RPG cliches

glasfen

I don't recall seeing it as I skimmed through, so I'll throw one of my personal favorites here...

RPGs that give you virtually nothing to start with, yet expect you the save the whole damned world...

King- "The kingdom is in danger. Darkness has descended upon our lands, the people are in need of a savior, and we call upon you to defend us all from the great evil that approaches.

Now here's a stick and five bucks. GO FORTH AND CONQUER!"

You're a king! Gimme some money you cheap bastard, so I can buy something other than the absolute weakest armor and weaponry. At least let me get the second weakest.

RPGs that give you virtually nothing to start with, yet expect you the save the whole damned world...

You're a king! Gimme some money you cheap bastard, so I can buy something other than the absolute weakest armor and weaponry. At least let me get the second weakest.

Too true, too often! What's that, oh, any one of your knights can beat the snot out of me but you expect me to take on the ultimate evil... alone?! You couldn't send your army to take out the big bad guy? Good thing he'll wait until I level up and maybe form a posse.

I love and hate how so many of these apply to my favorite series...

The QFG series is an exception to rule 11

I wish more games tried to take this approach. It was one of the (many, many) reasons that the QfG series is my favorite non-console series behind Civ. Anything since the Saturn/PS1 era would be capable of this. KF

I don't recall seeing it as I skimmed through, so I'll throw one of my personal favorites here...

King- "The kingdom is in danger. Darkness has descended upon our lands, the people are in need of a savior, and we call upon you to defend us all from the great evil that approaches.

Now here's a stick and five bucks. GO FORTH AND CONQUER!"

As soon as you said this, Dragon Warrior came immediately to mind. Yeah, I know this trope/cliche applies to a lot more games than that (Final Fantasy, for example) but Dragon Warrior seems to be the most outright obvious. The King barely gives you enough gold to buy a weapon and armor. You can either buy a club and a set of clothes, or you can buy a bamboo stick and a set of leather armor.

THANKS A LOT, KING. XD

As soon as you said this, Dragon Warrior came immediately to mind. Yeah, I know this trope/cliche applies to a lot more games than that (Final Fantasy, for example) but Dragon Warrior seems to be the most outright obvious. The King barely gives you enough gold to buy a weapon and armor. You can either buy a club and a set of clothes, or you can buy a bamboo stick and a set of leather armor.

THANKS A LOT, KING. XD

King: "You gotta understand. The last dozen guys I gave money to went out and just killed slimes in the fields before running into the cave without a torch. Money's tight now."

Then again, to really get anywhere in your urgent quest to save the world, you had to run in circles and kill slimes for a few hours anyway. KF