Lufia I & II: The World Will Know (symphonic rock)

Nekofrog

NEW VERSION:

Musically not a lot has changed -- I have done a new guitar line here and there, but the primary concern with this new version lies with the drums. I've changed it up a bit, but also left a lot of the old drumlines in -- I've just come to like them a lot. The reworked drums don't come in until about two minutes in. I'll probably redo a bit more of the drums as time progresses. Hoping to have this done by the end of January.

Also, vocals still need to be recorded (hopefully that'll get taken care of after Magfest), and I've written some new sections (not recorded yet) with singing in mind (no words, just some "ohhh's" from starla).

http://ocrwip.fireslash.net/?action=single&f=lufiareworked.mp3

2514900209_562eeb4448.jpg?v=0

NEW VERSION: Thanks guys, I'll throw you a bone. Have reworked it a bit (drums again, are last, and the placeholder track is still there but I have done a BIT of tweaking in some places).

I have the tune pretty much done length wise, I just need to fill it in with with the vocals.

This version actually has one vocal line in it, the one take I was most happy with from DrumUltima (who still needs to do a few more takes... and starla has to do hers.. where are you starla? D: ).

So here's a bit of explanation about the track:

Empty stretches with just the clean guitar are the spots where dialogue will go, for example:

2:23 - 3:02: Iris' final speech to Maxim before she fades away for however many years and is reborn as Lufia (WHOOPS SPOILERS). Iris' theme kicks in right when her speech ends, and repeats twice (I'm going to spruce up the repeated part).

4:16 - 4:43 is the final exchange between Selan and Maxim as Selan lays dying in Maxim's arms, while the Sinistral's floating island they're on crashes to the earth and kills them both (SPOILARS WHAPS). DrumUltima's take at 4:37 REALLY impressed me, and I think it gives the piece a LOT more emotional OOMPH, and actually gets to me whenever I listen to it :(

Here is the dialogue as it has been rewritten for the parts (because it's kind of stilted straight from the game):

2:22 - 3:03

Iris: This was a battle of judgement for us... that you exist,

and resonate with the dual blade, means that people act

apart from the Sinistrals. defeat them, and you need them

not.

But humans still need faith. The dual blade began to

ring, and thus, I came to you... to see everything. To see

the end.

I am the Mistress of Death. It would be against my

nature to save the lives of so many.

With my final breath, I shall open the door leading below. There is

little time left, but I will be watching from afar to see

whether or not people have the power to build their own future.

4:16 - 44:3:

Maxim: Selan, I've changed the the course of the island. Our son will be safe now.

Maxim: I'm tired. I'm so tired, Selan. Let me just... sleep next to you...

Selan: Oh, Maxim... I want to go... I want to go and see our son again...

Maxim: Just rest... I'll hold you till the end. I promise.

And here... we go: http://www.tindeck.com/audio/my/dzfv/Lufiadialogue

-------

OLD VERSION: http://www.tindeck.com/audio/my/leyk/lufia2

Longer. Some of the lead work needs a few more tracks to make them sound less hollow, but other than that it's shaping up nicely melody-wise. Drums of course will be changed when the entire piece is done, that always comes last for me.

OLD

So I've done a countless number of Lufia attempts... thrash metal, power metal, death metal... none of it seemed to work for me. So here we go, my attempt at a symphonic rock tune. I think this is it; this is the direction to go with it. Once the drums kick in, I am seriously loving this track.

The only problem is, I need vocalists for it. Male and female, one of each, and maybe some other males for spoken word parts (to read off game dialogue). Any volunteers? I need real, capable, able vocalists.

http://www.tindeck.com/audio/my/xfrl/lufia

The only problem is, I need vocalists for it. Male and female, one of each, and maybe some other males for spoken word parts (to read off game dialogue). Any volunteers? I need real, capable, able vocalists.

haha you know I just got done listening to zealous entropy at DoD.

Id help you out bro but my voice kind of sucks. im only good at indian impressions, and even then its pathetic.

yeah i dont even know why i posted really.

Now, what kind of Male vocals are we talking about here? High like... Symphony X or something lower than that?

Just need the clarification, because though I have gained confidence in myself as a vocalist, I am still definitely not a tenor. On the other hand, I can do spoken things rather well.

Now, I think this mix is a bit too... low, cut below 80hz on that bass so it doesn't interfere too much with the kick.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys, I'll throw you a bone. Have reworked it a bit (drums again, are last, and the placeholder track is still there but I have done a BIT of tweaking in some places).

I have the tune pretty much done length wise, I just need to fill it in with with the vocals.

This version actually has one vocal line in it, the one take I was most happy with from DrumUltima (who still needs to do a few more takes... and starla has to do hers.. where are you starla? D: ).

So here's a bit of explanation about the track:

Empty stretches with just the clean guitar are the spots where dialogue will go, for example:

2:23 - 3:02: Iris' final speech to Maxim before she fades away for however many years and is reborn as Lufia (WHOOPS SPOILERS). Iris' theme kicks in right when her speech ends, and repeats twice (I'm going to spruce up the repeated part).

4:16 - 4:43 is the final exchange between Selan and Maxim as Selan lays dying in Maxim's arms, while the Sinistral's floating island they're on crashes to the earth and kills them both (SPOILARS WHAPS). DrumUltima's take at 4:37 REALLY impressed me, and I think it gives the piece a LOT more emotional OOMPH, and actually gets to me whenever I listen to it :(

Here is the dialogue as it has been rewritten for the parts (because it's kind of stilted straight from the game):

2:22 - 3:03

Iris: This was a battle of judgement for us... that you exist,

and resonate with the dual blade, means that people act

apart from the Sinistrals. defeat them, and you need them

not.

But humans still need faith. The dual blade began to

ring, and thus, I came to you... to see everything. To see

the end.

I am the Mistress of Death. It would be against my

nature to save the lives of so many.

With my final breath, I shall open the door leading below. There is

little time left, but I will be watching from afar to see

whether or not people have the power to build their own future.

4:16 - 44:3:

Maxim: Selan, I've changed the the course of the island. Our son will be safe now.

Maxim: I'm tired. I'm so tired, Selan. Let me just... sleep next to you...

Selan: Oh, Maxim... I want to go... I want to go and see our son again...

Maxim: Just rest... I'll hold you till the end. I promise.

And here... we go: http://www.tindeck.com/audio/my/dzfv/Lufiadialogue

Is there a delay on the first guitar? You might want to do a high pass on the wet signal to keep it from being muddy. Which it feels like atm.

Crashes and hats sound a little trashy. Hats seem to lack some highs. The overall sound is a little messy, it could use some more EQ separation.

There's a lot of repetition that'll be behind the voices. You could vary the drums a little more there, just to keep things from getting too static.

Ending it with a fade-out feels a little like a cop-out, but it works fine.

Pretty cool. Good luck with it.

Is there a delay on the first guitar? You might want to do a high pass on the wet signal to keep it from being muddy. Which it feels like atm.

Crashes and hats sound a little trashy. Hats seem to lack some highs. The overall sound is a little messy, it could use some more EQ separation.

There's a lot of repetition that'll be behind the voices. You could vary the drums a little more there, just to keep things from getting too static.

Ending it with a fade-out feels a little like a cop-out, but it works fine.

Pretty cool. Good luck with it.

Well, like I said in the first post, drums are all last, so when the final bit of dialogue is recorded I'll move onto the drums and sort them out (both production and sequencing).

I can't believe no one has commented on the orchestral bits in the beginning.

Anyone have any input on the strings behind the clean guitar? I don't know much about working with 'em, but I figured I got them sounding okay.

• 3 weeks later...

NEW VERSION:

Musically not a lot has changed -- I have done a new guitar line here and there, but the primary concern with this new version lies with the drums. I've changed it up a bit, but also left a lot of the old drumlines in -- I've just come to like them a lot. The reworked drums don't come in until about two minutes in. I'll probably redo a bit more of the drums as time progresses. Hoping to have this done by the end of January.

Also, vocals still need to be recorded (hopefully that'll get taken care of after Magfest), and I've written some new sections (not recorded yet) with singing in mind (no words, just some "ohhh's" from starla).

http://www.tindeck.com/audio/my/dbtg/lufiareworked

I have been listening to music on OC for almost 7 years and never bothered to get a forum account until I heard this song today, because I wanted to say how awesome it is. With or without lyrics this is the best Lufia remix I have ever heard. I have been waiting for the fortress theme to get some attention and this is perfect. I loved Lufia 2 growing up and hearing this lets me relive the ending of that game in an almost cinematic way that was quite amazing, brought a tear to my eye honestly.

I noticed Atomicfrog suggested it be speed up by 10% which i tried. Gives a completely different feel, which i liked but im not sure which i prefer. I feel like the original version is more dramatic and appropriate to words between the character which you want to add. The faster version has more energy and ads a bit of adrenaline to it which really reminds me of the end of lufia 2. Either way unbelievably well done. Cant wait to see this finished and posted.

P.S you think when you finish this you could do something with "Turret Forgotten", "For the Savior", or the Lufia 2 ending theme. I would love to hear what you could do with that.

P.S you think when you finish this you could do something with "Turret Forgotten", "For the Savior", or the Lufia 2 ending theme. I would love to hear what you could do with that.

Interesting you should mention For the Savior. Considering I am working on my own remix of it. We'll see how that progresses. :D

http://www.ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19725

• 3 weeks later...

I'll echo what everyone else has said - it's really good so far.

I was expecting, well, something symphonic in it, and missed it entirely :(. I'm thinking Symphony X kind of symphonic or something, but it only has guitar (really great guitar work BTW, but still only guitar). It's a small detail and doesn't take away from what's here, but it would've been cool. The music is down, however, and slapping an orchestra behind your music will do more harm than good at this point, so moving on...

... ya, I'm just complaining about the thread title. Having Starla sing over this will help the track greatly, as the guitar sounds more like an accompaniment rather than the lead, so it will complete the direction of the piece. Lufia has some very great music to mix. I'm glad your picking the best of the best here and treating it with your talent. I hope to hear this finished soon!