The Future of Metroid

Overflow

Nintendo's going to have to sooner or later address the issue of what takes place after Metroid Fusion, hopefully soon, 'cause I want to know. However, what the next game should be like is completely unknown at this point.

I think that the next Metroid game, which was codenamed 'Dread' apparently, should be a 2d game for wii in the same style as the new Wario Land. Hand drawn Samus, backgrounds and animations would be gorgeous, and I think would fit the theme of the game well. Not cartoony mind you, but hand drawn in the style of previous metroid games.

As far as story is concerned, there are a couple obvious obstacles. Anyone who's played Fusion knows that *SPOILERS* Samus is infused with metroid DNA, she's on the run from the federation, her ship has the mind of her old CO and, unless there was a second lab, there should be no more metroids in the galaxy. */SPOILERS* This means that Samus wouldn't have a "mission" in the next game, so it would have to entail more of an 'unfinished business' approach, such as tracking down space pirates, searching for chozo relics, etc. I also think the game should retain the running and evading mechanic from the SA-X and the Space Pirates in Zero Mission, but instead of those two, they'd be Federation Troops the game would make you encounter, similar to the SA-X. I would also like to see more revelation of the original Adam, perhaps in the form of playable flashbacks. Also, the game should have about the same amount of narration as Prime 3, but be much less linear than Fusion. This could be easily attained by simply making it impossible for Samus to communicate with her ship when underground (Metals in the rock or something).

Also: Admiral Dane must return.

Thoughts?

It's tough to say where things should go after Fusion. The thing about the end of Fusion is that if they follow out the story of corruption in the Federation to its logical end, Samus will of course have to take them down. That could make for a hell of a game series. Don't even get me started on the ship based combat you could incorporate.

What I see kind of happening as time goes on in the series lore is that Samus becomes more and more one with the Metroids she's hunted for so long, and aligns less and less with people who want to destroy them or use them for their own means. At this point, she has Metroid DNA fused into her suit. You could use that for a story hook to actually let her control Metroids... there's any number of places you could go with it really. I just wish they'd hurry up and make it. It'll be 6 years 5 days from now since we've heard from that end of the storyline.

As much as I want to see a new Metroid game, I also think they should remake Metroid II. A lot of people probably didn't get to play it since it was on the Gameboy.

Dude...that would make my week

I havent played Metroid II since i was like 9

I played zero mission, and it was ok, i kinda liked it better than the original, cause it was enhanced

You people forget the most single important event, the most significant moment in Fusion:

There were space pirates and Ridley on the station. The federation controls the space pirates. They never went on SR-388 for X to infest them and clone them, and Ridley, after Super Metroid, was supposedly dead on a blown up planet. So the federation has a ridley production plant somewhere.

You people forget the most single important event, the most significant moment in Fusion:

There were space pirates and Ridley on the station. The federation controls the space pirates. They never went on SR-388 for X to infest them and clone them, and Ridley, after Super Metroid, was supposedly dead on a blown up planet. So the federation has a ridley production plant somewhere.

I can see what you're saying, but remember that the federation created the bounty hunter force for the sole purpose of destroying the space pirates. Unless, of course, you're suggesting a 'corruption'...?

I always figured that Ridley's remains were constantly scooped up by space pirates to rebuild him. Also, if there is more than one Ridley, that kind of takes away a lot of his coolness and the essence of Samus' hatred for him. In this case, however, I had assumed that the federation managed to find his body and freeze it, in the hopes that the pirates wouldn't find it.

As for the pirates on the station, good point, that always bugged me...In Super metroid they were originally called Zebesians, so I thought that maybe that's the race, and Space Pirates are a sort of renegade group of Zebesians and other creatures, like Kraid?

I can see what you're saying, but remember that the federation created the bounty hunter force for the sole purpose of destroying the space pirates. Unless, of course, you're suggesting a 'corruption'...?

I always figured that Ridley's remains were constantly scooped up by space pirates to rebuild him. Also, if there is more than one Ridley, that kind of takes away a lot of his coolness and the essence of Samus' hatred for him. In this case, however, I had assumed that the federation managed to find his body and freeze it, in the hopes that the pirates wouldn't find it.

As for the pirates on the station, good point, that always bugged me...In Super metroid they were originally called Zebesians, so I thought that maybe that's the race, and Space Pirates are a sort of renegade group of Zebesians and other creatures, like Kraid?

It's a bit more complicated than that. They were Zebesian pirates, but they weren't native to Zebes according to the latest lore we have. But Zebes doesn't matter, X was on SR-388, and then brought on the station. The pirates never officially went on SR-388, or less they would have more than the metroids they've stolen. They never clearly stated that X could replicate creatures not infected on the station. In fact, X never replicated creatures that weren't on the station.

Also, now Samus carries the Metroid heritage, but also the X heritage in her body, so she holds 2 deadly races in her body, as well as the Chozo's secrets.

We know of at least 2 Ridleys, if not 3 or 4 really:

In Zero Mission, we have Ridley 1, the original biological Ridley. You also have robot Ridley.

The following event, Prime 1, had Cyber-Ridley (With ZM's retelling, I like to think the cloning division and the robot crafters had a meeting and decided to just mix what they had left of Ridley 1 and robot ridley and make a whatever the hell it was.

Skipe prime 2

In Prime 3, Ridley was entirely biological, but was also Phazon infused.Phason alters the biology, so even if mecha ridley, being re-healed in an entirely biological creature, he would not be clonable from a phazon altered Ridley. I think at that point, the pirates decided to screw it and just start cloning Ridley.

Skip metroid 2

He came back in Super Metroid, fully biological and much closer to his Zero Mission level of ability. He was defeated mere moments before the planet was blown up. It was implied that no space pirates could have escaped the destruction of Zebes. In fact, Metroid 3 was the end of the space pirates. Mother Brain was blown up, their super secret secret home base along with the ground under it was vaporised.

Ridley's body was seen frozen in Fusion, but it could not be dead, since X mimics living organisms.

Also, when was the first time the federation in contact with Ridley?

Prime 1, on the frigatte that was attacked by the pirates... a federation frigatte, cloning gigantic murderous creatures (parasite queen?). On the frigatte, it was a Ridley that also happened to be fully healed. The first contact between Ridley and the federation. The second time was in Prime 3, during the battle, but that Ridley did not die until his later incarnation.

But again, how was Ridley present on a federation base once more?

Also, at that point, the Federation must have gotten data on Metroids, I suspect their involvment predates the larva incident simply because federation ships have been found on 3 planets where metroids had been brought by Samus, one of which wasn't blown up to bits. In fact, thanks to Prime, we can safely assume the pirates have other Metroid study facilities.

Also, would the space station in Fusion be the only metroid research center?

Finally, who had the idea of using Metroids as power source?

It's heavily implied in the manga and various scans in the Primes that Ridley has always been the same Ridley, and that Ridley is able to regenerate his physical body by eating the corpses of other organisms (notably, humans). This would sufficiently explain his ability to return, if you assume that he was revived from his defeat in Metroid via mechanical transplants.

I also think that it's important to note that just because you watch him 'disintegrate' in the various 2D games, doesn't mean that's what canonically happens. Obviously, there is little that they can do in the way of cutscenes in most of those games, so it'd be difficult to actually portray what may or may not have happened.

I would LOVE for them to make Metroid 5 but I just don't see it happening. Fusion was a big seller but I dunno...Nintendo's new strategy just doesn't seem to allow for direct plot sequels (which really I'd say is Nintendo's biggest problem with continuing Metroid in general. Metroid just doesn't seem to fit their new image. I can only hope they don't abandon it).

If it DID happen however, I would love to see Samus be a fugitive from the Federation. That would make for one of the most interesting Metroid plots as far as I'm concerned. Just so long as the gameplay is 2D and is no more simplified than Zero Mission I think it could be fantastic. (Of course, I'll get anything Metroid, even a re-release - I'm just being optimistic).

It's heavily implied in the manga and various scans in the Primes that Ridley has always been the same Ridley, and that Ridley is able to regenerate his physical body by eating the corpses of other organisms (notably, humans).

I don't recall this in the Primes. Haven't played 3 yet, though, so if I'm missing something there, that's why.

Really, like with Zelda, I want to see a complete, radical overhaul of the series and start from scratch. Look at what made the original great, and then try to make a new game as if none of the others existed.

I feel like Shadow of the Colossus is inadvertently an example of this. The game feels as though the only game the designer had ever played was the original Zelda and he wanted to recreate that experience with modern hardware. That's what I want to see with Metroid.