Sign in to follow this  
snazzypadgett

oh god, music audition help.

I just realized that I have to send in a screened piano recording to Indiana, my now favorite music school of choice (visited today), and not only that, it has to be the same repertoire as what I will be auditioning with. FUCK SHIT DIE. i thought I had until February to finish working on this piece that I've been working very hard on.

But there is good news. I dont even have to play that hard piece, I just have to play a Bach prelude&fugue (prelude: check. fugue: not check), a beethoven/mozart/haydn sonata first mvmt (uh-oh. I learned pathetique a year ago, but i didnt polish it), and a short 19th/20th century piece (perfect, I'm using gershwin's prelude #3)

I have two weeks from tomorrow to have this stuff recorded and sent in. holy fucking shit. Fortunately this weekend marks the end of my marching band season and I will FINALLY get time to practice again for more than an hour a day. I'm going to be practicing 5 hours a day through november, indefinitely. Even with this, am I completely screwed? I looooooved indiana's entire campus and obviously the school of music. I would hate to ditch that option. I'm going to work my ass off, but can I really do it? Is a screened audition taken very seriously or is it just a "okay he's good enough to come back for a live audition, stop the tape" type of thing?

ALSO, i have to submit a portfolio of compositions (3 or 4) by Dec 1, but I knew that. I didn't know about the piano screening because I thought it was only for performance majors...anyway, I'm planning on submitting the following for my composition portfolio:

-Something i'm going to write this week for a wind ensemble or something.

-my big percussion medley of many zelda tunes (the music director said an arrangement is okay as long as you have strong compositions as well)

-a piano original, i'll write that this week too.......

-I have another something in mind, i just dont know if i like it enough, a contemporary small band piece.

TLDR: Just be frank with me guys. Is it possible for me to learn a Bach fugue (that i've listened to many times), heavily polish Beethoven's Pathetique 1st mvmt, lightly polish a bach prelude and gershwin prelude, write another original ensemble piece (takes a while for me), write another piano original, record my piano screening, write another shorter ensemble piece, use my friend's dad's studio to record it (easy)...can I do all of this before Dec 1st? I am going to try with all of my might regardless of what you say, but I want the realistic opinion of another musician.

I am going to try with all of my might regardless of what you say, but I want the realistic opinion of another musician.

What would that accomplish? If someone says "yes" what, would you slack off? If someone says "no," wouldn't that just discourage you? It doesn't count as a "help" thread if there's nothing people can do to help.

You seriously need to stop using General Discussion as your personal LiveJournal. Even AD kept it to OffTop.

I agree with Dhsu. Not to be mean, but no one but you knows how fast you work, how much you already know and have already done, and how long it will take you to get where you want. Start working at it instead of asking for opinions which will be useless at best.

And remember that even if you don't get into performance but do get into general music, it's entirely possible to get into performance (or the area of your choice) after a year with no real drawbacks. If you work hard enough and take the right electives, it's probably even possible to be admitted to general arts and get into music in second year (but make sure you talk with an advisor in person before even picking fall courses if you go this route).

Yeah, really seems like you just want attention. You're sending an audition tape to IU. Congrats.