OCR01032 - *YES* Sonic the Hedgehog 2 'Bottled Metro'

djpretzel

Remixer: BitMaP

Games: Sonic the Hedgehog (2 and 3)

I had sent this one in 3 months ago.. but since those three months gave me time to overhaul it I won't push or a fall-through claim (I know you guys HATE that). Anyway, since this is generally liked in the forums I decided to send it in after all this time. Thank you for listening.

Wow. Quite an impressive arrangement of this song.

The flute-age had me from the beginning.

However, I notice that a lot of the accompany brass is off key. Its not too noticeable. A few sections like at 1:08 are the obvious ones. The rest isnt so obvious.

This is some real ace arrangement though.

Sample quality is in the gutter, but BitMap Pulls it off quite well.

The off sections are rather negligeble and very hard to spot, so

YES

Hmmm...Hydrocity Vs Metropolis zone.

Well the arrangement is impressive, although some parts seemed off-key, just for a second or two, and the sounds weren't exactly high quality. The difficulty for me is that low-quality sounds most of the time equals low-quality arrangement.

If I had to choose between the two, I would say that arrangement is more important.

YES

first off i think the drums are too loud. i'm having trouble hearing anything else clearly. the percussion does some interesting things, great fills. it just seems to me like all i can hear is the damned 2 and 4 hi-hat.

i really like the arrangement and sequencing. the bad samples dont bother me, but the mastering does. i want to hear the hi-hat down, and everything else up.

i really want a better version of this mix, mastering-wise. for now,

NO

• 3 weeks later...

i've heard much better use of lofi samples than this. compression, eq, and individual reverbs could really help these sounds. it sounds like the whole thing was given the same reverb amount, which isn't ideal; you want more reverb on melodic instruments and less reverb on percussive and bass instruments. (at least in this mix)

the fills are quite good but the beats are almost identical to the originals. transitions are great. many parts sound cluttered and incoherent, though. the loud perfect 5ths chord ending works enough, keep it.

i think the game sound effects are lame but that's just my personal opinion and has nothing to do with my vote. this needs improvement.

no

Well it started out icky (General MIDI?), but picked up after about 30 seconds BIG time. I agree with Vigilante that the drums are a bit loud, but not so loud that I'd instantly want to say NO. The arrangement is really really cool, although some sections are pretty much the EXACT same as the original, but the parts that sound like they come right from the Legend of the Mystical Ninja soundtrack are super cool and make up for the afore mentioned ones.

Aaaaand since I'm sure most people aren't familiar with all of the GM tones anyway, I'm going to go ahead and give this one a

YES

based on the cool arrangement.