The Future of Metroid

Overflow

Zero Suit Samus is sure hot, but I have to agree with the people who say it's better for her to leave the suit on. That mysteriousness and hidden sexuality make Samus what she is and making her appearance available at all times (like in Smash brothers) detracts from it.

Also, my only complaint about Metroid Prime 3 was the multiple-planet layout of the game. It was a cool diversion, but yes, being lost in one huge planet is what Metroid is all about. Personally, I like the fact that they're giving the game a rest. I'd also like to see a reboot for the Zelda franchise and a feel more akin to the first NES games (not graphically, but moodwise). How about that badass leveling system from Zelda 2 and some more spells?

Flame sword? Projectile sword? Hookshot on enemies? How about the game not holding your hand so damn much and just letting you wonder off and get your ass kicked by going two screens in the wrong direction? Oops, this is about Metroid. Sorry.

How about the game not holding your hand so damn much and just letting you wonder off and get your ass kicked by going two screens in the wrong direction? Oops, this is about Metroid. Sorry.

To be perfectly fair some of the metroid games are like this, too. I remember the first time I encountered an Alpha and it killed me. That wasn't funny at all.

Why would you need a map? I just wAndered around until I found all the metroids. It sucks you had to have a minimum number of missiles to beat the queen. =P

I wish nintendo would make a new metroid for the wii, but have it 2d, warioland style. I think the graphincs on warioland look sooo awesome. I love high quality sprites. ^__^

Why would you need a map? I just wAndered around until I found all the metroids. It sucks you had to have a minimum number of missiles to beat the queen. =P

I wish nintendo would make a new metroid for the wii, but have it 2d, warioland style. I think the graphincs on warioland look sooo awesome. I love high quality sprites. ^__^

Well, most of the areas look so similar and there are even some that, with a wrong turn, will bring you into a different place with no way back. Plus, there weren't any different enough songs to differentiate between areas.

I actually saw an interesting way to defeat the queen I wish I'd thought of: Missile her mouth so she freezes then morph ball into her mouth and drop bombs in her gut. I just beat her old school, although it took me a couple dozen tries.

NES Metroid was pretty hard too. Those rooms in Brinstar still mess me up.

Any Metroid Fusion sequels should use this suit you see here at the end of the game:

http://www.vgmuseum.com/end/gba/b/mf_2.htm

It's not exactly her "Fusion" suit, nor is it her "Varia" suit. It's both- basically. She's in her "Fusion suit" and then recovers the removed pieces of her Varia suit from the SA-X. I just call it the post-Fusion suit.

I thought how it worked with the whole fusion-suit incompatible-with-your-ice-beam recover the varia suit reenable Ice Beam weapon discharge was pretty cool too, because of Metroid's one weakness- incompatibility with extreme cold.

The suit also is pretty cool aesthetically looking. Less bulky while retaining the classic look. You can notice her feminine hips without her being "Zero Suit."

for some reason, i don't think a 2D wii metroid would feel as smooth as it would on a ds. i don't know, maybe because i felt like warioland wii was a little more sluggish than the gameboy color games

I'm just about to trade Warioland Shake It! I just didn't really enjoy it that much, not to mention that I ended up not liking the whole shake aesthetic. I'd prefer Wario World on Gamecube or Virtual Boy anyday.

I think a new 2-D metroid on DS or Wii is in order. I think it'd be cool to see it either done with hand drawn style, or with great detail.

I hadn't played Fusion or Zero Mission since they respectfully came out. So I decided to play them again. I beat Fusion yesterday and popped in Zero Mission. Now, I like Zero Mission, but I prefer the art of Fusion. It seemed more fluid. I think it might be the backgrounds in Zero Mission that are throwing me off. I know the original just had the standard NES black background, but the ones made for Zero Mission seem so much like generic stock art, like the backgrounds for custom stages in Super Smash Brothers Brawl. Although the Kirby dots are neat. Never noticed those before.

I will give Zero Mission props for doing something that Fusion didn't get. Zero Mission's scarier. Fusion was pretty predictable. Go to X (variable, not the parasite) location, get X, fight X (variable and parasite). So you're usually prepared for the boss since you get a red X parasite from the boss door to heal you. The bosses have been just popping out of nowhere in Zero Mission. Pretty shocking for someone playing the game on sleeping pills.

I'll agree on Zero Mission being scary but I thought it was WAY to linear. Maybe I just have some sentimental value for the original Metroid on the NES, but I love just wandering. I remember I used to bust my nuts when I found new areas.

One thing is for sure though. 3D Metroid titles will NEVER replace the 2D ones for me. And for most games. I can't stand 3D Mortal Kombat.

It took me 24 hours to beat Super Metroid the first time, having to discover where to go all the time and how to do things.

I was also, what, 7?

All Metroid games are roughly linear in that they have an intended sequence. When you get used to the style you pick up on where you're supposed to go next when you acquire a new item, it'll start feeling pretty linear. Without some experience with what you're doing, most sequence breaks would be pretty accidental. Zero Mission's level of sequence breaks is actually pretty high.

Zero Mission is still my favourite Metroid game of all. The first time through it was nothing special, but the low-item and/or speed runs are epic!! While all the Metroid games have some sort of prize for beating the game differently (item percentages, speed, and... *ugh* scans), Zero Mission seems like the first (and only) game in the series to be made specifically for these runs. There's a prize (a picture) for 100% items in (I believe) under two hours in hard mode, several pictures for < 15% item acquisition, and several others. Such a short game, but SOOOO replayable and challenging, and the bosses are the most fun I've ever played.

My point: I REALLY hope the next 2D Metroid game does this tons-of-ways-to-beat-the-game / sequence-breaking approach, whether it's a short game or a long game. In fact, that would be great for a 3D Metroid game as well (if there ever is another one). While the low-item run in Prime 1 was really fun, it was virtually impossible in Prime 2.... and if someone can do a low-item run in Prime 3, I'd like to watch them beat Dark Samus =O

And personally, I think Metroid Prime 3 is by far the most linear. If you try to get any of the special ending prizes in Zero Mission, it's not linear at all. I'd usually end up beating Ridley before even entering Kraid's lair =p

Zero Mission was actually the first metroid game I'd ever played, back when Samus was only a character in smash bros to me, and I would say that that should be the first Metroid game everyone plays, not only because it's the first in the story, but also because it's the most streamlined and (possibly) the most atmospheric of them all.

There are a ton of sequence breaks in Zero mission. In fact, the game was designed with them in mind, so you're sort of supposed to play the game in the wrong order the first time. For example: you don't need the long shot to get into east brinstar, you don't don't need the high jump, and it's possible to get the super missile before you fight the creepy flying larva bug thing. And now, I'll need to try and beat Ridley before entering Kraid now, because I don't believe you, FriendlyHunter.

Also: Kirby dots? Wut?

Zero Mission was actually the first metroid game I'd ever played, back when Samus was only a character in smash bros to me, and I would say that that should be the first Metroid game everyone plays, not only because it's the first in the story, but also because it's the most streamlined and (possibly) the most atmospheric of them all.

Most atmospheric, really? I can't think of any place in the game that's all that atmospheric, especially compared to Super Metroid and Metroid Prime 1... but it was your first Metroid game so I see how it'd seem really atmospheric.

Or maybe I just thought the atmosphere was severely lacking because I was comparing Zero Mission places to the corrosponding areas in the original Metroid =p

It's hard to beat Kraid's lair with a black background and the NES Kraid's Lair theme. It's also hard to make an area that's more atmospheric :tomatoface:

Also: Kirby dots? Wut?

I second this "Wut?"

*looks it up on google*

Ah, I see - it has nothing to do with (>'.')>

Here be kirby dots:

firey_sm.gif