Best program for changing the pitch of an MP3?

Good luck with that. It's incredibly hard to transpose a full audio file, since it means determining which parts of the file are notes, which are drum beats, and so on, and when you've got a bunch of things happening at the same time, making sense of them individually is really hard. No one's going to be giving away quality software that can transpose accurately all the time, if such software even exists.

audacity allows you to change the pitch of a file without changing the length, but it'll make the way it sounds change.

there is no program that'll change a file to any key without distorting the tenor of the sound - it's the nature of what you want to do. you can use something like antares autotune or melodyne to change the pitch of a monophonic line, but there's nothing to adjust the pitch of a polyphonic work without distorting everything.

It is not given away, no. The best in the industry at the moment is http://www.prosoniq.com/main/timefactory-2-windows/ - Cubase's got this, and even then you still get artifacts.

Pacemaker for Winamp has a nag screen and is not realtime and a bit choppy when you go to extremes, but it's good enough for me. When I want actual timestretching, I'll use Live's built in stuff (not realtime).

http://www.winamp.com/plugins/details/12689

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...