Remixing FAQ project

Rozovian

I think this is the best place to post it, so the ReMixing forum regulars can't miss it.

I've noticed a lot of newbs wondering "how do I remix", "what do I need", "is there any free 'remixing software'", "how can I make midi sound like sixto" etc. Some of the tutorials might be hard to find, and none of them actually seem to actually list software alternatives. Another common issue is that noise that come when you plug a guitar straight into your computer's soundcard.

I was thinking that we'd put together a list of those common questions, and the answers that have been provided in threads... just put together a remixing FAQ or newb's introduction to remixing, something like that.

Thoughts?

There are good resources already out there that anyone willing may exploit. For example, if someone asks "How do I synth?" I'll link them to the related Sound On Sound articles.

Here's what I had to say in a recent thread of similar ambition:

... We have plenty of guides and stickies to help beginners but we still get threads that equate to "how do I remix?" The guides, stickies, wikis etc.. aren't as useful as you'd think:

People come to a forum for a 2 way channel of communication. Help that is suited to the individual.

And that's the best thing we can offer.

The real problem the OP wants to get rid of is threads asking vague, general questions that could be easily answered if people were willing to search the forums and search google. People are lazy idiots, so that's not going to happen. Simplifying everything into a single post won't help much; people still won't find it. Directing them to the search form or to the Guides & Tutorials section is probably good enough.

The real problem the OP wants to get rid of is threads asking vague, general questions

And I already addressed this.

The "How do I remix?" threads are here to stay. People thought the stickies would make them go away, so we got stickies. The threads persisted. People thought the Guides would make them go away, so we got the Guides subforum. The threads persisted.

All the stickies, guides, FAQs in the world will not make a difference. This is a forum. People come here to ask for help because they:

a) Can't help themselves. So we give them the answer.

B)

Don't know how to help themselves. So we direct them to resources.

And yes, option #b is a fine solution. So Rozovian, if you'd like to maintain a FAQ and link people to it when appropriate then by all means go for it. Just understand that:

a) There are already good resources out there for beginners that you can give to people.

B)

No amount of visibility will help your FAQ cut down on noobish threads.

cheers.

the guides are certainly nice but i sure do think there is room for improvement.

a generally asked questions faq is a good idea in my opinion that should be maintained to really help someone with the real basics that are repetitively asked.

i would use the format of having a common question with "quotations" and then a quick response with a link to more resources. and this would need to be a WIP and continually updated to really shine.

and as for the mods - maybe try to maintain an iron fist of closing threads by those who don't look for resources first before posting - if they still have questions thats fine - but i think it would catch on

And I already addressed this.

The "How do I remix?" threads are here to stay. People thought the stickies would make them go away, so we got stickies. The threads persisted. People thought the Guides would make them go away, so we got the Guides subforum. The threads persisted.

All the stickies, guides, FAQs in the world will not make a difference. This is a forum. People come here to ask for help because they:

a) Can't help themselves. So we give them the answer.

B)

Don't know how to help themselves. So we direct them to resources.

And yes, option #b is a fine solution. So Rozovian, if you'd like to maintain a FAQ and link people to it when appropriate then by all means go for it. Just understand that:

a) There are already good resources out there for beginners that you can give to people.

B)

No amount of visibility will help your FAQ cut down on noobish threads.

cheers.

Alright, you. I've had just about enough of your good intentions and noob sympathy. This is not a friendly place, so you can stuff that helpful, patient attitude right back up your uh, talkbox.

hurrrrrr

Facetiousness aside, it goes both ways. If someone's trying but still needs help, let's help them. If someone's obviously not trying and just waiting to be spoon-fed they should be ridiculed and berated like they would be in real life.

We don't need moderation. We need irate people like Snappleman.

We don't need stickies. We need people with good advice like BGC.

We don't need guides. We need knowledgeable people like Yoozer.

The community is the best thing we have to offer here. Everything else is redundant.

cheers.

If I were you guys I'd welcome more opinions, guides, FAQs, videos ETC. The stuff already on here is good but nowhere near comprehensive enough to be definitive. And with the way it's hidden in the forums, only those who come here, register, read the forums and realize they need help will seek it out, most are completely ignorant about lacking the skills they need to make the cut. Maybe I'm just reading too much into this, but OCR should promote the guides and tech support forums way more, that way we'd get better music more often.

actually an FL studio tutorial on how to make a song in general / how to make a song sound awesome would be great imo

maybe with other sequencers/DAWs too

edit: although i see your guys' point on not spoon feeding, i just wanted to throw out that i think rozo or whatever his name is had really good intentions of this thread, even if it does seem like its getting bashed down

This is nothing compared to the response to other suggestions I've had... And nothing compared to my response to the implications of the wip checklist.

I've got some stuff written, but I'll refrain from posting it. I'd rather go without the direct help of others on this than deal with more of the sarcastic (I hope) flak this idea has already met.

One thing, tho:

B) No amount of visibility will help your FAQ cut down on noobish threads.

a) ...that beginners can't find, so they ask a question in their noobish threads.

B) see above. and below.

The stuff already on here is good but nowhere near comprehensive enough to be definitive. And with the way it's hidden in the forums, only those who come here, register, read the forums and realize they need help will seek it out, most are completely ignorant about lacking the skills they need to make the cut.

Worth repeating. Emphasis mine.

Nobody reads FAQs. Even if you'd put it in font size 72 on top of the screen, with a red/green flickering background while it'd play airhorn sounds.

I don't know... It depends on the FAQ I guess. I have read some of the Tutorials on here about remixing and have personally found them useful. They are not easy to find though.

I think it is a good idea but I think that more people would read FAQs/tutorials on remixing if it was more easily accessible (I would :grin: )

If I were you guys I'd welcome more opinions, guides, FAQs, videos ETC.

I, for one, am not discouraging it. I recommended Rozovian proceed with his FAQ project. I just want him/her to be realistic about its impact.

The stuff already on here is good but nowhere near comprehensive enough to be definitive.

It'd be great if we had a definitive resource but that's a pipe dream. There are other sites better suited to that sort of thing. OCR can't really compete in that space, but we can certainly inform people about these resources.

OCR should promote the guides and tech support forums way more, that way we'd get better music more often.

Now that's a joke. Guides can help people get started, learn tips and solve problems but better music only comes about from skill and experience. Most all of the good remixers were good musicians on their own before they ever heard of OCR. Suggesting anything more than a cursory relationship between the guides and the quality of the music on the site is pure head-in-the-clouds fantasy.

One thing, tho:

B) No amount of visibility will help your FAQ cut down on noobish threads.

a) ...that beginners can't find, so they ask a question in their noobish threads.

B) see above. and below.

That's not even a reponse. It doesn't appear that you've followed my points, much less refuted them. I'm not going to repeat myself, though. So I will merely wish you best of luck with your ambitions.

cheers.