Lufia I & II: The World Will Know (symphonic rock)

Nekofrog

There's plenty of orchestra behind it. Symphony X is progressive metal. Symphonic simply refers to the orchestra behind the rock music.

You don't hear the strings in the intro?

I also have written some more orchestral stuff but I haven't released that in the latest version yet (still waiting for the vocals for the newest WIP to be released).

Yes, Symphony X is progressive metal, and I wouldn't dare tell you to change your style, as it is really good (Even better than Sixto in many ways... :)). I was actually referring to their use of the 'symphony' during one of their album's, 'Odyssey'. Sorry if that wasn't clear before - I forgot the name of the album at the time of the last post. The samples for their instruments are... terrible, but he guitar/bass/drum work is integrated nicely in the orchestra, which consists of brass, WW's, percussion, and strings. I haven't listened to them in a while (like, for a year now?), so I can't say how well it was really done. I've got to give them another go tonight... Perhaps a better example would be the FF7 Advent Children mix of the One-Winged Angel song, and how Nobuo uses the guitar with the orchestra (as he can do no wrong!).

Now, I'm not saying this is a bad remix by any stretch of the imagination, but frankly the strings in the background sound like reverb from the guitar overtones as it is (which is why, I admit, I missed them before). Also, using only strings isn't quite classified as 'symphonic' to me... I'd actually like to hear more from the other instrument groups as well (woodwinds, keyboards, perhaps a touch of brass), as the strings are getting lost in the mix. Also, if the orchestra was moving against the guitar every so often (in counter motion or as a counter melody), the texture was varied (the 'block chord' texture is used very heavily in the strings right now), and the chord structure changed every so often (as is, the only chord structures that I hear are open root chords with the root on top), the listener would hear it better.

You said that your next WIP includes more orchestral work in it... I'm looking forward to that! I'm just trying to help with everything I'm saying; hopefully I clarified my last post with this one. Again, I really like the remix. The guitar is great, the drums are clear, the mix is clean, the vocalist is (*hem*, will be) great, and the source is an excellent choice. I'm just saying if you want an orchestral part behind (or, preferably, with) the guitar, you may need to work on the orchestration a bit.

BTW, even if it had no orchestra in it, I think this would have a great chance of being accepted in OCR when your done with it (and the strings do help the piece, by the way :)).

Edit: I can' really tell if your being sarcastic with the strings in the comment, so if you are, then, well, you probably already know the stuff I said in this post :P

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

not to necro thread this, but I was just reminiscing, and thought of this song. My guess is its been shelved and never completed as it hasnt been posted under Nekofrogs songs which makes me sad. So if thats the case is there anywhere where i can find/listen to the version as it was. I remember all that was needed was the lyrics, and it sounded amazing even with out them.

if there isn't i guess that is the way it goes...