Images from the new STREET FIGHTER movie

Nekofrog

Has there EVER been a movie based on a game that was actually true to the game? It seems it's successful for the comic book movies which generally keep the same story and characters, so why do the writers for video game movies always just take the title and go on their own tangent? Why even bother making a movie based on something you don't even come close to representing?

Really though, if you look at Chun Li in comparison to the other characters, she's impossibly tall for a genetically 100% Chinese girl. I mean it's nitpicky, but she's almost as tall as Guile, Ken and Ryu while squatting in her ready position. Just thought I'd point that out.

I dunno, some of the relatives of my moms partner are pretty damn tall...although you're right most Chinese (or Asian girls really) are...short...

My mom used to have legs like Chun Li...then she threw out her knee during a tournament so she isn't as hardcore anymore, she could still pwn a man many times larger than herself though...

Has there EVER been a movie based on a game that was actually true to the game? It seems it's successful for the comic book movies which generally keep the same story and characters, so why do the writers for video game movies always just take the title and go on their own tangent? Why even bother making a movie based on something you don't even come close to representing?

I'm not sure if it's really possible, given how different the video game and film media are from one another. But it is something weird about video game-based movies where directors seem to feel free to go off in a totally different direction, whereas at least with comic book-based movies, there's always at least some touchpoints with similar characters and events.

Maybe it seems like such an arduous task to have some similarity to the game's story while still making a coherent movie that directors just go "f*#@ it, we'll just rewrite everything from scratch"? KF

• 1 month later...
Am I the only one that kind of liked the Street Fighter movie with Raul Julia?

...ok, yeah, it's ridiculously cheesy, but still... It did prove that Raul Julia can make even the crappiest lines sound good.

I didn't mind Ryu/Ken being relegated to side characters in that one. I was more upset by Dhalsim's treatment... The one Indian character from my youth who could kick ass gets turned from a superpowered fighter into a pacifist scientist.

Hey, I enjoyed it. It was cheesy, and honestly, I think some of it was purposefully campy. I mean some of Zangeif's lines, like, "Change the Channel" were just priceless.

I have to admit, the guy who played Sagat was a perfect choice (he was the Indian that sold out the British troops, and later gets slammed by an ax across the arm, and I think the head too), he had his look down pat. Too bad he didn't really fight in it.

Not too mention Kyle Minogue as Cammy, not too shabby. Or Ming Na (she looks better than she did in that movie).

In regards to the new movie. You can either see it or not. It doesn't really matter. Chances are this movie's gonna tank anyhow. Most game to movie transitions don't go over well.

But if you just see it without comparing it to the games so much, you might enjoy it as a film. Just like I do with the Super Mario Bros. Movie.

But I totally understand what Nekofrog is talking about in this topic.

when it all comes down to it, is this movie an exploited money maker or are they doing this story because they want to create a piece of creative art? Iron Man could easily have been a horrible movie that everyone went to see because it's a "marvel" comic book with special effects just to make some dough. But people like Jon Favreau, Robert Downey Jr and Gwyneth Paltrow handled the film well and breathed creative life into it. Same with the Dark Knight, V for Vendetta etc...

It's possible to do a good job with a game to movie adaptation, but most at this stage are just franchise money makers, and not taken seriously yet. And I'm sure the budget will say it all. I bet this thing has a pretty low budget, and how big the budget is, is how much the studio believes in the film, really, in the end to make money, but if you can make a movie with a low budget yet rake in 5 times the amount it cost to make mainly on franchise alone then we're all a bunch o flippin suckers throwing our money at money sucking Hollywood. I personally don't get the whole game to movie adaptation, most games I love have crappy stories that are just there to back up the incredible gameplay. None of us fell in love with Street Fighter 2's storyline first, it was all about gameplay, if it wasn't for that we would all care less about the story, although they could do wonders with a Ryu based movie. Hell if I know why they chose Chun Li, I'm not all that interested in her backstory, never realy was but put into the right hands and done right using the right resources (budget) there could be a good movie out of this, but I doubt that'll happen here.

The worst part about this is Kristen Kruek. I can deal with poor scripts, variations in storyline, and differences in art direction... but if they don't get the characters right, it's over.

Not only is she one of the most god-awful mainstream actresses I've seen this side of a soap-opera (though smallville does come close at times), but she also looks and acts nothing like the Chun-Li character. And out of all the popular martial arts actresses out there, they still couldn't pick anyone better? It's not like CHun-Li is a very unique or deep character to pull off. As best I can tell, it seems like they casted her on money-making celebrity status alone. May as well have picked Paris Hilton or Sarah Jessica Parker.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but this is probably a worse casting decision than putting Mila Kunis in Max Payne.

Really though, if you look at Chun Li in comparison to the other characters, she's impossibly tall for a genetically 100% Chinese girl. I mean it's nitpicky, but she's almost as tall as Guile, Ken and Ryu while squatting in her ready position. Just thought I'd point that out.

Sorry to double post, but my ex was 2 inches shorter than me, so if she wore heels she'd actually be taller.

I'm 6 feet tall. Average, I suppose, but that's tall for asian.

• 2 weeks later...

Why are you guys whining so much? Pardon my french, please.

There will be not a *single* video game movie which would be perfect, if we had our way.

For the thighs part, how about a guy with fake b**bies? I guess this should answer the actress being Chinese.

At least I am going to watch it.

• 1 month later...

What makes me mad is going back to what some of you touched on earlier about how almost all video game based movies are made really, really poorly...

Uwe Boll, who is notorious for making bad video game adaptations, admitted, without any sense of guilt, that he never plays video games. He makes movies based on them because it is easy to sell a film with a name that is already recognized. Basically, its an easy cash in.

How could you make a movie that related closely to a game which you never played. Isn't that like making a movie from a book, but only reading the cliff notes? (Although I've written some damn good papers that way...lol)

The way he said it too (wish I still had the youtube clip bookmarked) was almost condescending, like "I never play video games" was like saying "I don't waste my time with something so worthless". It seemed as if he made sure to get that line in, so that other important people wouldn't think that he actually *gasp* played the games he made movies about.

I'm sure most video game-to-movie directors are of the same type.