The OCR shmup-thread!

anosou

Screw sub-genres :D I will still use this as an excuse to mention "The Red Star".

While I absolutely love the 'shmup' *roll eyes* genre, I don't actually have the patience nor the will power nor the potential to be awesome at it ;_;

Ikaruga kicks my ass way too hard, but I still enjoy playing it a ton. My brain just doesn't have enough virtual memory to get me through normal or hard mode in one piece.

I don't always appreciate the one hit kill thing in the genre ;_; but other than that, great stuff :D

Anyone remember Xenon 2? :D

I'm playing PCB and I'm starting to icon_heart.gif this game.
damn you PC users..

I'm secretly hoping someone will buy a license and release all Touhou Games together for like X360 or PS2 :/

Won't the Touhou games run via Parallels, or some similar solution? They don't take a huge amount of power to process, and the idea of playing Imperishable Night (PCB is good too...but IN is the pinnacle IMO) should motivate you...

As far as non crazy bullet hell shooters, I've always enjoyed the Gradius series best (I haven't played Thunder Force -- should get on that), with Gradius Gaiden (PSX-J) as the highlight of the entire series. I don't have as much experience with vertical shooters, but Strikers 1945 (and the sequels) are great fun via MAME.

Glad to hear that others enjoy crazy, adrenaline-filled games also! There's nothing like a good shmup to really focus your mind on gaming...

Ok... Being fan for maybe 20 years I had to post ^^

So...

Besides the Touhou Universe I can't leave, I've been playing ALL Gradius/Parodius series on a lot of consoles, R-Type (+ 2+3+Leo+Delta+Final)since the first one in arcade and a version on my dead Amstrad CPC 6128...

G-Darius with the 3D mechanic fishes and other sea creatures is really awesome.

I love Ikaruga, Radiant Silvergun was good too.

Star Fox, aaaah Wonderful Star Fox... The 64 was good too !

1942, 1943... I've played them when they appeared !

Pop'n Twinbee... Too many colours, it was tiring.

Carrier Airwing, UN Squadron, good games too.

DoDonPachi, In The Hunt, Image Fight 1&2, Alpha Mission 2, Last Resort : good and HARD >_<

About hard games, Raiden is a really challenge, I loved the 2nd game for the new laser ^^ But I'm really disappointed by Raiden 3, really copypasta from the old ones imo.

Sigh, I shouldn't read topics like this, I have to hear Touhou music and look at my loved screenshots of the acid pool level in Gradius V <3

Have a good time people and may the shmup live forever !

Oh, and sorry for the ones I've forgotten, there is so much !

(EDIT : Zaxxon, View Point, Sigma 7 are (3D) isometric shmups, I didn't like them a lot because of the view.)

Currently in the Touhou universe myself

Pretty much have played all mentioned titles (original/emulation/port) one time or another. I however always found it funny that Starfox + Star Fox 64 would be counted as a SHMUP but hey I see how they fit.

Also...

God fucking damn it! I can't do it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A0wdgk_SFA

Just yet as I keep messing up.

Also I really can't see the games being released on PS2/3 or the 360. Maybe some hacking that would allow the games to run off the XBox360 but that's it...

Rail Shooter = Shoot 'um up

Yeah that's why I say I can see why it would fit in it; I still find it funny though.

I do wonder though what will the next title for the touhou series will be; assuming it's being continued. The one I haven't played is titled "Concealed the Conclusion" which to my understanding is a spin off of the Touhou series. Gonna have to try it out later in the following week, what with Thanksgiving coming around.

What I've found to match it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKixmugrWRM&feature=related

I've played quite a few of these games, some of my favorite games actually, my favorite in the genre (a sub genre maybe?) Tempest 2000

Anyone who owned an atari Jaguar (like myself and very few others) with this game understands. The game showed up again on the Saturn I believe, but the controls were not as wonderful as was on the Jag. This game is easily in my top ten list for games in any genre. I believe this is a rail shooter shmup, if I'm correct.

Some dude made a pretty awesome freeware clone of the game, called Typhoon 2001 (very original), even has the same soundtrack as tempest 2000 (which was incredible for it's time and different from the Saturn version). You all need to download this and play it, it's free.

http://typhoon.kuto.de/

Won't the Touhou games run via Parallels, or some similar solution? They don't take a huge amount of power to process, and the idea of playing Imperishable Night (PCB is good too...but IN is the pinnacle IMO) should motivate you...

Yeah but parallels is kinda not fun. I might dual-boot eventually but it's a hassle, I don't like hassles :3

Rail Shooter = Shoot 'um up

QFE, Panzer Dragoon Orta and REZ are shmup-prime. Go play 'em!

I've played quite a few of these games, some of my favorite games actually, my favorite in the genre (a sub genre maybe?) Tempest 2000

Yeah Tempest is something.. clones are often good too!

Still, I think Space Giraffe goes miles beyond that because of Jeff Minter's eye for great gameplay elements. Space Giraffe is a bitch to understand but heaven when you do!

Question, if I may pick your collective brains. What are some other well-known side-scrolling WWII-1980s aircraft smups? I'm trying to remember what the name of the one that I remember loving (I think from an arcade, but I could be mistaken), I can't quite remember the era planes that were used but I'm thinking it was WWII, I also remember one part where you shoot your way through city buildings, and no it's definitely not Area 88/UN Squadron. Any ideas?

Never did get top-scrollers... it's like playing football/soccer the wrong way! I need more lead time! Arghdeadwaytoosoon...

And in the spirit of showing one's age, I went and dusted off Sky Shark not too long ago (awesome music!). Played it many times actually - even got to the final boss a couple times - then gave up in frustration (with emphatically throwing my controller into the floor!). I remember having way more patience as a kid.

Question, if I may pick your collective brains. What are some other well-known side-scrolling WWII-1980s aircraft smups? I'm trying to remember what the name of the one that I remember loving (I think from an arcade, but I could be mistaken), I can't quite remember the era planes that were used but I'm thinking it was WWII, I also remember one part where you shoot your way through city buildings, and no it's definitely not Area 88/UN Squadron. Any ideas?

WWII side scrollers weren't too common. The ones that come immediately to mind are P-47: The Phantom Fighter, Fire Mustang, and P-47 Aces. There's also Progear, which has a 1940s steampunk vibe to the settings. You might want to check out Carrier Airwing and Armed Police Unit Gallop too.

And Air Buster and Metal Black popped into my head when you mentioned fighting through buildings.

I'm a big fan of StarFox 64, R-Types of various sorts, and the SNES U.N. Squadron port. I remember Aerofighters Assault or something like that in an arcade back in college and I swear I was the only one who ever touched that cabinet. That game was a blast.

The Shump I'm probably best at is StarFox 64, with my best score being over 1700 going along the Corneria > Sector Y > Aquas > Zoness > Macbeth > Area 6 route. I know that's not nearly anything to brag about amongst the best scores out there on the internet, but I'd like to think it's still pretty good.

R-Type 3 is probably the R-Type I've played the most, and it still wrecks me every time. A great game, but utterly brutal.

I'm a big fan of StarFox 64, R-Types of various sorts, and the SNES U.N. Squadron port. I remember Aerofighters Assault or something like that in an arcade back in college and I swear I was the only one who ever touched that cabinet. That game was a blast.

The Shump I'm probably best at is StarFox 64, with my best score being over 1700 going along the Corneria > Sector Y > Aquas > Zoness > Macbeth > Area 6 route. I know that's not nearly anything to brag about amongst the best scores out there on the internet, but I'd like to think it's still pretty good.

R-Type 3 is probably the R-Type I've played the most, and it still wrecks me every time. A great game, but utterly brutal.

I hate that I haven't found a good version of R-Type 3 for console.. I have R-Type Delta, R-Type Final and soon, R-types but there's a gaping hole for Leo!

Whoever said Tyrian get my love, and also Raptor has always been one of my favorite games. I only had the shareware demo as a kid, but I played the shit out of it.

EDIT: I just remembered that I got a CD-ROM when I was a kid, which was called simply Shoot-Em-Ups, and was filled with about 50 games or so, for DOS (or sometimes Win 3.1), that I played over and over again. It should still be at my parents house... I have to look for it next time I'm there.

I hate that I haven't found a good version of R-Type 3 for console.. I have R-Type Delta, R-Type Final and soon, R-types but there's a gaping hole for Leo!

Good version? There's only the SNES version of R-Type III: The Third Lightning to get (do NOT get the GBA version... it's horribly broken). Or are you're talking about finding an SNES cart that isn't beat to hell, or that's complete?

And don't hold your breath for R-Type Leo. It's never been released for a home system, nor was it released in the US or UK. So the only way to play it is via emulation, or buying the Japanese arcade PCB.

And don't hold your breath for R-Type Leo. It's never been released for a home system, nor was it released in the US or UK. So the only way to play it is via emulation, or buying the Japanese arcade PCB.

Will MAME run it? I realize that it's stealing and all, but this is a situation where you _can't_ pay to play it, and therefore shouldn't feel all that bad. :P

Of course, this assumes that you can find a link to download the necessary files -- not always an easy task with arcade images.

Will MAME run it? I realize that it's stealing and all, but this is a situation where you _can't_ pay to play it, and therefore shouldn't feel all that bad. :P

Of course, this assumes that you can find a link to download the necessary files -- not always an easy task with arcade images.

PM me and yes he did mention emulation.

Can't be helped at all sometimes when certain things are never sold in other regions. (Looking at you Mother 3...)

MAME runs it just fine these days. A couple years ago, there was a weird timing issue with the music, making it go off-tempo a lot (though the rest of the game played fine). But that's been fixed, and the newer MAMEs don't appear to have any problems with R-Type Leo anymore.

As for playing it, all you need are the two ROMs. Drop them in the "roms" folder in MAME, start the program, and it'll potentially find the ROMs on its own. If it doesn't, then just go under "View" along the top, and choose "Refresh" (or just hit "F5" on your keyboard). Once it's done searching, select "Available Arcades" from the list on the left, and R-Type Leo should be listed in the window. Double click the game name, and you're off.

Oh, and if you're on Windows, get MAME32. It has a very handy GUI that makes setting things up a lot easier (on the rare occasion you have to set anything up).

While we're on the subject, does anyone know of a way to get Gradius IV running full speed in MAME? Mine has a ton of framerate issues, and I don't exactly know why -- my guess is some proprietary chip that isn't fully emulated. It's the only Gradius game I haven't finished...as long as the much easier SNES version of G3 counts. That arcade cabinet really chews up quarters!

Something on topic: Unless you're a diehard fan of the series like me, I can't really recommend playing Gradius IV -- III and V are both much better, as is the PSX game.

Good version? There's only the SNES version of R-Type III: The Third Lightning to get (do NOT get the GBA version... it's horribly broken). Or are you're talking about finding an SNES cart that isn't beat to hell, or that's complete?

Then I've been missinformed! I've always thought RIII was ported to PSX :/ blergh. Too bad the snes version wasn't released in pal-country but that also means it's one title less that I need to get.

Just found RayStorm (Taito) for PSX, anyone heard anything about it? I'm pretty sure I'll take home that auction anyway but it would be fun if it kicks ass.