OCR01020 - Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening "Braving Tal Tal Heights"

djpretzel

Mmm. Good percussion stuff. Trance beat that actually is interesting and detailed. Good fills and such as DJP said.

I kinda feel that the string lead is too loud. It seems to overshadow a lot of stuff. But the way it is handled and the melody it plays is very tight.

The banjo is quite interesting, though I don't think I'm really fond of the pattern it and the synth plays. They kinda just do the same thing over and over, just change notes. When the melody and everything is going together, there just seems to be no interesting rhythms going on in the mix other than the lead. Doesn't bug me much, and it does give a really fast moving feel.

The section at 3:08 is quite nice. Dig. Good sounds, good break from everything else.

Good stuff.

I very rarely use this phrase, but hot damn. There's a definite energetic feel to it, which it always good, and I like how things keep getting switched up (instruments, key, etc). Maybe it's just because I don't listen to a lot of techno, but this is very reminiscent of McVaffe's IceCapped mix, which isn't a bad thing. Quite a good thing, in fact. For a remix this long, it managed to keep my attention throughout the entire thing. Nice work. A++++ would download and rave about again.

Oh my god. The memories... Beautiful.

Strings are great, great key change.

Mixes like this make me want to cry. I remember the days when I was 8, in the car to go to maryland for the summer, and I'm in the backseat of our minivan, playing Link's Awakening on my Gameboy.

I love the piano and the echo pizzacatto strings.

The banjo's mad hot =D

Overall, beautiful. Want more.

Love just about everything in this mix -- I definitely like the banjo, I think it somehow fits the theme very well. It keeps me from thinking "uber-ultra-trance using the Tal Tal Heights melody" and instead "Tal Tal Heights trance-style but keeping the same feel as the original."

And I cannot express just how impressive that beat is -- it flat out owns the beats in a whole slew of "professional" trance songs.

yh

this is great, although the high's around 2:25 are really hard on the ears, but maybe i've been working to hard today, i loved this theme from the game, i used to go to the one area where the it could be heard right before you went to the swamp grotto just to hear the theme, great mix

I've never really liked trance, but DAMN this is good!

You know, I think this is the first time I've ever rocked out to a violin :) The banjo is also really good for keeping the feel of the original.

The only thing I didn't like about this song was the ending...it just kinda dwindles out. From about 5:00 on is pretty much fluff. It could have either been shortened by about 20 seconds, or had one last burst of music to keep the remaining time a little bit more lively.

Geez this took all of 2 days to be accepted and posted. Thats gotta be a record :wink: (you know we love you djp)

Hehe you know the fear factory mix that just got posted a few weeks ago from DKC? I submitted it like 10 pm monday night and it got posted tues morning because of disco dan and dc.

Disco dan the man does it again

d00d ur such a pimp

Ah, I've been waiting my whole life for a good Zelda Link's Awakening remix. And the Tal Tal Heights song is certainly the greatest original song from the Game Boy game. This remix has such a perfect sound for it, it actually feels like the original with that banjo...inspired. I should say that the song *is* a trifle repetitive, but it's got a fantastic sound, and whenever the violin is in front all repetitiveness drains away for the sweeping melody of the mountains of Koholint Island.

Thank you, DD, for providing this for those of us who dived headfirst into Koholint when we were young and never forgot it.

As far as the banjo and violin were concerned, they were WAY out of place. Luckily, that's a good thing. They sound similar to the frequencies of sound used in the game's music, so it's spot on. I have to say, this mix was by far the best Disco Dan track ive heard. Feel free to do with me what you will in #ocremix. :wink:

Coincidentially, I heard a commentary on Canadian Broadcasting Radio about how banjos were considered crap, basically old-fashioned, and only for polka and bluegrass. But the station said that a few songs use banjos in comentary rock and alternative music. But banjos in trance? Woo-ha! Now that's originality!

Anyway, onto Double A Ron's praise and worshiping paragraph of Disco Dan's latest song. Pretty, good. I can't say it's as great as his Mega Man tunes, but Dan pulls in some good piano, violin, and banjo riffs. Nice! All in all though, basically the same stuff, odd synth lines, cool TB-303ish bass, good pads, and the special reverb setting. Typical Disco Dan stuff, with a few new acoustic influences here and there. Keep up the good work, Disco Dan!

Double A...

Well, I personally see this as nothing short of incredible, which is not something new to Disco Dan. His Mega Man 3 soundtrack is still my most favorite set of tunes for that game -- and here, he presents nothing short of excellent. The beat just flows perfectly throughout the entire song. I love the piano intro!! I think that is such a great lead into a fantastic rhythm. I can guarentee I'll be listening to this one constantly in the coming weeks! GREAT JOB! :)

This is, by far, the best song from the Link's Awakening soundtrack. I used to just sit around in Tal Tal Heights to listen to the song... it was AMAZING, even on the GB.

That being said, this remix captures the feel of the soung PERFECTLY. The banjo, while an odd choice, seems to fit what the original song had in it. I love how there is a noticable bass beat, but not too overpowering (blame DDR for making me expect that...)

I really can't find any major faults with this song, except for the fact that it's not very loopable. Many good ReMixes are helped by the fact that if you leave them on repeat and don't pay extremely close attention, you can lose track of whether the song has repeated or not. (Maybe I should say that the end and beginning mesh well, but I like that other explanation better :P)

Awesome ReMix, I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Cool stuff. Nice to hear some new Link's Awakening stuff. Still my favourite Zelda game.

The banjo is cool. The strings are a little much, but a good choice. Nice breakdowns in the track. Perfect trance music.

The ending leaves more to be desired. In the future, I'd recommend ending a little sooner. The octave jumping in the strings is pretty lame. At least it doesn't fade out (I know it does, but it's not a fade out ending like in the middle of the song, if that makes sense).

Maybe you had mixing in mind when making this tune. If you did, it's excellent for that. 'Cause right here I'd mix in some BT.

Fun stuff. Adds a lot to the original. I like it.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01020 - Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening "Braving Tal Tal Heights"