The OCR shmup-thread!

anosou

Then I've been missinformed! I've always thought RIII was ported to PSX :/ blergh. Too bad the snes version wasn't released in pal-country but that also means it's one title less that I need to get.

Just found RayStorm (Taito) for PSX, anyone heard anything about it? I'm pretty sure I'll take home that auction anyway but it would be fun if it kicks ass.

Yeah, R-Type III is on the SNES, and the GBA through a really botched port. If you have a Wii, you can also get it on the VC (just looked it up). However, my understanding is that there is a PAL version of it for the SNES. It's supposed to have been released in 1994.

As for Raystorm, it's a great shmup. It's a sequel to Rayforce/Galactic Attack/Gunlock, and it plays a lot like its predecessor. The graphics are quite nice (for the time), the music is very good, and the challenge is tough, but fair. Get it.

Yeah, R-Type III is on the SNES, and the GBA through a really botched port. If you have a Wii, you can also get it on the VC (just looked it up). However, my understanding is that there is a PAL version of it for the SNES. It's supposed to have been released in 1994.

As for Raystorm, it's a great shmup. It's a sequel to Rayforce/Galactic Attack/Gunlock, and it plays a lot like its predecessor. The graphics are quite nice (for the time), the music is very good, and the challenge is tough, but fair. Get it.

Seems you're right, I found a few auctions for the PAL-version. Wikipedia doesn't mention it and that's why I was a bit puzzled. Thanks coop.

Good, I'll up my bid for RayStorm then! Also, I should buy RayCrisis when I'm on it, eBay here I come! Can't belive these games came out in PAL-country O.O Almost as strange as the feeling I got when Vib Ribbon arrived in the mail today haha

Lucky you, last time I battled for it (complete in mint condition with poster and everything) it ended at 1100 kr.

I need to get back on the gaming auction scene...

Actually don't, the real deals comes from gaming forums! I got Vib Ribbon from loading.se and I'm also buying Legend of Dragoon + Wild Arms in mint condition for 750kr total :D

Tradera prices always go wild, ebay.co.uk is okay but shipping can be a bitch. Overall forums and private sellers are your best choice if you're sure you won't be hustled.

In other news: Dangun Feveron makes me happy in pants even though I suck at it.

Apparently, the 360 is THE shump console.

Not too surprising since there seems so many. I wish they port Otomedius and other weird shumps though. The same old PS2 situation, except PS2 actually saw a lot of shumps domesticated.

It got a good number, but Japan's kicking our ass in terms of a PS2 shmup count. This makes me a sad shmupper.

Apparently, the 360 is THE shump console.

Not too surprising since there seems so many. I wish they port Otomedius and other weird shumps though. The same old PS2 situation, except PS2 actually saw a lot of shumps domesticated.

Hopefully they can give the rest of the world all of these games too :/ Some good news is that there are "worldwide leaderboards" for some of the releases which means the games will probably see overseas release :D

It got a good number, but Japan's kicking our ass in terms of a PS2 shmup count. This makes me a sad shmupper.

So true. Still, you can't complain. We haven't got a single Cave shmup for PS2.. All we've got in PAL-country is a few Psikyo titles and some general conversions :/

• 2 weeks later...
Ah, so that's why you wouldn't play with me.

I tried the demo for Omega Five.

I dunno, I will need to play it a few more times. I think I missed something.

Is there a tutorial?

Check the "how to play" section in the menu, it's mandatory for all XBLA games.

it takes a while to learn the control scheme and get what everything does but when you do it's utterly fantabulous!

• 1 year later...

Why hello, thread.

Calling on the experts once more. Do any of you recall any memorable 4-way scrollers? I have memories of a shmup - more correctly, one level of a shmup - in which I descended and had to navigate both horizontally and vertically around obstacles (I remember stalactite/mite-esque fingers with narrow vertical openings), then scrolled horizontally and had to navigate accordingly, etc. This might be a case of jumbled memories, but it's bugging the hell out of me and I can't seem to google-query appropriately to yield results. I thought it was a Gradius game or clone, but based upon my earlier wikipedia-ing that doesn't seem to be the case. It was definitely for a console: 8-bit or more likely 16-bit. Help is appreciated; my nostalgia would owe you several rounds if you found it.

Regardless, a big thank-you to the shmup community here. This thread, along with the reminders of gameplay and music from a few posters (you know who you are), burned in the back of my mind long enough to force me back into shumpstalgia. StarFox led to UN Squadron let to Sky Shark led to Gradius 3, and it was all downhill from there. Did my research on the decade+ I've missed, penned my lists, made a lucky find, and been at it ever since... with turn-based breaks as needed to lower blood pressure/preserve controller integrity. I doubt I'll ever get into it as much as you all, but I sure as hell appreciate the persistent reminders of what I was missing. I've rediscovered the hardcore gamer inside.

Also: free play, wtf? Ikaruga, you sloot.

Why hello, thread.

Calling on the experts once more. Do any of you recall any memorable 4-way scrollers? I have memories of a shmup - more correctly, one level of a shmup - in which I descended and had to navigate both horizontally and vertically around obstacles (I remember stalactite/mite-esque fingers with narrow vertical openings), then scrolled horizontally and had to navigate accordingly, etc. This might be a case of jumbled memories, but it's bugging the hell out of me and I can't seem to google-query appropriately to yield results. I thought it was a Gradius game or clone, but based upon my earlier wikipedia-ing that doesn't seem to be the case. It was definitely for a console: 8-bit or more likely 16-bit. Help is appreciated; my nostalgia would owe you several rounds if you found it.

Hmmm...

The ones that come immediately to mind that feature both horizontal and vertical levels are...

Thunder Force II

LifeForce/Salamnder

Salamander II

Axelay (it's "into" the screen, but...)

Ones that make your ship go in both directions during a stage...

Steel Empire

Sidearms

Gleylancer (I'm not 100% on this one... it's been a while)

Arrow Flash

Whip Rush

Eliminate Down (like Gleylancer, I'm not 100% sure on this one)

Bio-Hazard Battle

Forgotten Worlds

Gaiares

Atomic Robo-Kid

Phelios

Trouble Shooter

In the Hunt

There's also Sub Terrania which is quite shmup-like, but gravity-based.

Hey, what do you know, there's a shmup thread.

Shamelessly quoting my own post from the freeware thread, in case you guys missed it:

I just dicovered a new free game named Hero Core (
) and played a bit of it. It's kind of a mix of Metroidvania and oldschool bullet hell shmups. So far I like it! It has this weird retro feel to it, even though it doesn't really look like a game from any specific old console. Apparently it was released yesterday.

Especially on the higher difficulty levels this game reminds me a lot of shmups. Not really my genre, but I like this one for the Metroid aspect :)