Hearing a remix before the original...

SwordBreaker

That just happened to me for the first time today. I was playing Star Ocean: First Departure (never played the original) when an extremely familiar track was playing in the background of a village. It took me awhile to remember where I've heard this before; Hale-Bopp's "Summertime" ReMix. As soon as I did, I appreciated the original and the remix even more.

Anyone had the same encounter? BTW, First Departure rocks. Huge fan of Star Ocean 2 on the PS1 and I was glad that the prequel's remake is modeled after SO2. Star Ocean 3 sucked.

This has happened to me a lot. I'm sorry to say I'm not as well-versed in old-school gamery as I'd like. After having gone back and played Metroid Prime, Chrono Cross, Mega Man 2 and several others, I've noticed a lot of music I hadn't remembered listening to in the first place but had nostalgia for nonetheless. Hell, FFMusicDJ's String Machine resonated so well for me that when I revisited the Corel Prison in FF7 (a song i didn't remember at all the first couple times i played through) I suddenly had a rush of nostalgia for that song.

Not to go terribly off-topic, but I recently bought the Mass Effect album for the galaxy map music even though I didn't really enjoy the game. I ended up loving the entire album so much I went back and finished the game. Then I loved the game so much I've almost gotten 100% completion on a second playthrough.

I never thought a game's music would color my experience so much with it; it brought back a game I was "meh" about to one of my favorite RPG's.

As a judge I'd say the vast majority of remixes I end up listening to are ones where I haven't heard the original first.

Same here, the entirety of the final fantasy, chrono trigger games, some of the LoZ, etc, I first heard as remixes. Its like - whenever I hear TMNT's sewer surfin, (is it even called that lol) I think of sixto's remix, and terra theme, I always think of Terra in black etc... But then again, thats what this site does, introduces you to great music that you can download for free. God I love this site :D

That just happened to me for the first time today. I was playing Star Ocean: First Departure (never played the original) when an extremely familiar track was playing in the background of a village. It took me awhile to remember where I've heard this before; Hale-Bopp's "Summertime" ReMix. As soon as I did, I appreciated the original and the remix even more.

Anyone had the same encounter? BTW, First Departure rocks. Huge fan of Star Ocean 2 on the PS1 and I was glad that the prequel's remake is modeled after SO2. Star Ocean 3 sucked.

i think there needs to be more star ocean fans out there, i love the series and SO2 to death... 3 was pretty bad until the very end, you got some pretty cool skills... never played the first one, i guess i should haha...

Truth.

Also since I'm born in -89 and never had a NES, SNES or anything I pretty much started from PSX and have heard only a fraction of earlier VGM. Heh. Yeah..

weird, im born in -88 and i was well adept in the whole classic gaming scene, but then again having an older brother and an older cousin did help also... (streets of rage ftw)

My brother typically doesn't want to hear a remix from a game he's not familiar with. I always counter with, "But if it's good music, it's good music, right?" I think that the music itself can shine through no matter whether you're familiar with it or not. Why should it be any different than anything else you listen to? Is the fact that it's a remix make it so different from hearing a song on the radio for the first time? I'd like to think that's not the case.

I love when this happens. Street Fighter 3 Third Strike was the case for me, listening to McVaffe's breakbeat piano car commercial remix was a tune I listened to a lot before actually playing the game.

By the way, I am also playing Star Ocean First Departure. I am loving every minute of it, I'll have to play the rest of the series now.

I'm playing through FFXII right now and for a while I was waiting to hear the source for avaris' The Winds of Inishmore, having forgotten where in the game it was used. Then I got my ass kicked by a boss and finally got to hear it.

Agreed. I had never played Eternal Champions when I made my remix of that theme, for example, and likewise I had never actually played Mega Man 2 either (to my recollection.)

But you've played MM2 now, right? (P.S. Answer this question wrong and you're off the panel.)

My favorite is MAKING remixes to games you've never played before.

Kinda puts a whole perspective on things when you don't know the original context.

I wholeheartedly agree. I had never played Quest For Glory before doing my FBRC2008 entry, and it was the easiest remix I've ever completed. (I'm slowly working on revising that one for submission, but it's on ice for now... I'm hopefully getting a new audio interface in the near future, so I'm waiting until I can do a proper guitar recording.)