Prince of Persia

The Derrit

I've never really liked Prince of Persia or Assassin's Creed. I guess I enjoy the fast pace of games like Ninja Gaiden and Mirror's Edge. This new Prince of Persia has not changed my mind.

Controls assume too much. Combos feel awkward and forced. Once you find the right rhythm, the difficulty of the game is significantly reduced. The graphics are nice, but they look better as stills than in motion. As much as I like cell-shading, there are very few games that have done it right (Wind Waker, Killer 7). Overall, from what I played, I like this PoP the least of all of them.

I wish they would just use a fighting system that has worked well in the past (like Sands of Time) and just used that instead of trying to come up with this new fighting system. I absolutely hate it, it's slow and clunky.

Yeah, what the fuck do they think they're doing, trying something new and different? They should be like Nintendo, just figure out something that works and stick with it every game!

nintendo's gross is how much this year?

no, i hear what both of your are saying. i like it when games stick to the same old style - like fable or gears of war, for example - but i also like it when they try new things (even when they bomb).

Ditto this. I'm a hardcore Nintendo fan, and I love me some Dragon Quest despite its sameness, but I can't find flaw in Ubisoft for breaking away from what could have been a quick cash-in sequel.

Nintendo's financial success the past few years was hardly just because of how their games played. It was the completely new demographic focus that although a lot of gamers gripe about it...it worked in spades. I think the fighting system was mostly fine, the problem is just well...

....I look behind me after doing this really tricky triple wall crawl or something...to see Elika doing the exact same thing I just did with extreme ease, using magic to boot.

She seems more powerful in combat too, and she's the reason you never die. It just makes me jokingly ask myself constantly "Why am I here!?".

In other words, if the fighting had a little more emphasis on actually putting some challenge into it...traditional combos, combination attacks with Elika that you discover, and maybe giving you a little more to work with over the course of the game. I'm all for wonderfully simplistic gameplay but you need a -little- bit of build up. Instead of feeling like your partners in crime it feels like your Elika's pet. I don't completely agree with it but I did sort of understand the rationality behind the decision of making you unable to die that they gave, but that didn't mean they had to take everything that constitutes a little more than mild effort out of it.

But obviously challenge wasn't their aim It's one of the most beautiful looking games I've played in a while, and it was very fun. I'm glad to see any kind of platforming, it's just very...very....very intentionally easy. The platforming can be pleasantly challenging but it's more linear than before. It's almost like it was made to be a rental.