OCR01018 - Ecco: The Tides of Time (GG) "Medusa Mix"

djpretzel

hrm...that first sample didnt do anything for me.

The second one that came in and played the main melody (that sounds like an old atari ST) is much better...and then the sizzlead kicks in and the mix takes off...though I would have preferred the rubbery synths to have been quieter, letting the sizzlead and glockenspiel-sounding things do their thing.

the transition is a little ouch...its...not badly done, so to speak, but most certainly not perfect, but when it goes back to the higher BPM, it seems to work...I wonder why that is...

Overall...its okay...

Nothing mindblowing, but then again nothing so apalling you cant listen to it more than once.

I have to echo what DJP said -- there are some really nice, fresh synth sounds in this piece. That slow pad that comes in around 0:15 is just awesome!

Honestly I think the transitions are kinda abrupt. They fit for the most part, but they could use either a buildup or a pause or SOMETHING to indicate that a transition is actually happening. It's kind of like when you change topics mid-paragraph without any prior hint that you're going to do so. Did I mention my cat is fuzzy? (See what I mean? :P) Even then the transitions aren't really that bad -- they're just the weakest element of this piece.

The mastering and effects are excellent throughout. The music really shimmers and sounds very full, without ever becoming muddy. I kinda have a gripe around 0:26 when the lead synth fades just a little too much in the background for my tastes, but it comes right back anyway :)

Overall I found this to be a very enjoyable, well-made mix. Thanks Sadorf!

Fray.

Fray.

Hey man, I remember commenting on this in the WIP a LOOOOOOONG way back. I probably still have the last version of this on my computer somewhere. I heard a few different versions, and you definitely have cleaned this up and made it quite cool since then. Very good job. Nothing totally wowzorz about this track, but the original tune was catchy and nice, and you did a good job of keeping it that way. Very enjoyable.

Well I've listening this song almost since sadorf started it, and I've always liked it. Yes its a bit old and took long to get posted but I think that it deserves to be where it is now. The soft synths flow nicely in this song, and although the transition is a bit abrupt, its a nice change and it kills what could have been a repetitive remix. Nice Work to sadorf, and I think we'll be seeing more of his work posted as well.

Hmm.

This is a pretty simple little peice. It doesn't very too much from the original, even in the arrangement of the music. The drums are mushy sounding, and are just a little too basic. Some nice snare fills would fit in nicely, or some hats that weren't just straight 16th notes. Most of the synths are flat and tinny, and lack the movement (automation is your friend. Use it) that is typical with this style. The tempo-change in the middle is a neat idea, but it comes in at entirely the wrong time. Just as the music is starting to pick up, everything sloooows down. This technique can sound good and add a lot of tension/interest to a peice, but it just doesn't work here.

I like the accompanying(?) synth line at the beginning, it's got a great texture, and fits into the peice (not too loud, not too high/mid/low freq.). I felt I had to find at least one thing I liked about this peice, so I wasn't completely bashing on it.

Frankly, I don't see how this made it past the judges. I just find this mix fairly amaturish and hastily/lazily put together. This peice has plenty of potential, but it sounds very underdeveloped at the moment.

Wow, it FINALLY made it. I was one of the first people to hear this song way back. I actually already had the final version that you see here because I PMed him and requested it when he told me he finished. This song is more then half a year old already and it just appeared on the site heh. I still got the last few wips saved somewhere. I'm just glad this finally made it. Congrats Sadorf!

The low kick was a nice touch. However, I find the snare just a tad weak for my liking.

The square-based synth and the saws are a nice contrast. But I like how he cut off the delay from the square-intro synth.

The saw-pads are nice, saws they may be but of the right texture to make it not grating. The pipe-organish synth (I think its a saw?) is pretty good.

But what I like is the tinkling off the leads... how nice and laid back they are.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a lot that contributes to this remix, and IMHO, it deserves picking apart.

0:00 -nice relaxed intro. the bass almost sounds bell-like, and I'm really liking the synth that's playing the melody.

0:15 - hey! Where'd the melody go?!? I was really enjoying that. What's that high quiet annoying synth?

0:20 - Oh, must be a new melody, now that I can hear it well. Not quite as much fun as the first, but it's OK. It feels tense how the melody's a little off from the bass, especially with the odd syncopation.

0:33 - Oh good. Sounds like the main melody is coming back.

0:35 - Mmmmm. There it is. Hmmmm. It's a much more alive this iteration, with the drums and the tempo change.

0:44 - Mmmmm. Nice effect with the glockenspeil countermelody. That helps me get re-oriented from :15.

1:18 - ??? It's all slow again.

1:32 - different countermelody, different synth, but has a similar stabilising effect. it's a little creepier this time, which fits with the slower tempo.

1:57 - alright! sounds like main melody's coming back

2:01 - not only is it back, but it's faster and has a glockenspeil doing a countermelody again

2:17 - sounds like it's coming to a close

2:27 - the bouncy melody fades

2:37 - and it's over

This remix really resonates with me, but I can't put my finger on the reason. Hmm. Nice work, at any rate.

Wether you liked the song or not, i wuold just like to thank you all for your comments, as it is always nice to get feedback on what is right and what may be wrong. and to clear up a tiny thing about the snare being weak. I lost the file for the song and was stuck with what you see here, and i would have encoded it a little higher to rid it of some of the swishy sounds, but ah well heh.

Thanks again everyone, maybe the next song i do will have all the problems people had with this one fixed (and prolly have diff probs) heh.

:D

I /really/ dig the "dark" groove djpretzel mentioned... at 0:33 I was afraid for a second that it was going to turn into just another generic techno mix with all the usual tricks and patches, but Sadorf didn't succumb to the temptation, pumped a fresh feel into this and the world is a better place for it!

• 2 months later...

Jeez, I just noticed that I have not commented on this song! I was among those that requested the final version of this song a long time ago, and before that eagerly awaited each update. It is damn catchy, that is what I have to stress.

I normally need to be pretty hammered to want to dance, but this song makes me want to bust a move and stuff. . .

• 8 months later...

I like it!

It starts out nice and slow, then gets progressively builds. Then there is the calmer part at 1:19 only to build back to what it was after the intro.

I think it gets a little repeatative, but that is somewhat counteracted by the slower part at 1:19. So the song isn't boring because it repeates, in fact it just has that kind of sound that sticks in your head and becomes a song that you can't get rid of.

Good mix! Make more!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01018 - Ecco: The Tides of Time (GG) "Medusa Mix"