OCR01774 - Super Dodge Ball "Rove You Rong Time"

djpretzel

Let me just take the opportunity to say that I loved the No Balls No Glory album. Pure gold. The whole tracklist was solid and well put together, and 'Rove You Rong Time' is no exception. I love the chinese piano melody and the soft, smooth beat.

I've literally got nothing bad to say about this one. Get this.

This is both my favorite track from "No Balls, No Glory", and my favorite track from Dhsu. Everything just scream "sexy" here, the simple Asian melodies fit the style perfectly, the harmony is rich, the solos are equally soulful and smart, in essence, it's a very good, solid track that stands out in any playlist of the style.

(Mustin's production is also excellent.)

OK, this sounds like some jazz-type music; a little RnB influence, but more jazz.

I was listening normally @ the beginning and felt an instant jive when the music started kicking in. Each time a new set of arrangements took place, I could just feel it as if it were a woman's sexual slap across the grooves of my back. Just... ooh...

I'll come back after repeating the song a few times. Oh yeah, girl, try and super dodge these balls...

Pretty great stuff, though I almost wish the bass and backing chords took a more active approach in some of the transitions, or some rhythmic unison lines; I'm not saying that this isn't the hotness, because is really is, I was just hearing something else; maybe a little more syncopation.

Organ seems a little piercing for it's brief entrance, but it's short and not a huge deal. Beautiful rhodes solo, and the rhythm near the end gets a bit funky, I dig it. I will definitely love this song for a long time.

Being a sucker for this kind of music, this song is right up my alley. I love the instruments, the laid back atmosphere, and the asian influence it has, as that is something you don't see too often in this kind of remix.

My only gripe is that the remix is a quite a bit louder than other remixes, which results in some volume issues when it's played as part of a playlist.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Its tracks like this that make me like NBNG; they not only turn convention on its head but also turn it inside out.

This mix, and a few others, helps balance out the more intense tracks of NBNG, and I like. Very mellow and relaxing. Great work. :-P

• 2 months later...

This came right out of left field. I would have never picked this as a Dhsu mix. There's some real broadening of range happening with this one. Not that the expected expertise on piano isn't present here.

The original NES theme is slowed right down, which I wasn't too sure about at the beginning, because the blazing pace of the Super Dodge Ball soundtrack was what I liked about it. But I was sold on the decision by the end; when mellow music is as good as this, there's not much to complain about.

The mix may be a little too obviously oriental, but that comes with the territory. SDB wasn't the first game to exploit musical stereotypes to represent international cultures, it certainly wasn't the last. With a source like this, I'm glad the cliche was embraced and not detrimentally shied away from.

Overall, some very enjoyable work from a constantly evolving mixer. Rove it.

• 4 weeks later...

I've just found out about this track, and I was amazed by the turn taken here.

Original tune is very catchy, and was re-interpreted here in a very clever way.

The piano solos are nice & really give this piece a colorful vibe.

I luved the groove approach of this track. Reminds me a lot of the Neptunes.

Dhsu put the bar very high for anyone to pass after him...

Which puts me under pressure, since I'm doing team china for the ATW project.

Anyway, great arrangement. Recommended.

Each time a new set of arrangements took place, I could just feel it as if it were a woman's sexual slap across the grooves of my back. Just... ooh...

I'll come back after repeating the song a few times. Oh yeah, girl, try and super dodge these balls...

This is easily the most horrifying remix review I've seen to date.

• 5 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01774 - Super Dodge Ball "Rove You Rong Time"