OCR01019 - Seiken Densetsu 3 "Memories of the Sea"

djpretzel

I have never played this game before, so I don't know the original, but even so, I still recommend this, as even though it is short, I still think this is a very cool song nevertheless. The waves near the beginning definitely give the song the ocean like atmosphere. However, for some reason, it reminds me of the Wild West, instead of the ocean... Recommended.

I also found this to be somewhat mediocre. It doesn't feel like too much emotion coming out of it, reminds me more of musak in that respect. And the drums really annoy me. I felt they didn't accent the somewhat sorrowfulness of this mix with such busy drumming. Riding with 8th notes (If you count this as 6/8) unevenly and using 16th note hits on the kick twice like that, doesn't really work too well in my opinion. It would've gone better with just riding quarter notes and perhaps a kick on the 1, 3, and 6, and snare on 4. Those fills also seemed very "blah" and the tom run at 1:27 makes me sad. When it comes to drumming, sometimes less is more. The guitar I have to admit though, sounds very articulate and reminded me of Mitsuda's Cross work. The bass does a nice job of leading the song through chord changes, and the piano sounds great. Basically, even though everything but the guitar sound somewhat mechanical, I would feel a lot more emotion from the song if the drums just let it breathe more.

There's something special about this mix... can't quite place my finger on it; it's simple, but it has a sort of quiet power. It reminds me of something, I don't know what... but I like it.

8/10 Nice Works, +1 for the undefinable uniqueness about it :P

:nicework::nicework::nicework::nicework::nicework::nicework::nicework::nicework::nicework:

Edit: Oh, and since it took a little detective work for me to find it (broken link in ID tag)--

http://mattpollard.fourty-two.net/audio/jbommarito/

Hmm... your other stuff isn't quite as impressive Joe B, but still nice to chill to :P "Midnight Lurking" is pretty spiff.

:22 totally pulls me in--the lead is delicate and gorgeous. the attention to detail on the guitar (complete with fretting noises) is quite excellent, although some could be done to make it feel more like a live performance (more attention to velocities, "imperfections" in playing). when the transition is made into :44, it sends chills down my spine. the accentuating bells scream kikuta and perfectly complement the haunting melody.

the guitar solo that begins at 1:06 moves us deeper into the piece--i think some ambience (sea or outside) could've spruced up the overall "feel" here, but the instrumentation and composition is great. the drumming is human and elaborate and that snare has just enough reverb on it. the original material meshes incredibly well with the piece, and i think the piano playing is natural and realistic, bringing the arrangement back around in full circle.

engaging, subtly gorgeous, well-produced, and an overall awesome first submission.

-m

Hum.. This isn't bad at all. Bear with me because I'm half asleep here, it's 1:35 AM right now but I felt like checking OCR to see the new stuff. I really love the guitar work and the guitar bassline work that was done in this Joe. I really hope that someday I can learn how to make an arrangement that sounds anything CLOSE to this. Once again, great work, I'm jealous. :)

Beautiful...thats the word that describes this...beautiful.

I notice at some points the flute sounding instrument sounds as if it has a synth playing along with it...which I actually found to be enjoyable ^_^

As Matt said, the guitar work here is brilliant, though I disagree when he said more could have been done to make it sound real..it sounded perfectly fine to me.

The piano piece was excellent as well, which is great and as has been previously said, I kinda expected some sea sounds or something to come in, but its no big that they didnt.

While the track is perfectly long enough I found myself thinking "aww...is that it? Where's the rest?" cause I kinda expected more.

On the same vein, I dont really like the ending...

Though now I listen to it a second (and third ^_^) time, I find it to be okay...though I would have preferred something else (and once again I am at a loss to explain exactly what)

Overall a really good track...good for chillin out or usin as study music or somethin..nice work ^_^

A really nice, tranquil piece. I particularly like the care taken on the flute patch to expressively add tremolo, vibrato and pitch bend.

The only possible complaint I might have is that the drumkit sounded hard panned. This is probably because I was listening through headphones though. Not the best medium for analyzing a stereo mix :P

So yeah, ignore my false alarm ^_^

Nice work on this. I think it's acomplished everything that could be expected of it :)

• 3 months later...

very nicely done. If I hadn't stolen the ROM from my sister, i never would have ever even looked at this one. It feels very sad and wistful. The flute/recorder thingy solo is excellent, but i thought the ending kind of...dropped off into nothingness.. i'm not sure if that what you were going for. nevertheless, great job on your first work. one more thing, i like the melody a lot and the guitar hidden in there!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

Some of the samples are a bit fakey, like that guitar. I think it wouldn't stick out so much if there were more velocities. Despite this, this is a pretty nicely done mix. The bass part is interesting, and the drums are tastefully done.

This is more of an upgrade rather than a complete re-imagining, but it works very well and the thoughtful touches like the sea sound effects and varied lead instruments make it great on repeat listens to just chill to.

• 4 years later...

I've never played SD3, but this has a great atmosphere. It calmly expresses a deep kind of anguish. Loving the sudden increase in energy at 45", and the subtle pitch bend added to the flute adds a nice nuance. I agree that velocities could've been played with more, but every instrument has volume and clearly audible. And that bass (oh so ubiquitous in SNES RPGs) provides a great contrast to the higher instruments.

• 6 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01019 - Seiken Densetsu 3 "Memories of the Sea"