Mirror's Edge remix contest! VOTE for nervous_testpilot!

Liontamer

Hey guys, Paul "nervous_testpilot" Taylor, friend of Binster, richBRF and A Scholar & A Physician, mailed for some support on this Mirror's Edge remix contest:

Still Alive by Lisa Miskovsky - Mirror's Edge Contest Entry

mirrorsedge.jpg

I don't normally enter remix contests but I was really taken with Lisa Miskovsky's "Still Alive" from Mirror's Edge, so I decided to give this one a shot.

The track is free to download. It's available under a Creative Commons 2.0 Attribution license.

I really want to get my music some wider attention - the top 25 mixes get in this contest get in front of a panel of EA audio people, and I would love to be in that group.

Because my aim is to get my music out there, rather than win the contest for the sake of it, I've decided that, if I win the prize, I'll donate it to Child's Play.

I would love it if you could vote for me. You have to go through a slightly annoying process to do so, but it won't take very long:

1. Sign up for a Jamglue account here.

2. Log in to your account.

3. Go to my mix, "Persistence", and make it a Favourite. The Favourite button is just above the player. Then you'll have voted for me.

4. Tell all your friends to do the same.

I would really appreciate five minutes of your time to help me get into that group of 25, and promote my music to the games industry.

Freakin' tight stuff. Any chance of an OCR edit?

Already mentioned to Paul that it's outside of the submission standards. He'd have to make the music arrange the source (which it generally doesn't). Right now the only connection to the source tune is the vocals directly sampled from the original, which is also a no-go. Great remix, just not a ReMix.

Thanks *so much* for all the nice comments, guys! Didn't know there were people around here who know my really old stuff, that's amazing. I'll definitely keep everyone here posted when I do new stuff.

I know "favouriting" the mix is a bit annoying (thanks Jamglue) but I really need to keep the votes coming. I'm 7 votes behind the guy in front, so if you like the mix and you have some time free to support me, please get your mates to register on Jamglue and drop me a favourite. Big thanks to everyone who has done this already.

I was considering doing a more DJ-able edit of the Still Alive mix, probably two versions, one with a beat intro, and an "Intro Mix" with just a beat outro. Any takers?

I posted a link to this on Lisa Miskovsky's own site - she's brilliant with her fans and reads pretty much every forum post, but for some reason she couldn't get my link to work, apparently - gah! Anyway, I will keep harassing her as getting her to endorse the remix would be awesome.

If anyone has any ideas for promoting the mix also, that'd be cool. I have a Youtoooob video here which I'm trying to get more views on - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=UcZME06Msww

Thanks *so much* for all the nice comments, guys! Didn't know there were people around here who know my really old stuff, that's amazing. I'll definitely keep everyone here posted when I do new stuff.

I remember finding your song "Hello Daddy" by chance like 5 years ago and I still love it :wink:

I'm sorry to say I haven't heard anything else until now, but it's cool to hear your various styles.

I was considering doing a more DJ-able edit of the Still Alive mix, probably two versions, one with a beat intro, and an "Intro Mix" with just a beat outro. Any takers?

Yes'm! :pretzel:

If anyone has any ideas for promoting the mix also, that'd be cool. I have a Youtoooob video here which I'm trying to get more views on - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=UcZME06Msww

twitter maybe?

Yes'm! :pretzel:

After much debate with myself, I am actually leaning towards not playlisting this. Club mixes that have that intense "soundtrack" break with the strings that you'd typically hear in some generic action movie trailer are a huge turn off for me. Everything else is pretty good... I just can't find myself to play this in a set just yet.

I hope you win though.

(Yea, I'm a jerk when it comes to electronic dance music)

Already mentioned to Paul that it's outside of the submission standards. He'd have to make the music arrange the source (which it generally doesn't). Right now the only connection to the source tune is the vocals directly sampled from the original, which is also a no-go. Great remix, just not a ReMix.

I thought that was to avoid legal problems? If the a capella is made publicly available that shouldn't be an issue. As for a connection, I'd say that the chord progression, structure, and rhythms are pretty tailored to this particular song...it wouldn't fit just any random techno melody with the same chords. It's got the same components as any other liberal arrangement, i.e. practically original background with altered but recognizable lead melody. Also there have been cases on the opposite end of the spectrum - relatively conservative arrangements with mostly unconnected vocals (e.g. some of StarBlast's tracks) - so if using original vocals qualifies as arrangement I don't see why the same can't be applied to original backgrounds.

I thought that was to avoid legal problems? If the a capella is made publicly available that shouldn't be an issue. As for a connection, I'd say that the chord progression, structure, and rhythms are pretty tailored to this particular song...it wouldn't fit just any random techno melody with the same chords. It's got the same components as any other liberal arrangement, i.e. practically original background with altered but recognizable lead melody. Also there have been cases on the opposite end of the spectrum - relatively conservative arrangements with mostly unconnected vocals (e.g. some of StarBlast's tracks) - so if using original vocals qualifies as arrangement I don't see why the same can't be applied to original backgrounds.

Limiting direct sampling isn't strictly to avoid legal problems, it stressing that the most critical parts of source usage and interpretation have to be built from the ground up, not sampled. In this case, most of the connection to the source track is the vocals, not the music, which was mostly (not completely) unconnected to the source melodies. Taking an a capella and structuring a brand new original song around it that fits like a glove is outside the scope of what we're aiming to do. That doesn't make it bad music (wouldn't be pimping it if it did), it just means it wouldn't be posted.

Ha ha, didn't mean this to get political. Just wanted to add that I'm totally happy with the decision to not make this an official OCR mix. I will say, though, that I guess with more soundtracks becoming very remixable in a more traditional sense (grabbing a vocal or a stem etc and re-working it), it may be a good idea for you guys to look at those rules again.

But, yeah, again - MANY thanks to Liontamer for pointing out your current rules BUT STILL agreeing to give me some really great support. That's exactly how it should be if you have tough rules in a community but you still want to pimp stuff you like - OCR has kept its uniqueness and standards for many years by having strict rules and that should be appreciated.

After much debate with myself, I am actually leaning towards not playlisting this. Club mixes that have that intense "soundtrack" break with the strings that you'd typically hear in some generic action movie trailer are a huge turn off for me.

I absolutely, totally agree with you (apart from the "some generic action movie trailer" part, but we'll let that slide - see how many 16th note kick drum fills you normally hear in those - aaaand sliding...). I want to play this track live and I'm a tad scared of people leaving when it gets to that part, so there may well be a fully electronic version at some point.

Would love some more votes, guys (thanks to those who have done so already!). I am still struggling to break out of position 7 or 8 despite some hard work on promoting the thing. Twitter is a good idea - I do have a Twitter feed on my site...which I should really use more. But yeah, if you have friends who would like the mix, please send them the link and ask them to vote.

And someone's actually heard Hello Daddy. That's even more amazing. I should DEFINITELY not be doing this, but you can still get that from my site - http://www.nervoustestpilot.co.uk/hellodaddy.mp3 Er...consider that a special present.

DISCLAIMER: The above track is extremely old and extremely disturbing in equal measure.