Chrono Trigger DS - Only 15 Silver Points!

NNY

I've never heard anyone pronounce it wrong really, but I'd love to hear someone call it "Mesamewn."

you should hang out with me sometime. I said it wrong, I also spoke Lucca "luka" and Marle "Marl", MasaMune "maza mew-n" but hey what are you going to when you're 12?

yeah I bought the DS version, worth it, I figure since I got the SNES cartridge for free (my cousin gave it to me in a box filled with a bunch of others) I should pay for at least a little!

It soon became my favorite game ever. or at least was the most influential, especially the music. fantastic music. and with the DS features like sound test and what have you, it was worth 40 bucks.

FFT's translation was horrendously AWESOME. Surrender or die in obscurity!

you know, i must own like 3 different copies of FFT but never bothered to play more than the first 2 missions or so. what is the translation like? and is the psp version any better?

I GOT A GOOD FEELING.

We opened it with courage and...! (This thread now a "random FFT dialogue!" thread.)

you know, i must own like 3 different copies of FFT but never bothered to play more than the first 2 missions or so. what is the translation like? and is the psp version any better?

Three different copies? To my knowledge there's only two versions of it released: the original PS1 and the PSP port. Unless you meant that you have three of the same disc for some reason...?

In any case, I thought the translation was awesome. It was campy as hell and probably not technically accurate, but that's why we loved it. The PSP version "fixes" the translation, but from what I hear it makes the game lose a lot of its charm. I haven't played the PSP version, though, so don't take my word for it.

I've never heard anyone pronounce it wrong really, but I'd love to hear someone call it "Masamewn."

I'll own up to calling it this the first time I read the text in the game. I'd never heard of the sword before, and I just figured that the characters who made it were indeed called "Masa" and "Mune [mewn]." I think I heard the correct pronunciation on an anime a few years later.

I'll own up to calling it this the first time I read the text in the game. I'd never heard of the sword before, and I just figured that the characters who made it were indeed called "Masa" and "Mune [mewn]." I think I heard the correct pronunciation on an anime a few years later.

hahaha I pronounced it exactly the same

you should hang out with me sometime. I said it wrong, I also spoke Lucca "luka" and Marle "Marl", MasaMune "maza mew-n" but hey what are you going to when you're 12?

LOL i was and still am the same. Until i read this thread i didnt know i was saying masamune wrong. I have always been a HUGE fan of the game (my first battle screen RPG i played, way before FF) and i have met even bigger fans and we all said it the same, MasaMewn. Oh well.

its kinda like that RYU (Rye-U, Ree-U) and Tidus (Tie-dus, Tea-dus thing)

wait is that not how you supposed to pronounce them

The only alternate pronounciations I can think of would be "lu-sha" (soft "c", like "s" rather than like "k") and "mar-lay" (with "mar" and "le" as seperate syllables, rather than "marl" with a silent "e"). Of course, I've always pronounced it "Luka", "Marl", and "Masamewn", and probably will continue to do so.

On a semi-related note, I used to have an ongoing debate on the proper pronounciation of "chocobo". When the newer games with voice acting came out, I was finally vindicated. All those years, and I was right all along! Mwahahahaha! (It's "cho-ko-bo", not "chok-o-bo".)

The other big pronounciation argument I can remember is Raiden. Rye-den or Ray-den? I've heard it both ways, even in voice acting, so I don't even know if there is a right answer to that one.

The other big pronounciation argument I can remember is Raiden. Rye-den or Ray-den? I've heard it both ways, even in voice acting, so I don't even know if there is a right answer to that one.

It's "rye-den," no matter how they may have said it in Mortal Kombat :P.

Man, I'm enjoying this game more this time around than the first time I had played it...I think I've had further exposure to the genre since then, so I can appreciate the battle system and whatnot that much more.

Three different copies? To my knowledge there's only two versions of it released: the original PS1 and the PSP port. Unless you meant that you have three of the same disc for some reason...?

I have 2 copies of the PSone release -- one when it first came out (black label) and a greatest hits version. I also have the PSP release, but its still in the shrink wrap. lol.

I always figured Lucca was pretty straight forward as "Luka", technically with a little extra "k" sound to be "Luk" "ka".

Marle is "Marl" with the silent e. We had a thread about it a few months back. That's probably the weirdest to say of the bunch.

What about Ayla? I always I assumed it's "ay" as in day as opposed to "aye, captain."

I just did some research. Oddly enough, Lucca's English Wikipedia entry is deleted.

But, the Japanese one says it's ”ルッカ(Rukka),” so "Luka" would be the correct pronunciation.

Marle is ”マール(Maru),” So drop the u at the end, and you got Marl.

Won't stop me from calling her "Marley" though. Much cuter.

I would be playing now, (during my Macroeconomics class), but the red light of IMMINENT BATTERY DEATH is lit and I forgot my charger at home.

that red light of imminent battery death is one of those features i like in the NDS -- it lets you know you better find a save point. the psp just shuts off without so much as an excuse me.

that red light of imminent battery death is one of those features i like in the NDS -- it lets you know you better find a save point. the psp just shuts off without so much as an excuse me.

The green power light blinks, you're just not paying attention.

Also, you can check how much charge is left by simply hitting the home button.

The green power light blinks, you're just not paying attention.

Also, you can check how much charge is left by simply hitting the home button.

ok, i was wrong then. the psp does at least say excuse me before it shuts off on you.

Though you have to admit that its hard to pay attention to one tiny green light, blinking or not, when its conveniently covered by your right thumb when you're holding the psp. (and no, i don't routinely push my home button to check my battery every now and then when i'm playing a game either.)

anyway, back to the subject at hand. i just got my bonus chrono trigger CD in the mail! yay. too bad only 2 songs though.