Batman (NES) metal

So, while waiting for that one collab song to finish (still waiting for one bridge-part, and after that we can begin recording, yay!), I thought I'd create a new remix.

So, here it is: http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/135436/False_Assumption_v1.mp3

As the thread title implies, the source is Batman for the NES, though it's got lots of original stuff too in it. Also, it's very NES-synth -heavy (Tensei would kill me for using that term; "It's Sine Wave arrgagrgrgarg") and blah blah.

Length is 5:48, file size is ~9 mb. Comments?

So, while waiting for that one collab song to finish (still waiting for one bridge-part, and after that we can begin recording, yay!), I thought I'd create a new remix.

So, here it is: http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/135436/False_Assumption_v1.mp3

As the thread title implies, the source is Batman for the NES, though it's got lots of original stuff too in it. Also, it's very NES-synth -heavy (Tensei would kill me for using that term; "It's Sine Wave arrgagrgrgarg") and blah blah.

Length is 5:48, file size is ~9 mb. Comments?

Ok, I'm liking the arrangement. Could you post a link to the source? Then I can comment on the arrangement :D

I'm not sure using 8-bit synths is a good idea. I would personally replace them with high quality synth.

The intro sounds a little like POTC with Nes synths :D

It sounds a little muddy. The guitars take up a large part of the sound and the strings and synth are occupying similar frequencys. EQ them a little try and make each instrument defined.

The bass also gets lost in the mix.

Also the drums aren't prominant enough enough. I can barely hear them though the majority of the track.

The transition to the section with that change of tempo is very sudden. Not well executed IMO. I would re-work it, it even throws me off when I am expecting it :S

The arrangement is great - Post the source, and ;ll comment more thoroughly on it :D

Great work, hope to see this updated soon.

BTW, 9 MBs is a large filesize. If you submit this in some way or form at some point, it can't be over 6 MB

Source (I hope you have an NSF player): http://www.zophar.net/download_file/8760

The tracks used : 1/11 (the end section) & 3/11

Neko: Icky? :D Well...if you can elaborate, then I'll see what I can do. Re-recording is no problem, as I'm grown very accustomed to it by now, but if it's just the eq you're having a problem with, let me know and I'll adjust it to the best of my knowledge.

Also, the final section is supposed to be a bit sudden, but if it's that much of a negative, I'll rework on it.

Thanks for the comments!

Can't listen to source atm.

The lead synth is a little noisy. Cleaner and louder would probably work better, tho a more complex sound could work just as well. Mixing is a bit off just before the guitar comes in. Feels like it's lacking highs. Might be lacking highs elsewhere as well, the mix doesn't have that crisp clean sound to it.

Gotta agree with Neko on the guitar tone, it's not that pretty. I don't mind it much, but more guitar-oriented listeners might be bothered by it in its current state.

Kick sounds like someone's knocking on plastic. It either needs more highs or more punch... or both. You might want to try another sample.

Overall, the simple synths could use some processing, such as subtle volume, cutoff and pitch modulation. I noticed pitch bends and note fades, but I'd like to hear more. If you're going for a chippy sound, make it chippier, and if you're not, give the simple synths some more complexity and texture.

The writing is fine with me, tho you know I can't comment on source. Gotta download audio overload to this machine. I like what this sounds like it's gonna be. :D Good stuff man.

Source (I hope you have an NSF player): http://www.zophar.net/download_file/8760

Afraid I don't.

Tracked em down on youtube. Have I missed any?

And yeah, that transition is to sudden. Rework it.

As for the guitar, I don't think you need to re-record it, it justs needs mixing better.

I'm not sure that the Nes square synth is a good lead though. I think it works for the intro, but you need a MUCH better synth for your lead instrument. It sounds weak compared to the other instruments and is drowned out by the guitar (most of the instruments are)

Awright, I appreciate the input you all have been giving. :)

I'll add more variety to the lead (I'm keeping the sample, just because it's somewhat my thing when it comes to leads), meaning more vibrato etc etc, it's easy to do...

Noted the drum thing too; atm the kick is one of the free Kenardency kicks; I'll see if there's anything better.

The guitar muddiness is, again, the one thing I'm gonna need the most assistance with, since it's been a major factor in all of my remixes. I don't know if it's because my guitar is crappy (actually it is, an old abused piece of asdasd), or if I'm using the wrong preset for that kinda stuff, but I'll see if I can make it stand out more without drowning everything else.

Tips and pointers on the case are naturally more than welcome so if you've got something creative to say, go ahead. It helps a lot as it is, though, so thanks again to all of you.

A small update: http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/135436/FalseAssumption_v2.mp3

Nothing too major though. I removed the synth bass it previously had and laid my own (except to the last part). I also tried to make the guitars less ugly.

I'll work on the NES melodies in a couple of days, to give them more variety.

If you think it's any better, let me know. (Or, of course if it's worse or if it sounds the same to you) :>

I'm listening to the second version right now, it's definitely less muddy than previously. The guitar sounds more crisp than in the first version, and the bass is less drowned out.

The drum arrangement doesn't sound bad, but the tone is a little hollow. I'd like to hear more of the kick, but that's just me.

I'm not fully convinced about the synth, but it's definitely improved with the removal of the bass.

What kind of guitar/rig are you using?

My guitar is a pre-teen Fender Squier (meaning it's about 9 or 10 years old, I know I should get a new guitar), that might have seen some abuse during its cycle :)

As for recording, I use Guitar Rig 3's Ubersonic preset, except for the delay and reverb, which I've shut down. I recorded everything twice, then panned them hard left and hard right. Also, after recording and adding the tracks to Reason 3, I put just a liiiiitle bit of high eq and a slight bass boost (I don't do that normally but I did for this song). In the previous version (v.1) I had cut all the low frequencies, which probably was partly the reason why the guitars sounded the way they did (I don't know why I had done that). Hope that answers your question!

Also, as for the bass, it's played with the same guitar using Picked Bass Deep -preset (I think), but after recording I lowered the pitch in Adobe Audition by an octave. Then I added a bit of Scream Distortion, and turned the bass knob in the mixer to the max. I also strengthened the lows in Scream Distortion. It still might not sound exactly like a true bass, but I think it's still a lot better than using bass samples.

alright - your guitars aren't too muddy here - not sure if you changed things around - they have that static (death metal pedal) distortion to me - it's all high mids - you can really tell whats cutting through with them when you lower the volume of the track - if you want them to be heavier you need to look at getting them to flow with your drums and bass more and try to find more room for them in the low mids - what you've done here is pull them back in the mix and raised the high mids to cut - it's alright but it loses it's power if thats what you want

guitar rig 3 is great but really make your own presets - i have found their presets to be rather lacking from the ones i've made myself - i'm sure it changes from guitar to guitar or preamp to preamp - but this is my experience

your kick sounds a little weird to me - it's this weird crossbreed of synthetic/real which totally works for the track - but it's really hollow - seems like it has verb - and doesn't mix the greatest with the bass - which i can't really hear for half the mix

you got musical skills it's the just production you gotta keep at

i would definitely look to invest in a nice drum sample library to help your mixes out

Overall it has a great potential. I don't really mind the low fi synths.

However, the general mix is too muddy. Specially on the lows and low mids.

The drums. The kick kinda gets on my nerves. Try lowerng the pitch or changing the kit piece, then give it more attack (boost some mid highs) so it doesn't fight the bass.

The guitars are all over the place, at 1:36 i could really hear the tone. I like it. Did you used Haaz or double tracked? You should still cut a lot of lows from the guitars to give more air to the bass and kick.