Chrono Trigger DS - Only 15 Silver Points!

NNY

I got it. I've played it many, many times via emulator before, but hey.

I started it up, noticed some new dialog work, won some silver points, etc.

When Frog entered, however, something went very wrong. "Lower your guard, and you're allowing the enemy in."

What is this nonsense? I'm quite angry.

So they took away his English accent after all?

That's too bad. I know he didn't speak very formally in the Japanese version, but I always felt it worked with his character speaking that way and nobody else. It was as if he was overcompensating for feeling like he was unworthy of being a knight.

I got it. I've played it many, many times via emulator before, but hey.

I started it up, noticed some new dialog work, won some silver points, etc.

When Frog entered, however, something went very wrong. "Lower your guard, and you're allowing the enemy in."

What is this nonsense? I'm quite angry.

His manner of speech was part of what made him such a likable character. That is unfortunate news.

So they took away his English accent after all?

That's too bad. I know he didn't speak very formally in the Japanese version, but I always felt it worked with his character speaking that way and nobody else. It was as if he was overcompensating for feeling like he was unworthy of being a knight.

How many English people use thy/thine? None. It wasn't English, it was psuedo-Latin, and it was hamfisted anyway.

His manner of speech was part of what made him such a likable character. That is unfortunate news.

I was always partial to his spirit of determination, senses of honor and nobility, and the fact he rolled with being a frog. Bears are intense, but frogs are always cool.

How many English people use thy/thine? None. It wasn't English, it was psuedo-Latin, and it was hamfisted anyway.

I was always partial to his spirit of determination, senses of honor and nobility, and the fact he rolled with being a frog. Bears are intense, but frogs are always cool.

Do notice, I said part, good Sir. It was part of his personality, one of the first things you came to notice about him. Those you listed, also greatly encompass who Frog is and what makes him so likable.

Because it wasn't Old English, it was a painfully inadequate attempt by someone who had probably read a single Shakespeare poem in his life. I'm really, really glad they did away with that distracting travesty of the language.

But the fact that it's a butchery of Old English is why it seemed to fit him perfectly. Despite totally having no faith in himself and not being nobility (and being a Frog to boot), he's trying to be this ultra-formal, strict-honor-code-following knight so he's speaking in thys and thous while everyone else is speaking normally.

there's some item name changes i've noticed so far -- speed capsules instead of tabs, changes equipment names, etc. i just got to the end of time; been facing off against those guys soon...

oh yeah, there's room to add an "h" into Crono's name if you want to now. lol.

So, another curiousity I had regarding script changes (since I don't own a DS), did they change the names back to the originals? I.E. the Gurus, Ozzie/Slash/Flea?

No. They're all the same. Those names are all better than the originals anyway.

I honestly can't believe people actually took Frog's speech patterns so seriously. It's just a cute quirk after all, not a seriously relevant one. And the translation wasn't FFT-horrendous and it was fine as is. Then again, Square Enix makes a lot of strange design choices, including translations.

And the translation wasn't FFT-horrendous and it was fine as is.

FFT's translation was horrendously AWESOME. Surrender or die in obscurity!

Am I the only one here that was hoping for Masamune to have its real name?

Wait, what? Masamune had a different name in the original Japanese? I've heard nothing of this. (The Gurus and Ozzie/Flea/Slash I did know about, though.)

Wait, what? Masamune had a different name in the original Japanese? I've heard nothing of this. (The Gurus and Ozzie/Flea/Slash I did know about, though.)

According to wikipedia:

"Grand" and "Leon" in the Japanese version creating the sword "Grandleon."

...which is pretty lame, and I'm glad they changed it.

Also, I'm about 8 hours in and its awesome. I personally like the new localization. It seems in many ways more mature and subtle.

Oh man I haven't had this much fun in ages!