Stacatto Blue WIP - Have a listen and Critique

Fechin

Okay, everything that was here before is gone. I reworked the drums to be a lot less bland (still working on that, not quite how I feel them to be yet) and have redone the equalizer to have a lot more "Oompf" when it comes to the bass. Also trying to work on a break in the song, but as I said before, it is coming along VERY slowly (we're talking like 4 notes a day at the most). Can't quite figure out the melody I wanna use for the break. Was thinking I could possibly throw in a little of another MM3 song in there (protoman perhaps?) but I'd need to work that out a bit more. Advice and/or help would be great.

gitg

Now before you go and say you can't hear the bass, here's the equalizer setting I use with my player (which is how it sounds to me). I can't be held accountable for crappy equalizer settings on Media Players. Also need to note. I use Winamp as my player of choice for the fact that the equalizer is far more comprehensive than WMP. So here's that Equalizer setting. I swear you will never change your EQ settings again after using this one. It works on ALL genres of music perfectly (even a capella stuff). All-Around EQF File

Overall, the soundscape is too thin. A lot of the time, it's a lead and its melodic backing (delays), plus drums. No bass, no chords, none of that stuff. Would be nice to hear some more interpreted versions of the melody too, as this is a commonly remixed track.

I like the drum writing, but not necessarily their sound. Works well as an intro, but it'd be nice to have more beef on them, on pretty much everything for the rest of the track.

I think this could be great once it's filled out more. Good luck.

THanks for your input :D Yeah, I'm working on making a counter melody for a little break in the middle so it's not just the same thing over and over again, but it's coming along very slowly. And I didn't know the bass was so low. I'll have to up the volume on those tracks and repost this shortly.

Okay. Bumping because the song has been reworked and would like to have people take a look at the new tracks and EQ. First post in this thread has been edited with new info. Check it out, yo. There's some vital information that plays a big part on how the song sounds.

Taking a listen, here goes:

I'd say an overarching crit here is that this song is very simple. For nearly the whole track, you've basically got a drum loop (changing occasionally) and a couple synths covering melody/counterpoint.

On top of that, the synths playing the melody basically do it verbatum from the source. For OCR, you've got to bring more to the table than drum loops on top of exact source melody.

Loops on their own sound great, but (and I'm assuming you're dropping in premade drum loops) there's little variation. If you're dead set on using loops, slice them up and rearrange them with fills, offbeats, anything new to break up the same repeating pattern.

Try to take the source in new directions: break it down away from the original pattern, play with some new notes, change the chord progression to throw the listener for a loop.

As Roz mentioned, a lot of basic elements that make up a song are missing here. Keep listening to more music and keep working on more material. When I was first starting I tended to get locked into working on a single song, where I was trying to make it work, but not developing as an artist. I'd recommend you leave this one alone for now and experiment with some new material and new ideas.

You should not mix music in order to listen to it through an eq in you media player. The eqs on media players are there so people can compensate for things like room size and crappy speakers (personal taste too).

The remix overall feels empty.like Rozovian said. You need to get more people in there, it's too lonely.