OCR01780 - Tetris Attack "Sound of the Dogfish"

djpretzel

• 2 months later...

Really interesting chiptune work, I must say. It's almost aspiring to resemble dance music, even though it's held back a fair margin, which I think was a wise thing to resist.

There is something very alluring about mixes that take the road less travelled and opt out of giving a certain source edge, rawness or a melancholy element. This is pure fun, with no attachments or hidden agendas.

The variety is the clear winner here. The only way anyone could get bored of this mix is if they absolutely loathed chiptune music. The prowess of arrangement is interest grasping of the strongest sort. It's a job really well done, in that regard. The only thing that suffers from the amount of variety is that the melodies aren't as resonant and there are no major hooks to speak of. Not that it really needs it, but generally with this bubbly sort of music there is an infectious quality that isn't as strong in this.

Despite that, I can't fault this. It's ambition is simple; I can appreciate that. And it's execution is detailed, dynamic and always interesting; I can appreciate that even more. This is a huge success with me.

• 4 months later...

Alright, screw it. I've never listened to this song up to this point - I have absolutely no idea why, but for my 200th review I figured I'd do something special and check it out.

Hey, I've been missing out! The lead synths are cute as all hell (I never thought I'd use that word to describe an instrument, but dammit it's appropriate here!) and the non-8-bit instruments like the drums, piano, and strings all make this feel like a Halc mix :-) You can tell his ability with creative processing and extra effects has improved since this mix was posted, but even his debut mix is still chock-full of all the awesomeness that makes me love his new mixes so much!

Happy 200th December review to me :-D And halc, keep being smexy like this! :nicework:

• 3 years later...

Can't say much that hasn't already been said. This is one of halc's most fun remixes on the site, and it's certainly cute. Kind of J-poppy at times, but it doesn't overdo it either.

I really dig the drum programming here, too. Usually panned snares bother me like crazy, but you somehow keep things filled out and it just sounds cool to be honest.

nice job

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01780 - Tetris Attack "Sound of the Dogfish"