Kirby: Canvas Curse - "Winter in Dreamland" WIP

halc

Very abrupt ending, yes, but WOW. That was seriously good stuff. The minor, electronic interpretation was great, and the pacing wasted no time getting to the sweeping melody. Love all the stuff and layers happening here. I wish I could say more, but I have no complaints. Just make it longer!

My think is good - I still love it. Towards the end is does feel as if it goes on a bit too long without a specific melody in mind. Also if you're going to do a second go-round of the melody, I suggest adding in another piece of tambre, maybe not electronic? (string?) Sorry if that sounds contradictory to the work, but you have so much electronica in there, which is great, but I can't imagine how you would pull off a second time while still keeping it dynamic enough. Anyway, that's just IF. I still think it's great, and I'm glad you're still working on it :] Nice job.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, this. Better with every listen... it still takes a few listens to open my heart to the chiptunness I guess. After several more listens than I had last night, I think you did balance the blantantly chippy sounds with other instruments (or less-blatantly chippy sounds, whatev). Some sections are a bit too chippy for my taste, but there's still a good balance so I'm always enjoying it.

Through 2:22 is awesomeness. The progressive buildup is money, almost gives me chills. Can't tell where you're going to take this... look forward to hearing it though.

I had to wikipedia time signatures again...

2:22 was awesome, and all I can hear now is maybe a tiny bit more of Green greens, then figure out some way to tie both the Rainbow resort and the Green Green themes together, maybe ending with one of the victory fanfares and just cutting off

Nice work, all in all, can't wait to hear the finished product

This is a really creative take on Kirby, and in my opinion it's OCR worthly. I love the blend of 8Bit and more recent synths, and it's the kind of remix I'd like to hear in a newer game. The glitchy synths/drums are well programmed and are really interesting to listen to.

I have to agree the ending is abrupt, but you can fix that pretty easily. One other thing is regarding your panning. The 8bit drums sound mostly centre panned, and I was wondering if you could test out a spatializing plug somewhere in the mix to make them more stereo, so they're not always focused in one place. It's still a personal preference though, so if it doesn't work that's cool.

Good work!