OCR01022 - Xenogears "Heartfelt Recollections"

djpretzel

As I listened this, suddenly I was time warped back to the 80's. Then the style started to change and became more modern and started to sound more like the 90's. This definitely gave me a feel of nostalgia as DJP said in the description of the official post. There just isn't enough Xenogears remixes, but this is an excellent addition to my current list of them. Thank you Suzumebachi, for submitting this. Especially to the judges for passing this beautiful piece of work. :P

I don't usually add my opinion here, which is obvious by my post count and my lack of presence in this forum (no particular reason, just never felt the need).

With that said, all I can say about this mix is, "Dude, this rocks." So, that's all I'll say about it, then.

I like the intro greatly....though I feel more could have been done with the piano, cause it seemed a little empty and kinda blah, despite being good.

The opening chords...I would have preferred to flow into one another...its not that the ones used are bad or anything, but thats just a personal preference of mine.

The drums, I didnt like...they sounded raspy, though Im putting that one down to my duff soundcard (its been playing up lately)

¿The only thing I out-and-out dont like is the kinda "....oh" thing youve got going on at the ending. It sounds like "Ive got a good remix goin on here...but I'm going to the pub *submit*" y'know?

I just think something better could have been done there...

Otherwise is good, really good, yeah ^_^

• 4 weeks later...

isk, the original melody is called "June Mermaid". Many people acclaim that melody as one of the better ones in Xenogears, but I've never really taken to it.

Funny that I absolutely adore this remix though, great job!

My one gripe is the part at the end, with the abrupt change in melody. I know that in the original, the abruptness was what made the piece so transcendental, but a lead in wouldn't have hurt, especially since the other parts of the song flowed so well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

NECRO!

You know, it's a song like this that reminds me why I love OCRemix so much. I trust the judges to weed out the crap that comes in and that they'd never post an unworthy mix. With that side, the other reason that goes hand in hand with it is when you start looking through songs posted a couple years back, the ones from 2002-2003 (just barely before I started not making my presence felt), you find these mixes that are just so powerful and awesome. You smack yourself in the head and go, "Man, why didn't I find this sooner?!"

This song definitely brought that exact reaction out of me this morning. I was jamming out to The Ballad of Sir Kibbles and I thought to myself, "I wonder if Suzumebachi has any other badass mixes?" So I checked it out and saw he had a Xenogears mix (which means it is a required listen) and assumed the dropped jaw position.

I love this mix. It hits all the right notes on my musical palette. The mood, the instruments just convey everything perfectly. Even if everyone out there says it's just a "good" mix and not great, I have the pleasure of feeling every emotion this mix was supposed to invoke in the listener.

I do have one minor gripe, though. The percussion was a little loud to me. It was as if it were saying, "Hey, look, I'm percussion! Pay attention to me!" but the percussion wasn't exactly what was for dinner here.

Keep up the awesome, Bachi.

• 5 months later...

Didn't think i would like it as i listened to the first few seconds (trying not to judge), but this song is freakin' beautiful! The percussion had some good snare and high hat work, the muted guitar was a wonderful addition, and when the piano takes the melody towards the end it sounds great. High quality sounds all across the board. My favorite part has to be where the guitar intially rips into the main melody at almost one minute. Really took me back. The minor sounding lower string notes at the end (3:26, 3:35) really gave the ending another dimension apart from the rest of the Remix and made the ending memorable for me. Great mix, suzumebachi.

• 1 year later...

Oh my...I haven't played Xenogears in my life and I'm a guy...and yet for some reason this song moved me to near-tears. It is a friggin' beautiful song and should be downloaded immediately. I remember downloading it awhile ago, but somehow lost track of it until I was just surfing around OCRemix. I'm really disappointed I lost it for awhile. *tear* Beautiful mix.

• 7 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Listening to this a few times in a row late at night at work right now. Thanks, it's great. More remixes of June Mermaid are welcome. I would also recommend listening to the Xenogears Creid version:

I also agree with MechaFone: "This song just reminds me so much of days long gone by." That makes sense, considering the title of the song. :)

• 1 month later...

Little heavy handed on the piano delay, and the percussion is pretty mechanical and dry, but this is a really well done mix otherwise. I really enjoyed it, great guitar tone with both the clean and leads, and a good sense of progression. Good mix of live and synth instruments, and a well captired nostalgic theme. I dig it. :-)

• 1 year later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01022 - Xenogears "Heartfelt Recollections"