Guitaring for a dummy... ((Me.))

I'm wanting to make remixes in much the same fashion as one of my favorite mixers, sixto sounds. I can play fairly well, though I'm definitely far from pro. Rythmn is the best I can hope to accomplish at this point, but that should serve my purposes ofr now.

So my question is, what would you suggest as a set-up for someone like me who only has a horrible guitar ((Old fender with a replaced neck and the strings half an inch over the pick-ups. Not good for lead.)), A small Crate amp, and a Boss distortion pedal in his arsenal?

So far, it seems that I'm going to be using Reaper, and recording with a Mic. ((No income, either...:|))

Also, any tips on playing the guitar itself?

I'm doing the same thing right now but using Audacity. My guitar is jacked straight into the computer (1/4" plug to headphone plug adapter). It works pretty well. Also, I've run my pedal set in as well, which allows for better volume control.

As far as the guitar is concerned (and you'll probably want to defer to the likes of sixto sounds, Fishy, and nekofrog), do you play often? I find that to be the greatest technique for improvement.

I'll have to check out Reaper...

There are two ways to get a killer guitar tone while recording. One is to record anything and then work on the computer (requires lots of software, time and editing skills). The other one is to get the best tone in from your gear, then try to capture that (requires lots of gear, recording technique and skills).

With your gear (crate amp and distortion pedal) I don't think you can get a great tone, but you can get a good one. You can get a buddy to play the guitar while you tweak the amp, pedal and guitar controls until you get a nice tone. Then record it several times while moving the mic around.

You could also record it dry (with no distortion or eq ) and use some plugin to get the tone.