REASON - Please Direct Reason questions here

Devvyn

I've had Reason a few months but never really used it, or even got into the whole composing thing, so here I am giving it a go. I've had a flick through the patches but can't really find a nice Piano one. I want one that sounds like a Yamaha Clavinova, sustained notes, rich tone etc. Anyone specify a particular patch or tell me how to fiddle with the settings to achieve the desired effects.

Thanks in advance,

Fox :)

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering if there was a formula for determining exact semi-tones using the pitch wheel. Also, what would I have to set the range to in order to have 1/3 bend be a semitone, 2/3 be a full tone, and a full bend be 1 1/2 tones above the note? It just makes shit funkier.

• 2 weeks later...

What would be the best procedure to simulate a double bass-drum, as used in metal songs?

I'm guessing loading up 2 slightly different bass drum samples, panning them both really slightly to either side, and set the rhythm so they alternate each other, should work, but I might be wrong. Has anyone ever done something similar in reason before?

What would be the best procedure to simulate a double bass-drum, as used in metal songs?

I'm guessing loading up 2 slightly different bass drum samples, panning them both really slightly to either side, and set the rhythm so they alternate each other, should work, but I might be wrong. Has anyone ever done something similar in reason before?

i just play it faster. maybe you don't really know what double bass is - it's just two beaters striking the same drum. maybe make the second stroke of each two-group slightly lower in velocity, but i usually just do the rhythm and don't really change anything. you don't even need two samples. just do the right rhythm on the kickdrum sample and you'll be fine. because of the nature of a normal double-bass setup, there's no real difference in each strike at all.

i just play it faster. maybe you don't really know what double bass is - it's just two beaters striking the same drum. maybe make the second stroke of each two-group slightly lower in velocity, but i usually just do the rhythm and don't really change anything. you don't even need two samples. just do the right rhythm on the kickdrum sample and you'll be fine. because of the nature of a normal double-bass setup, there's no real difference in each strike at all.

Well I do know that usually it's two beaters and one drum, but I thought generally bands who have the money for it really use 2 bass-drums, rather than one with 2 pedals, but I suppose you're right

Well I do know that usually it's two beaters and one drum, but I thought generally bands who have the money for it really use 2 bass-drums, rather than one with 2 pedals, but I suppose you're right

big9611DC-DB.jpg

as you can see, you couldn't have two bass drums.

usually, the second pedal is over by the high-hat.

i've never seen a second bass drum that was used at all, really - i've seen one with no head being used as a rack for more toms/cymbals, but that's it.

I was wondering if there was a formula for determining exact semi-tones using the pitch wheel. Also, what would I have to set the range to in order to have 1/3 bend be a semitone, 2/3 be a full tone, and a full bend be 1 1/2 tones above the note? It just makes shit funkier.

yeah. use your ear. compare a note that IS a half-step higher to one that's been 'adjusted'. now, in reason, you can't change the range of the pitch wheel. FL lets you do that, but not reason.

I've had Reason a few months but never really used it, or even got into the whole composing thing, so here I am giving it a go. I've had a flick through the patches but can't really find a nice Piano one. I want one that sounds like a Yamaha Clavinova, sustained notes, rich tone etc. Anyone specify a particular patch or tell me how to fiddle with the settings to achieve the desired effects.

Thanks in advance,

Fox :)

don't sign your posts. your username/sig does that.

there's several really good clavinova sf's out there. however, most good piano soundfonts will have that - check out the usual suspects (hammersound, etc). i find that the 'grand piano' thing in the NN-XT bank actually works pretty darn well. it's got so many samples that really allow it to be used like a real piano.

your best bet is going to be to use the nnxt or the nn19 and find a one shot sample on the internet and do the arrangement from there.

this is a great way to get a shitty piano sound. too many mixers do stuff like this, which is why their mixes get rejected constantly. if you're gonna take the time to make a good arrangement, don't use shitty samples.

This Image

sfdrumco_dual_28_kit_sml.jpg

As well as Wikipedia

Although a double pedal will help conserve space, drum resonance is affected by having two beaters playing one drum which is why many drummers, particularly, nearly all of the well-known practitioners, will opt for the classic two bass drum setup

think you're wrong ;)

anyway I don't want to turn this into an argument, I figure the way you said will be the easiest way to simulate a double bassdrum. :D

You don't edit midis in Reason, though you can import midi data [right? lol]

You do need a keyboard if you want to save hours and hours of your time. Clicking in notes with your mouse isn't very practical.

but entirely possible. every song i made up until like 2005 was done by manually entering notes by mouse (with the exception of guitar of course). however i have a keyboard now, and it definitely comes in handy (especially for tracking).

You don't edit midis in Reason, though you can import midi data [right? lol]

You do need a keyboard if you want to save hours and hours of your time. Clicking in notes with your mouse isn't very practical.

but entirely possible. every song i made up until like 2005 was done by manually entering notes by mouse (with the exception of guitar of course). however i have a keyboard now, and it definitely comes in handy (especially for tracking).

i write my classical stuff in Finale 2003, then dump it in. everything else i click in by hand. it's not THAT time consuming, you just need to be detailed to make sure that everything doesn't have the same velocity =)

Im sorry if this has been asked before but I have a few questions. How do you make tempo changes throughout the song? How do you do crescendos and decrescendos? How do you make reason reflect a time signature change?

well, if you looked in the help file included with reason, you'd know you can't do a time signature change during a song. or do time changes.

as for crescendos and decrescendos, you just have to use the envelope function in the sequencer. just select the volume function and adjust it.

You can't within Reason. You're going to have to export as a WAV and open that up in some program, like Winamp, to see its length in seconds.

The Reason sequencer is fairly basic and doesn't have any built in concept of time. It just recognizes the "now" position of the playback.. bar, for lack of a better term, and moves it along at a speed determined by the song tempo, and plays notes and follows automation data as it encouters them.

Time, in the sense of seconds and minutes, I should specify. AFAIK, it treats beats and bars as locations in the sequencer as opposed to divisions of time. But this all is basically speculation on my part based on the sequencing capabilities available to the user.

I really hope they include tempo automation in the next version. This has been a main issue for reason since ever and seems like the engine it's based on does not permit this, or ANY KIND or tempo-related automation(switch the delay time in a delay machine while the song is playing to see what I mean). It seems like with the current engine it's not possible and they will have to make an overhaul of the system to allow for that. I really hope reason 3.1 or whatever comes next brings a new engine that allows this, because really, most music programs, even the lamer and simplest allow this feature.

While automating the tempo in Sonar or whatever does at least allow you to automate the tempo, you do still get some crazy ass shit coming out of the delay unit. Solution - don't use the delay unit! Or get it to shut while you are changing tempo. Or just use that shit, man. USE IT.

Ok, im back with another question.

How do i get the time of the song in seconds in reason?

In Reason 3 (don't know about 2), you can save your song, and then open the browser and look for the song you just saved. If you highlight it, it'll then tell you the length of the song.

Oh cool, I wasn't (consciously) aware of that.