The OCR shmup-thread!

anosou

Where are all the awesome space-ships?

You should give a try to

and its sequel

Also,

is a very original shmup well worth checking.

Lastly, since you've got yourself a Saturn, I highly recommend grabbing

(if you haven't already).

All these games offer excellent gameplay, a good challenge, insanely good music and best of all: awesome space-ships. :smile:

Ha ha, I'd get Radiant Silvergun for the Saturn, except that people selling it have this queer notion that the game is worth well over $150 dollars.

Though I did download that Crimson Clover game and i must say it is quite fun. Like DonPachi and RayForce rolled into one.

• 3 weeks later...

Small update.

So yeah, R-Types and R-Type Delta.

All three games are fucking hard as shit. Though I must admit R-Type Delta is much more fun than R-Type 1 and 2. That's not to say they're not fun. Just hard as shit.

I can get to level 3 in R-Type before losing a continue, and fucking level 2 in R-Type Delta. I have continues, but I find those games so draining that I usually don't want to continue playing after using a continue. Ha ha.

I came SO close to 1CCing Darius Gaiden today. I lost it at Great Thing, though I ended up killing him with a credit to spare. I feel that if it were another boss, I MIGHT have been able to pull it off. Then again, every final boss of D-Gaiden is a badass.

Is it bad, shmuppers, that I used the auto-fire cheat to get this far? Usually I don't, but the bosses in Darius Gaiden take SO long to kill with the default firing speed, that the main reason you die is from attrition (because they live so long they live long enough to fuck you over with all their attacks). Hopefully I didn't commit a cardinal sin of STGs and use autofire... Lol like I give a shit :P

It feels great that I can go into Darius Gaiden now, after almost a year, and beat the game in about 20 or so minutes. Feels really good. Maybe I'll run through Galactic Attack again to see if I've gotten better at that. I dunno though, RayForce IS (i feel) a much harder game.

----

Right now my Saturn STG wishlist looks like:

-DonPachi (COME ON KID)

-DoDonPachi*

-Soukyugurentai* (I almost got this TWICE for really cheap on ebay but shiesters fucked me over in the last 30 seconds both times. FUCK)

-Strikers 1945 (holy moly this game is fucking hard to survive in)

-Shienryu*

-Metal Slug*

*Have never played

I kind of wish these games weren't as expensive as fuck.

I get paid tomorrow. If I were to get one of these games, which could any of you recommend? The ones with asterisks are the ones I have not played.

Also, Gundemonium Collection came out on steam, and I'm hearing good things from the folks over at the shmups.system11 forums. Though I'm not sure if the game is totally my thing (outside of that fantasic Crimzon Clover game Schwaltz posted I'm not usually in to doujin shooters), but hey, 10 bucks for 3 games.

Right now my Saturn STG wishlist looks like:

-DonPachi (COME ON KID)

-DoDonPachi*

-Soukyugurentai* (I almost got this TWICE for really cheap on ebay but shiesters fucked me over in the last 30 seconds both times. FUCK)

-Shienryu*

-Metal Slug*

*Have never played

I get paid tomorrow. If I were to get one of these games, which could any of you recommend? The ones with asterisks are the ones I have not played.

Metal Slug is a run 'n' gun, not a shmup. That said, go for Soukyugurentai. A great Raizing shmup with fantastic music, a sold challenge, great graphics, and it's not quite a bullet curtain shmup, so it's a bit more old school-like and forgiving than the DonPachi series. If that one's not available for a reasonable price, then go after DoDonPachi. Great game, better than the first one, and a fine translation overall (though some find the PS1 version to be better). But it's manic/bullet curtain traits can make it frustrating if you're not that great at such shmups.

It's funny how, since buying my saturn, my definition of "reasonable price" has become "somewhere in the range of $40"

x_x

I know I haven't played much of the DonPachi series, but I kind of wished that they kept that same radio guy from DonPachi in all the other games. I don't care what you think about the gameplay, or the challenge, or the bullet patterns, that dude MADE the game what it was.

OOOOHHWEEEE KID

MULTI-ASSAULT TANK COMIN' UP

JUST A FEW MORE SHOOOTTTSSS

ENEMY HQ DEAD AHEAD KID

YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO

ALL RIGHT ROOKIE YOU'RE DOIN' PRETTY GOOD

POWERRRR UP!

That said, go for Soukyugurentai. A great Raizing shmup with fantastic music, a sold challenge, great graphics, and it's not quite a bullet curtain shmup, so it's a bit more old school-like and forgiving than the DonPachi series.

^ This.

Good ole Terra Driver is a great action packed yet slightly strategic shmup with an unconventional screen ratio (for the time) and some truly amazing music imho.

The soundtrack is a spiritual precursor to Radiant Silvergun, and showcase I think the first ever collab between Hitoshi Sakimoto and Manabu Namiki.

The soundtrack was recently re-released as Namiki and Sakimoto now work together at Basiscape Ltd., and it features new arranged versions of some tracks.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll enjoy the game ...if you can get your hands on it at a reasonable price. ;-)

-DonPachi (COME ON KID)

-DoDonPachi*

-Shienryu*

-Metal Slug*

*Have never played

Also, Gundemonium Collection came out on steam, and I'm hearing good things from the folks over at the shmups.system11 forums. Though I'm not sure if the game is totally my thing (outside of that fantasic Crimzon Clover game Schwaltz posted I'm not usually in to doujin shooters), but hey, 10 bucks for 3 games.

First off you can easily get the Metal Slug Anthology Collection on the Wii, PSP, & PS2 $19.99/$33.35($20? PSN)/$21.50 respectively.

Second the Gundemonium Collection was actually a series of doujin games as far as I knew as I've played them way before indie games took off. Here's a sample for

and
which comes in the Steam/PSN bundle. While I am displaying the hard difficulty modes that doesn't mean the game changes very much on easier modes. You'd just die less, probably.

Even after something like four years when I tried Hitogata Happa and I still can't get the hang of its bombing :lol:. To me its bombing system is wierd but it borrows the special ability mode from Gundemonium Recollection.

Overall I liked the games and they can still be some good fun but I'm even then I would be skeptical many would stick out for it for long; especially if they're gunning for the true ending on HH.

Edit: Funny little thing that is perhaps not important to any one but I honestly believe that for some reason the PSN version was slightly censored; as if something was missing and I can't seem to pin it down as to what exactly. :lol:

You know, I lurk on the shmup system11 forum, and I have checked out your project for a while, and I think it looks pretty cool (and the music is rad, ha ha).

I've been playing a lot of Gun Frontier on MAME and I'm considering buying it for the Saturn, since i'm having so much fun with it. It's just not often that you play a game with such a fun idea (gold bandits have taken over a planet- you fly a colt-revolver with airplane wings and you have to take them down), and makes me wonder why more mainstream games these days go for the "refuge in audacity" approach.

Forgive my double-post, but I have a question:

My copy of Terra Diver/Soukyugurentai came in today, and I'm pretty excited (though I'm at my home and not my apartment, so I can't play it until tomorrow).

I decided to pop in the Sega Saturn CD into my computer to get a taste of the music (especially after hearing good things about it), but it sounds rather different than what is on youtube and such.

Now I don't know what the deal is but all the tracks on the CD sound like they're using the same instrument set as Darius II. You know, those 80s arcade synths.

This is on my CD

And the CD case I have is the one in the youtube picture.

Now i haven't played the game yet, so it might be... I dunno what it might be but I'm a little concerned. Unless this is how the music is supposed to sound like in Soukyougurentai, and the orchestral/electronic stuff is in Otuyuko.

I have the game, and track three isn't stage three in the game. It's from another game by Raizing, as the disc has music from games other than Soukyugurentai on it (Kingdom Grand Prix and Battle Garegga). The music for Soukyugurentai, if I recall, is either streamed from the disc, or done through PCM (with the exception of tracks one and two I believe).

Phew, that's good to know. I thought I got gipped!

And you're right, because tracks 1 and 2 are all orchestral with quality instruments (not that the stuff on there isn't quality- I love 80s arcade synths!).

I'm thinking of using my next paycheck to get DoDonPachi and Gun Frontier. Gun Frontier, because it's loads of fun, and DoDonPachi, because it seems that EVERY SINGLE SHMUP FAN IN EXISTENCE says that EVERY FAN OF SHMUPS needs to play that game. I liked DonPachi (despite only beating it on MAME via credit-feeding), so I'd assume it's more of the same but... better?

With Gun Frontier, it's one of the few games that use checkpoints that doesn't piss me off (mainly because you don't go back to square one with your powerups and its feasible to get powered up again). Also, ZUNTATA is my favorite VGM group in existence, no doubt. Everything they used to make in the ol' days of the 90s-early 2000s was gold.

DoDonPachi is awesome. Get it!

I've been on a serious PC Engine and Megadrive kick these days and bought somewhere around 40 shooters for the PC Engine and Megadrive over the last couple months.

Some recent favorites include Soldier Blade, PC Denjin (Air Zonk), Gunhead, Final Soldier, Panorama Cotton, Gaiares, Granada, Metal Stoker, Atomic Robo Kid Special and many more. I think I've got a game buying problem. It's too much of an addition, but I've bought over 100 games in the last two months!!

Have any of you guys ever played M.U.S.H.A. for the Genesis (Musha Aleste: Full Metal Fighter Ellinor on the Megadrive)? Man, what an awesome shooter!! And it has one of the best soundtracks on a shooter I've ever heard. Basically Genesis speed metal. It's a bit rare/expensive but definitely worth checking out!

• 3 weeks later...

I've heard things about MUSHA, but I don't have a Japanese Mega-Drive, and I all ready spend too much money on my saturn, ha ha.

I STILL haven't bought DoDonPachi, mainly because my reasoning is

1) What if DonPachi is more fun

2) There is a relatively cheap Gun Frontier, but I'm not sure if it's worth it

3) There is a Cotton 2 which looks interesting

4) There is Shienryu which also looks good

SO MANY CHOICES!!!!

I want to convince my older brother to let me get Strania: The Stella Machina on his 360, but he's not to keen on the idea. He calls my games "those shitty Sega Saturn games that you like" which makes me laugh.

I've heard things about MUSHA, but I don't have a Japanese Mega-Drive, and I all ready spend too much money on my saturn, ha ha.

You don't need a MegaDrive. The U.S. version and the Japanese version will play just fine on the Genesis or MegaDrive (there's no region lock on the game).

I STILL haven't bought DoDonPachi, mainly because my reasoning is

1) What if DonPachi is more fun

2) There is a relatively cheap Gun Frontier, but I'm not sure if it's worth it

3) There is a Cotton 2 which looks interesting

4) There is Shienryu which also looks good

SO MANY CHOICES!!!!

1) It's not. DDP looks better, plays better, sounds better, and offers a better challenge.

2) Gun Frontier isn't that good of a game. It's not bad per se, but if you really want to play it, it can be gotten much cheaper on the Taito Legends 2 compilation.

3) Cotton 2 is good, but not as good as DDP.

4) **See 3**

Unfortunately both the Megadrive and Genesis versions of MUSHA are pretty pricey though. Worth it in my opinion though!

And yeah, DoDonPatchi is much better than the first game! There's also a version on Japanese PS2 if you have a modded system. Haven't really gotten into the whole bullet hell thing (there's too many old school arcade style shooters to tackle first) but DoDonPatchi just has the perfect amount of intensity, great weapons, graphics, everything. One of my favorites!