difficult to properly criticize or praise work in a specific, detailed manner. To be perfectly honest, I know very little about music composition and most of the jargon is utterly lost on me. I'd need someone to teach me what it all meant before I could even begin to get all of it. But that being said, I can still form an opinion based on what I think *sounds* good or original. So, I make do with what I can. *Shrugs*

And to be perfectly honest, as others have said, the judges panel pretty much sifts through whatever wasn't polished in the WIP forums, so often times there's not a lot of negative criticism to be thrown about anyway. It's a good system. XD