OCR01777 - Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion "Pirates of Oblivion"

djpretzel

To be honest, I was disappointed by this mix. The Elder Scrolls tunes from Morrowind and Oblivion both have pretty short themes, and in this mix even only half of that is used. Never does it explore the original source beyond the first two phrases.

Further, I feel like this tune simply repeats those two phrases with different instruments throughout.

I'd love it if somebody would _expand_ on that theme. Through all Morrowind and Oblivion mixes, I've only heard either repetitions of it, or in this case, truncations of it.

Certainly the use of instruments is nice and I think the quality of production is certainly up to snuff. But as somebody who's familiar with the source, this was boring and repetitive. Not my cup of tea.

I think John did a nice job with this mix. Lot's of brass, which can be risky depending on the sample and how it's mixed, but he get's the job done pretty well.

The music box section was my favorite, until the strings came in. I felt like the entrance wasn't timed very well there. Also a fan of the 'tick tock' percussion and how it played out with the brass, strings, and other percussion. Nice details there.

The piece doesn't wow me as much as I'd have liked it too. I would have liked one huge section near the end. Something almost over the top. Overall a good job, and worth listening to and keeping.

I may be a little biased because I have actually been waiting for another morrowind/oblivion remix. But I like to think that I keep my expectations fairly high, and this mix definitely met them. An appropriately named song, well executed, and above all else very nice to listen too. I especially like from 1:57 to the end of the song. A solid mix, I say.

I tend to agree with DragonAvenger in that the mix didn't really "wow" me, but considering the source material, I don't really think that's a major drawback. "Reign of the Septims" isn't really a wow piece to begin with, in my opinion.

That's a sweet gigue right there.

I don't know the source, and am not a remixer myself, so I can't level the constructive criticism that others might in this case, but I enjoyed this mix. It has a great illicit-maritime feel that perfectly captures the urge to buckle one's swash.

You 'ave a touch of destiny aboat you, John Revoredo..

Ah, finally another remix which utilizes my favorite theme in the history of music! Morrowind/Oblivion's main theme is just amazing.

The remix is great, but a bit on the repetitive side- I kept expecting the theme to go on with the Morrowind tune, but it only really used the first part of the song.

It was also shorter then I would've liked.

However, you really captured the Piraty feel with this, and it was a very high quality mix. I enjoyed it a lot, and even downloaded it onto my hard drive. :)

Intro is way stiffer than what I'm used to hearing from you, it really shows this mix's age. :-) The percussion is excellent, though, which is something I am used to hearing. The transitions were abrupt, but well handled; I think djp's likening them to movie cues is a pretty accurate assessment. I think some sections work better than others, but overall it's a jaunty romp, and a good debut mix. :-)

I like the Pirates thing you have going on - a very nice arrangement. The transitions are a little shaky, and like others have said, it's not the most "wowing" piece out there, but it's a very good tune nonetheless. Excellent job - if this piece is as old as you say, I'm looking forward to seeing how you've developed since then.

• 2 months later...

I played (actually, am playing) the shit out of Oblivion so I'm very familiar with its music. This was a big disappointment to me because it's the same genre as the source. It's a mixture of verbatim and odd derivative tangents that mesh well but aren't much fun to listen to.

The sound quality is good I just think the arrangement is uninspired.

• 2 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01777 - Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion "Pirates of Oblivion"