OCR01017 - Final Fantasy X "The Final Summoning"

djpretzel

Cool- although perhaps we're pushing the ratio of original to remixed material a little too far. This is borderline "original piece that uses a videogame audio sample" unless I'm missing something.
8O

PLEASE tell me you're joking. Aren't you one of the Judges?

Aren't you one of the Judges?

I think you have me confused with someone else. 8)

The other one is a member of a very prestigious fanclub. :D

Anyway, I heard this some months ago and I agree with some of Israfel's comments on the mix. His reaction was my first reaction as well. To be brief, I enjoyed this and jared already knows my thoughts on this. Very good work regardless. 8)

Okay. I just beat the game right now, to double check, and checked a few of the cinemas as well.

Considering the Hymm of the Faith is mostly a Gregorian chant, anything added to it would be to embelish on the theme of the chant.

BUT, that being said, yes this tune has a lot of improvisation, but it's definitely a ReMix of the Hymm itself. At least to my ear.

You can hear the MUSIC, not the chanting, going with the beat of the chant. The rock guitar playing those hard riff over and over again is pretty much just like the game... except it's a rock guitar. :lol:

It's also similar to the beat and rhyme used in the scene where Yuna does the Dance in Kilika. It's ALSO similar to the rock remix of the tune in the game itself when you fight Yu Yevon. The beat is also similar to the scene in the ending when Yuna's doing the dance on top of the airship and the aeons are disappearing.

Now, disregarding all that, am I the only one that's noticing the solo guitar used in this piece often plays alongside the Hymm itself? To the beat of the Hymm?

So, we've got the Hymm in the piece, the riff guitar and drums that sound like it's part of the piece, the piano which goes along with the beat and the solo guitar...

Am I missing something here?

I really like this remix, especially because I had just been A) Preparing to make a CD of VGM that focuses on a more electric guitar/rock theme, and B) Posting in another thread how much I loved the Hymn of the Fayth and how disappointed I was that no one had made a remix of it. I've enjoyed Hudson's stuff in the past, and this one certainly didn't disappoint me. Excellent.

This remix is great it's hard to say much that's bad about the samples and everything (except for the awkward string accompaniment at the beginning). I guess my beef with it, and my beef with hundreds of mixes of its kind, is when remixers create works so tonally ambiguous and so content void that you could virtually stick any melody inside it and immediately that melody is enhanced with a kick ass accompaniment. This is a great piece, but I would hardly qualify it as a "remix" considering that except for a short guitar accompaniment, all the supportive content is completely unrelated to the hymn of the faith in my opinion. I know I'll be greatly disagreed with by many and that's ok. But, cut out the hymn of the faith sample, and throw in whatever you want...Mario's dungeon theme, final fight's continue melody, even something from tetris maybe, and some would say, "Wow! This is the greatest remix of this game ever!" which I think is just kinda sad. I wanna hear full themes, motifs, developmental material, modulations, just anything that says...here's what I got when I took the hymn of the faith theme and did "this" to it. I think this piece straddles that border a bit on the far side.

Download. Now.

Do it.

This is amazing stuff from Jared Hudson here. The drums are very good (are they live or just well sequenced?) The guitar, especially the solo, is very smooth. The whole piece just ooozes...that....factor thing which makes me want to listen to this. I don't even know what it is about this track I like, it's just amazing.

One word ReView - Rocking.

This does not sound like an Overclocked Remix to me because it is too original. I had a difficult time picking out the original here. This simply sounds like an original work with some traces of choir. Really - I do not know why this is on this site. If this is on this site many other good works like E-Bison's Suikostep and others in Works:Other should be.

I love this ReMix. It's got exactly the mood I can envision a summoner going through when he or she summons a Final Aeon.

That said, I also have some more to add. One of my favorite deleted remixes from this site, "OpenItUp" (a Chrono Cross "Scars of Time" remix), was accused of stealing the original track and looping a drumbeat over it. (Which they did, but that's not the point.)

This does the complete opposite of "OpenItUp"; takes a sample from the original, and puts it into a song before improvising like crazy around it. I think this is brilliant work, top-notch quality, and very original; I love the segue from classical to rock accompaniment around 1'58" or so.

well the reason it seems like an original with added guitar solos and FFX hymn is because, essentially, thats what it is. i'm the original guitarist who worked on this track with jared and saw this piece develop from a writhing sonic fetus :). this was an original track by jared which transformed magnificently into FFX goodness as an excuse for a collaboration between mr. hudson and myself

what can i say? i am awfully bias in reviewing it: it is the sickest tune on this site, right now, hands down. let's just say, it takes a drummer to write drums that good. the strings are used exquisitely and the piano that assists the track down from its peak and through the breakdown is smoooth... very VERY smooth. altho i would have preferred the tone-fiend approach i had in my takes on the song, the guitar was extremely well played and well arranged (for the person who mentioned it, yea, its playin along the hymn rather than the original) - that last solo is GOLDEN. and the production is what we've come to expect of hudson studios.

all in all, an excellent piece regardless of how much vg is in it and how much of it is jh

~weed

Wow. I like this. The 'chugging' guitar beat really, really works, and the way the chorus, guitar, and orchestral bits weave together is well done. There's a section, around 3:00, that kinda loses the 'feel' of the piece...'cause the guitar is dropped. Other than that, very nice. The weakest parts are the choral bits...you can tell they've been altered.

This is an excellent song. Slightly on the minimalistic side for certain sections, but still quite strong with the melody. Instruments/samples are top notch. Very cool feel to it; part symphonic, part rock. This seriously could have been put in the game, and would have worked excellent during the battle with...(SPOILER): Jecht (who also happens to be the final Aeon), as both the guitar and orchestra parts go well -- this would have worked SO much better then what they did use, Otherworld (it was better off just in the intro). The 0:00-1:08.5 part could be like a pre-battle cutscene music, and the 1:08.5-4:35 could be the battle music (with it looping as necessary). But enough about that...

Anyways, this is not what I would qualify as a ReMix, as technically the only original part that is referenced (being in essence just a vocal sample) is taken intact. Also, I don't know what people are talking about when they say everything goes along with the Hymn, because Jared himself said that the tempo of the Hymn was modified to go along with his stuff. The only actual part that supports the Hymn is 3:38-3:54. So, I wouldn't say this is a TRUE ReMix, but it's very awesome nonetheless.

Great Job, Jared! :D

Wow. To be blunt, this is like what One Winged Angel theme was to the simplistic Sephiroth theme in FF7. It's like Jared turned a normal run-of-the-mill theme then turned it into a final-boss theme. It does indeed sound like a professional work.

The usage of the voice samples from FFX could have been used a bit more, but there's ample amount of them to remind us that this is a FFX remix and not an original orchestral work though there's some original tunes mixed in here.

Nothing too jaw dropping, but I'm VERY impressed that Jared even bothered tacking the challenge of remixing a music in FFX, which wasn't exactly melody-heavy (As the little vocal piece shows.. that's one of the most memorable melodies in FFX in my opinion.. that says a lot about memorability of FFX's music.)

Impressive.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01017 - Final Fantasy X "The Final Summoning"