HD Remix soundtrack: What files/encoding quality do you want?

Liontamer

HD Remix soundtrack: What files/encoding quality do you want?  

130 members have voted

1. 1. HD Remix soundtrack: What files/encoding quality do you want?

• 192kbps MP3s are fine
    • Higher bitrate (>192kbps) VBR MP3s
    • FLAC/WAVs (lossless)
    • The format doesn't matter. I trust you guys!

I'm going to be honest, I can tell the difference between an mp3 and a lossless formant. That said, its harder to tell the difference between different bitrates of mp3s and honestly the difference isn't a huge deal breaker but considering the increasingly lo-fi quality music that is being passed around there simply needs to be full-on lossless music that exists out there. Even if the average user can't tell the difference the point is that there is, in fact, a difference and accepting an mp3 as an equal of lossless is shallow-sighted.

Converting to FLACs and tagging them will take maybe an hour or so, and from that point forward it is made available for people to have in whatever format they want in whatever quality they want. This is OCR's first big project, let's try to do it right.

I really have the best/most sensitive/ahhhh ears out of all of you, and believe me when I say that I win this with my opinion!

On a side note, because being on topic is a side note, what were we even talking about? I'd say offer 192 kb sounds fine and FLAC would be nice, offered separately for those people that are extremely OCD and I have no qualms against that at all, you be how you gotta be, bro!

Converting to FLACs and tagging them will take maybe an hour or so[...]

Even better, there are free programs which will mass-copy tags for you! Foobar2000 -- popularly regarded as a spartan media player -- is actually very useful simply as a media file utility. Just add all the tagged MP3s, then add the untagged FLACs, select all, and right-click -> Tagging -> Copy Info Between Files. Done!

I'm going to be honest, I can tell the difference between an mp3 and a lossless formant.

Wait. Are you saying you can tell the difference between any MP3 and the original audio? Unless you've done double-blind listening tests with 320Kbps MP3, this seems highly unlikely. Sure, there are a few kinds of samples which will trip up MP3 at even the highest quality, but this doesn't occur too commonly, and while the effect is noticeably different it tends to be more-or-less subtle at high bitrates.

I'm all for the flexibility of FLAC, but I find it difficult to accept that someone can hear immediate and obvious flaws with any and all MP3 encoding.

Keep in mind that while most users may listen to it on an iPod or computer speakers (CDs, Zircon? Really?), some won't. Like yours truly. I actually don't like to listen to music through headphones, and I am planning to invest in a high quality speaker system. In that context, quality difference will be significantly more apparent. For that reason, my music collection is entirely in Monkey's Audio (a cousin of FLAC, with slightly better compression rates but for some reason not nearly as well-supported). Now of course I'm probably not representative of even .5% of those who will download these tracks, but given how little effort a lossless release will take, I see little reason to disenfranchise me. As for space and bandwidth, remember that this is a torrent, and not an HTTP download. The whole point of torrents is to save on these things by distributing it out to us, the fans, and I will do my part to seed to thank you all for the fantastic, free tunage. If you're still concerned, there are ways to make them smaller, such as different ways to compress them (put the flacs in one folder, mp3s in the other, and zip em both up, or use .7z, which is more efficient).

Furthermore, let's remember that there is an objective difference between mp3s and lossless, even if most people don't care. But this is a site very concerned with production quality. Would the judges pass a mix if there were production issues that 99% of the listeners wouldn't hear and/or care about? OCR prides itself on being the creme de la creme, so why limit availability to anything less than that?

Would the judges pass a mix if there were production issues that 99% of the listeners wouldn't hear and/or care about?

Depends on the track. I have before.

But I don't see why so many people are confusing encoding quality with overall musical and/or production quality. They're not exactly interchangeable.

It's like trying to compare listening to a fart played as a 24 bit 192khz wave vs a decent music track mp3 played at 192kbps. It's not even a proper comparison.

At any rate, I don't even care if a FLAC torrent is put out at this point. The folks like Moguta have explained themselves the most sensibly, and I respect that. At this point I'm still just getting an enormous kick at all the folks saying "hey, I can tell a difference..." :lol:

OMG NO WAI U CAN DISTINGISH MP3 FROM TEH FLACS!

does it even matter why some people want lossless? people prefer what they prefer, doing a blind AB test or whateva isn't going to change that

and I still haven't heard a good reason why there can't be 2 torrents, one for mp3 and one for FLAC. and bandwidth is not a good reason.. this is a torrent afterall

OMG NO WAI U CAN DISTINGISH MP3 FROM TEH FLACS!

does it even matter why some people want lossless? people prefer what they prefer, doing a blind AB test or whateva isn't going to change that

and I still haven't heard a good reason why there can't be 2 torrents, one for mp3 and one for FLAC. and bandwidth is not a good reason.. this is a torrent afterall

One torrent, mp3 & FLAC, is what we're doing.

592MB, including Windows FLAC installer.

As for good reasons why not to do two torrents, well, it's hard getting dedicated seeders, and the entire bittorrent mechanism works better when there's more people on a given torrent. IMO the FLAC torrent would be dead in a week... combined torrent actually HELPS those arguing for FLAC, because it brings the MP3 peeps to their seeding aid, and what not. Plus one torrent makes our lives easier.

Dave wondered why I even made a poll, when it meant that audiophiles vs. audiophilistines would yack each others ears off on who's right. And I'll tell y'all the same thing I told him just now. I didn't care about the debate, I just cared about the poll.

And thanks to the poll, we now have a new album release standard. HQ MP3s & FLACs. 21st century TECH, son. Learn to love it.

[18:53] <@djpretzel> http://bt.ocremix.org/files/OC_ReMix_-_Super_Street_Fighter_II_Turbo_HD_Remix_Official_Soundtrack.torrent

[18:53] <@djpretzel> please download and seed

[18:53] <@djpretzel> for great justice