Gamboy Tetris B Remix

PROTO·DOME

Sample loop effect, the sound a sample has when it's looping a too short loop and where the sound doesn't change over sustained notes. If you listen closely, you should hear a very annoying repetitive tone to it, something synths rarely get and can easily fix, and something non-looped recordings never suffer from. Listen to it sustained at 1:37, it's noisy in a bad way.

Ah-ha! I gotcha! I see exactly what you mean now- thanks. That's due to the annoying reverb I put on it- it sounds like it loops itself over. Okay I'll edit that one out. Hrmmm I'll need some kinda volume automation instead...

Hey, what the hell, why not? Here's the update then. I tried to fix it all up as Rozovian suggested.

So here it is!

http://www.mediafire.com/file/mkgovinhg5m/Surface+Proximity+Warning.mp3

Oh yeah and:

Could use more bass, everything sounds a bit hissy and weak without enough bass..

I can't put more bass on! The bass is following the guitar mainly and does diverge but adding in a more complex bassline makes it generally jumbled and messy. I've tried it. Any other suggestions?

Very good. It's hard to critique.

One thing I forgot to mention last time was I liked, at least the intro, better when it was a higher note in the first take.

The area I noted before (~0:47) is better, even from the first version. Although, somehow, I want the background to be more dynamic; not repeating that one note from 0:47-0:51.

I think small things could be improved all through the song. Nothing specific, I just think in time, you might improve it in small, minute ways.

Rozovian- Ah ha! Gotcha. Yup. Will be done ^^

Rokin2Mordor- Wow, I'm nervous already! Y'know, I may just do that soon... Thanks!

SplinterofChaos- 0:47-0:51- yup see what you mean, yeah, I think I'll vary that a lil' more (it's my favorite bit)

Awesome thanks very much. I'll resubmit what will hopefully be the last time ^^

Hmm…

I'm thinking this as close to perfection that you can get.

I would be thinking of submitting this if I were you.

(Well, maybe not. I am something of a perfectionist.)

Please don't say things like this. I enjoy it as well but there is a very low chance this would be accepted just based on how it was made. OCR hates presets, which this has plenty of; i've heard that guitar a billion times, along with the drumkit. the breakdown section is a very nice exception to this.

Don't get me wrong I actually really like what you've done, the arrangement itself is pretty creative. But the presets and the chippy low-fi sounds kill it. Put in some good instruments, get a new drumkit, and then come back with this and the nuances can be fixed.

Please don't say things like this. I enjoy it as well but there is a very low chance this would be accepted just based on how it was made. OCR hates presets, which this has plenty of; i've heard that guitar a billion times, along with the drumkit. the breakdown section is a very nice exception to this.

Don't get me wrong I actually really like what you've done, the arrangement itself is pretty creative. But the presets and the chippy low-fi sounds kill it. Put in some good instruments, get a new drumkit, and then come back with this and the nuances can be fixed.

Yeah, of course I know what you mean, but I am limited by what I've got. This is pretty much the highest quality I can do, I disagree with the chip sounds- cuz c'mon- how original can a basic (non-sinusoidal)waveform actually be?

I know you're right- but heck, I may as well try with what I've got. If you could suggest any VSTs or Samples/Soundfonts that would really help.

• 3 weeks later...

This is the last and final update unless someone says anything incredible, radical, pivotal or whatever about how I can change it. Or if there's something majorly wrong or something. But apart from that. Final. No more.

In all it's glory, "Surface Proximity Warning"

http://download131.mediafire.com/mo5x1yexed4g/okzwmmjjmm0/Surface+Proximity+Warning.mp3

So...for the first few seconds I was like "wtf is up with these samples? Did this whole thread go buy and no one said anything about that guitar sample?" and then after a few seconds I was like "wtf who cares this song is awesome."

ThaSauce stamp of approval FOR SURE. I kinda hope OCR takes it too, though :o. 'Cause this is h0tness.

So...for the first few seconds I was like "wtf is up with these samples?"

I know... Annoyingly enough it's the one damn thing that's holding this song back. I'd rather not the "song's alright, crap samples, shame" syndrome. I'll try one last time with the guitars I think. It's kinda bugging me.

Did this whole thread go buy and no one said anything about that guitar sample?

It didn't, they did... Alot... Heh...

'Cause this is h0tness.

Yay! ^^

EDIT- DAMMIT! It's been all this time and I've spelt "Gameboy" wrong in the thread title!?

Holy hot damn…

What in the Hell did you do it this time!

It sounds like you went up a few octaves in tone!!

It also sounds like you played a little more with the effects, which I think is a great thing, in my opinion.

I did I want to comment on the last version of this…

Somewhere between 2:20 and 2:25 was this effect that underpinned the guitar sampling.

I was seriously impressed with that effect, and I was gonna suggest adding another thirty seconds of that effect with whatever guitar you could pull up.

If this is still something you could do, I would appreciate immensely!

And THAT's what we didn't complain about, lol.

Errgh. I can't believe I did that... Freakin' typical...

0:47-0:54 just makes me happy. It's awesome. The guitar at 1:35 is too sharp.

0:47-0:54 is a personal favorite too. Especially the gamEboy intro sound ^^ And yeah, I've dampened 1:35. Thanks for reminding me!

It would be teh smex but seriously, I doubt it's of a "yes" standard.

Somewhere between 2:20 and 2:25 was this effect that underpinned the guitar sampling.

I was seriously impressed with that effect, and I was gonna suggest adding another thirty seconds of that effect with whatever guitar you could pull up.

If this is still something you could do, I would appreciate immensely!

Wha?! I did!? Oh noes, I really hope I didn't get rid of it! Another 30 seconds? I would do another 80 years of it if you could tell me what exactly you mean. The siren noise? Or was it a guitar effect?

First off, guitar sample sounds very.. um.. strange lol.

Not sure I like it.

Sounds very midi like, dry, and realistic.

The drums don't sound brilliant either, but ok. Theres a lot of reverb on that snare.

I like the use of the nes sounds :D

Wow at 1.23 onwards tho. The arpeggiated synth is awesome, and the lead guitar sequencing is a LOT better, I like the legato bends on that.

Then back to the source :P

Well.

I like the arrangement, no problems there.

The problem is the sound samples at the moment, work on your guitar sequencing :D

Other than that, great, but I wouldn't submit it in its current form personally.

The guitar... it is too thin. If you can up the mids and lows in the EQ I think it might help a bit. It's really a bigger problem when it is naked rather than when it has the accompaniment, but fixing it will help the entire song.

Interesting choice of drums. At first the bass bothered me, but after a few listens they seemed to be just about right. The 'clicky' sound of the bass reminds me of something my brother's drummer did in his band - he added a metal bar to the head of his bass and used plastic beaters. It was neat, but this isn't as extreme (which is probably a good thing, here...).

Otherwise, it's great. I really like the chiptune pieces that are sprinkled throughout. The synthwork is very well done. This song is quite short; it leaves me wanting more. According to your comment, though, it doesn't look like you want to add length to this song :).

I'd make a few tweaks before subbing, but great job so far!

The arpeggiated synth is awesome, and the lead guitar sequencing is a LOT better, I like the legato bends on that.

There was a huge experience curve with making this song and I really think alot of the shoddy guitar work was just from being a complete nub. I'll go back and rework all that now. Actually, thanks very much, I never thought about all that.

The drums don't sound brilliant either, but ok. Theres a lot of reverb on that snare.

Yeah, again, learning curve. I think I'll gut the song out, and rework it over. Yeah, really not gunna submit it now. I guess I'd just got a lil' fed up of it for a bit, I like it again now so should be 'kay ^^

The guitar... it is too thin. If you can up the mids and lows in the EQ I think it might help a bit. It's really a bigger problem when it is naked rather than when it has the accompaniment, but fixing it will help the entire song.

Yeah, it just sounds really messy with the lower freq. up on the lead- however I know exactly what you mean (yeah, lots 'n' lots more realistic)

Interesting choice of drums.

Urm... Yah. I'll, urm, work on it.

This song is quite short; it leaves me wanting more. According to your comment, though, it doesn't look like you want to add length to this song :).

Don't exactly feel like it... I'm a lil' outta ideas (and very busy) however if I come across something incredible I'll easily extend it. Thanks very much! ^^

• 1 month later...

I think this mix is terrific. I'm ignorant of the technical stuff - though the guitars do sound different they don't bother me. The use of the Gameboy sounds is brilliant and make me smile every time. I like making mix CDs for people and I've put this mix on a couple already.

I really like at 1:36, how the tone of the song completely changes with the piano and you hear the rock'n'chiptune stuff go underground. Then at 2:02 when the beeps come back in and the Tetris sounds at 2:09 - great way of bringing us back to the original tone that then wraps everything up quite nicely. :)

I really like this remix.

I think this mix is terrific. I'm ignorant of the technical stuff - though the guitars do sound different they don't bother me. The use of the Gameboy sounds is brilliant and make me smile every time. I like making mix CDs for people and I've put this mix on a couple already.

I really like at 1:36, how the tone of the song completely changes with the piano and you hear the rock'n'chiptune stuff go underground. Then at 2:02 when the beeps come back in and the Tetris sounds at 2:09 - great way of bringing us back to the original tone that then wraps everything up quite nicely. :)

I really like this remix.

Hey! Thanks very much! One of the best responses I've got to this! ^^ I guess it was the guitars in the end that made me kinda give up on the mix (*sob*), however very glad y'like it! As for the "mix CDs" and everything! Awesome! Heh. Guess I kinda forgot about this mix after all this time... Glad you like it!

First off, I've got to point out that the guitar sounds really sequenced - not nearly as organic as what you'd expect from the real instrument being played. But that really only strikes me at first - by the time we get to that cool bendy synth at 1:49 I've forgotten about it.

The drums are a little iffy - they also seems a little too obviously programmed, as far as consistent note velocity and those incredibly fast triplet kicks go. I know, there are crazy drummers who can pull that off in real life, but there's something to be said for the value of introducing just a bit of artificial variation, just so it doesn't sound like it was so obviously made on a computer, you know? I don't claim to be an expert on that myself, but it's worth playing around with, just to see if you can introduce that variety that helps people hear it as a little more organic.

The sound effects sampled in are cleverly used - I love the little breaks at :22, and the little sequence at :58, and the chiptune section at 1:15 - actually, all in all there are a lot of brief 'break it down!' moments, which is refreshing, and provides a much-needed break from that grinding guitar.

Yeah, listening to it for the third or fourth time, I'm so relieved once I make it through the first minute - up until then, that constant guitar is kind of harsh, and the spacey section at 1:36 is a total relief. I'm not sure if there's much you can do about that (and besides, heavy guitar like that isn't really where my musical interest usually lies) but if there's any way to lighten that up - more breaks, a few more diversions into different sounds, just at the end of every other phrase, or something, that breathing room would be appreciated, I'm sure.

Yeah, this is pretty close to being perfected, it sounds like - the last tweaks are the hardest, but it seems like this'll be a sound submission when you're through!

Okay, I never expected this thread to be commented on again at all, I deemed this song as, officially, dead. I guess the reason is the Slayer Guitars really do suck hard and no matter what I do they still sound, well, lame.

I was thinking about it and if anyone feels like collabing with me and recording/synthesizing a really decent guitar part (or anything you think it needs really), please let me know (PM me). At the moment, I've got tonnes of positive feedback for the mix (thanks @ those guys!) but it'll never get anywhere cuz of the guitars really.

If not, I'll deem this as officially dead and get back to making Pokémanz mixes. ^^