REASON - Please Direct Reason questions here

Devvyn

Can you save or export a song as an mp3???? It seems like you should, but... is aif an mp3 format or something?

No, you can't export to MP3. AIFF is not a compressed audio format, like MP3, but rather a lossless format used on Macs as a parallel to WAV. As far as I am aware, there is no significant difference between WAV and AIFF, though you would probably find slightly greater compatability using WAV files than AIFF files. As time goes on, that too will disappear with the continued development of multiple-format samplers and synths.

It's better to only be able to export to WAV/AIFF anyway, since you have greater options. You could encode as an MP3 using any one of numerous encoders, or OGG, or FLAC, or AAC, or WMA, or whatever. My suggestion is pick up dbPowerAmp music converter and grab a bunch of plugins for it. If you know what you're doing, you can encode better-sounding MP3s with it than default encoding schemes of other audio programs like FL.

I have a question; how can I make the Orkester marcato violins sound sharper? They sound sort of soft and warm, not edgy and bright like they should. Is there a particular way I should EQ or apply reverb to make them more substantial?
When I want more edge from the strings in Orkester, I usually run the sampler through a PEQ (or whatever the 2 band parametric EQ is called again), put the frequency to the highest it will go, make the resonance/q as low as it will go, and boost to taste.

I have a question about Reason.

I understand that Reason has no audio track capabilities... it's completely MIDI (unlike Cakewalk which does MIDI and audio tracks). So with that I'm wondering how you would incorporate song-length audio (say, a recorded guitar track) into a song you were making partially with Reason.

Is it reasonable to load, for example, a three minute long .wav of a guitar track as a sample in Reason's sampler, and play it the whole way through? Is that possible? If so, is it a decent idea, or will that be extremely awkward/unmanageable?

The only other method I can think of would be to downmix all your Reason tracks and then combine that with other audio tracks in another program. (Or export each Reason track individually, if you can do that.... can you??)

Well? :)

Either of those ideas would work fine. Another possibility is what I typically use. I found a copy of Recycle Lite, a version that lets you save as .rcy, which is good enough to load into the Dr Rex and individual slices into the various sample loading machines. It's not warez, it came with my Soundblaster along with Cubasis and WaveLab Lite. See if you can find a copy of that on the cheap or free.

I understand that Reason has no audio track capabilities... it's completely MIDI (unlike Cakewalk which does MIDI and audio tracks). So with that I'm wondering how you would incorporate song-length audio (say, a recorded guitar track) into a song you were making partially with Reason.

Is it reasonable to load, for example, a three minute long .wav of a guitar track as a sample in Reason's sampler, and play it the whole way through? Is that possible? If so, is it a decent idea, or will that be extremely awkward/unmanageable?

The only other method I can think of would be to downmix all your Reason tracks and then combine that with other audio tracks in another program. (Or export each Reason track individually, if you can do that.... can you??)

Yeah I use both of those methods. The only problem with loading a very long sample into reason is that you have to start at the beginning of the song each time you want to hear it.

The second idea is much better, and essential when you want to add vocals. Just solo out an instrument on the mixer, and then export. Continue soloing tracks and repeat.

I've got a problem with recording :cry:

Ok guys,I've got an amen break on the Redrum machine and i want to use LP filters on it :roll:

I push the rec button,i push play,i use the filters,when I've finished I push stop, and I rewind the song to hear if it worked... :roll: Nothing!!!

The recording hasn't automatized the Lp filter!

What can I do?!

If it's the filter effects box that you're using, you have to create a new sequencer track and assign it to the filter, then record in that track. Your manual should tell you how to assign empty seq tracks to effects.

yes,but the stuff that i need to filter is a breakbeat in .wav format which plays in the redrum! :cry:

I try to record the filters but nothing...

Ok, I'm not quite sure how to explain this too well, but here goes: How do you make the effect where someone is singing or something and it cuts out and in, sort of like a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a. I've tried to dip the volume modulation down and up real quick, but it echoes a bit and doesn't give the desired effect. BT does this a ton with the vocals in his music and it sounds bad-ass. Any help would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
Download this:http://www.peff.com/reason/download/rps/gatinns.zip. It's an example Reason file from Peff.com showing you how to do "gating", the term for what you're talking about.

The way he described it is definitely gating, but what BT does more than gating actually is stutter edits.

This is actually taking a section of the audio and repeating it really quickly. Its not very handy or easy to do with Reason. You'd have to take the audio file into another audio editor, cut and save the portion of the audio you want to stutter, load it into reason with a sampler, then make the stutter pattern. Its a bit easier with a sequencer like Sonar or Cubase that runs audio better.

Yeah I use both of those methods. The only problem with loading a very long sample into reason is that you have to start at the beginning of the song each time you want to hear it.

The second idea is much better, and essential when you want to add vocals. Just solo out an instrument on the mixer, and then export. Continue soloing tracks and repeat.

Sorry that I am bringing this up again and also that I could not understand this fully the first time it was resolved, but I was hoping someone could break this down for me with more specifics. I want to get about a 4 minute guitar recording onto Reason so that I can mess around with other instruments, effects, etc. So what I understand is that I have to first make all the accompaniment in Reason, then record all the tracks as individual mp3s. After that, I'm confused about how to put them all together? Should I/can I use Cubase to import the individual mp3 tracks on top of the guitar audio recording? I still don't understand how I would sequence the accompaniment effectively because I would still have to use the midi trigger of the sound wave in Reason to find at what point in the song I want specific drumwork, orchestration, etc. so how does compiling everything into Cubase or any other program help?

Sorry if I am missing something very elementary here, but I have never tried integrating any external audio devices before, and thanks for any help I can get.

SirRus:

Make all your accompaniment in reason. Export each track as wav files or mp3 files (whatever... but if you care about sound quality, go wav). Load those tracks into Cubase or whatever you use for multitrack audio. Make sure the accomaniment tracks are lined up. Then play those tracks. As they are playing, play along with your guitar, and record your guitar as yet another audio track (you can probably do this right in Cubase).

It sounds like you're trying to match up accompaniment with the guitar (and not the other way around).That'll be mighty tricky, especially if you record that guitar without anything, including a metronome.

If you want, sequence the notes of your guitar solo in Reason along with the rest of the tracks, so you have a good idea of what you'll be playing on your guitar. In Cubase, replace the sequenced guitar track with the recorded one.

Thanks Tossy that makes a lot of sense now, I was looking at it in the totally opposite direction.

Just wondering, what is the benfits of using Cubase Rewired with Reason other than just tempo changes. What exactly is the true power of Cubase that would make someone want to go through the trouble of having these two programs linked together? The tempo automation is a good one, but that is the only thing I know of, perhaps adding VST's which Reason cannot do either, but in general, why is Rewire such a "cool" thing?