REASON - Please Direct Reason questions here

Devvyn

Wah! I totally overlooked that question. The easiest thing you can do is what Arcana mentioned. Copy and paste can be wierd in Reason at times though. If you copied a sequencer track and then tried to paste it on the track below it'll usually just paste it back to the track you copied it from. I've had to copy the track, drag the original down to the line I wanted to paste to, and then paste the original back on the line I copied from. Retarded? Yes.

As for controlling multiple modules with your MIDI controller I'm still trying to figure that out myself. There may be a way to do it with the extra MIDI busses and possibly remote keyboard/MIDI mapping, but I haven't gotten into that stuff yet. I used to run multiple controllers on single modules though. My main controller for keys, and a MIDI data box to control all of the module settings.

I'll see if I can mess around with things a bit more sometime to try and figure these things out. I was experimenting a little while ago with using a Matrix sequencer to feed a CV splitter which would it turn send control signals to multiple modules. It worked in the sense that the Matrix would operate them when the Matrix itself was programmed, but when I tried to program a keylane for the Matrix it wouldn't trigger. I may mess with that more later.

As for controlling multiple modules with your MIDI controller I'm still trying to figure that out myself. There may be a way to do it with the extra MIDI busses and possibly remote keyboard/MIDI mapping, but I haven't gotten into that stuff yet. I used to run multiple controllers on single modules though. My main controller for keys, and a MIDI data box to control all of the module settings.

This is a new feature of 3.0 I think. I know at least I read that you can split the keyboard in half and control two machines that way. I'm not sure about knob and slider controls though.

With 2.5, you might be able to achieve this by using new midi drivers such as midi yoke or midiOX. They are midi port routing applications. I'm not experienced with them, so don't ask me how to use em :). google them.

Beta 3: Hush, hush... we're not supposed to talk about it. :) In Reason 3.0, you can assign the Combinator's 4 knobs and 4 buttons to different devices inside it. I think you can also split the keylanes this way, too, but I haven't tried it. Overall it makes doing things live a lot easier.

Why the Combinator lacks faders though totally eludes me. I think it's an artifact of Reason's interface. Ideally, you should be able to make your own combinator interface with as many knobs, sliders, buttons, and key lanes as you wanted!

As for Copy & Paste in Reason - there's also the "Duplicate Track" option if you right-click on a track. A bit easier than drag and drop.

Yeah, I figured out the kind of hackish way of basically just duplicating a sequencer track and switching the module. That'll definitely work for sequencing. But the reason I thought of doing this is to get a fatter, more surrounding sound. Usually when I'm doing that I'm just playing with the keyboard a little.... but getting that to work with MIDI sounds pretty complex. Thanks for the input so far.

Speaking of MIDI, is there a way to remove a MIDI map? I map a knob, then want to reassign the assigned knob on my controller to a different knob in Reason, but when I try to do that the knob ends up controlling multiple knobs. That sounds a little confusing.. basically I just want to remove an assigned knob and the option to do that won't let me.

I think I remember how to adjust the mapping issues, but I don't have time to open Reason right now as I gotta make a trip back to my parent's house for tonight and won't have my workstation.

However, if you want a fatter sound, try sticking a Unison module on whatever synth you're using. The results won't always be good, but you can get some real phat sounds with it at times. Just mess with the detune a bit as well as the other settings. Fun stuff. Stick it on a piano patch and you'll have old timey piano fun!

However, if you want a fatter sound, try sticking a Unison module on whatever synth you're using. The results won't always be good, but you can get some real phat sounds with it at times. Just mess with the detune a bit as well as the other settings. Fun stuff. Stick it on a piano patch and you'll have old timey piano fun!

Yea, the Unison is supposed to make whatever going through it sound like several instruments at once. I find usually that it doesn't work so well with acoustic instruments, or stuff you want to sound real. You can make some awesomely phat synths and stuff with it though.

I have a technical Reason question!

I often use the mouse in the sequencer to lay out triads. However, when I do this, all of the velocities are the same, and that's really dull and boring, so I want to change them.

But in the velocity lane, it shows the three notes in the one lane, and when you use the Pencil to draw in the velocity, it changes ALL THREE notes. I can't change the velocity of one note at a time unless I drag one note away, change it, and drag it back. This is a total pain and I hate it.

Is there any better way to adjust the individual velocities?

Thanks!

Off-topic P.S. Is anyone here beta-testing Reason 3?

Dam... I wish I had been here when this was posted. I still can't believe SGX doesn't know this! Here's how you do it:

STEP UNO: Select

STEP DOS: Hold shift

STEP TRAISIAS(sp): Drag with pencil or line tool.

Lets try this again people!

SELECT, HOLD SHIFT, DRAG!

AGAIN!

SELECT, HOLD SHIFT, DRAG!

Edit: You might want to fool around with the alt key. Pretty helpful! :wink:

Now I got a question! How do you quantize the LENGTH of a note? Right now the only way I know how to do this is to do one note at a time by lengthening or shortenting it on 1/16th setting or 1/8th setting, etc.

I've tried selecting all the notes at once and trying to get them the same length but it doesn't work. All it does is shortenes each one by the exact same amount so if one note is like longer than the other and you're shortening it down to the closest 16t.. and uhh, yeah. IT DOESN'T WORK!

Would exporting as midi and then quantizing it in a midi program work? Anyone know a midi program that could do that?

As for Argitoth's question, I've been trying to find out how to do that for a while, but in the end, i think its just easier to go in and change the notes individually.

Anyway, I have been trying to do this for so long and cant figure out how the hell i can do it. Does anyone know how to make the effect that BT, Hybrid and OS/2 use where it sounds like the whole song gets filtered and a Fwoosh sound engulfs the whole thing. I dont really know how to explain it, but its used in BTs Godspeed at 3:27. Hybrid does it a few times (I cant really remember in what songs). Any help is greatly appreciated.

ok this may be a stupid question but since I'm unable to do it, I need help.

I am using my midi keyboard to play the notes with Reason but I can't record what I'm playing. When I press the record button, it doesn't do anything. It doesn't had a new midi to the track I have selected.

I'm confused 8O

• 2 weeks later...

QUANTIZE NOTE LENGTH, HERE'S HOW

Note: These steps are only how to make each note the same length. Quantizing note length to the closest #/# is impossible with reason; but quantizing selected notes to the same length *IS* possible.

1. Select every note you want to make the same length

2. Drag their note length until your mouse is behind the note (so that the notes have the smallest possible length)

3. Now choose a time signature and snap it to grid (or not) and drag to any desired length.

Anyway, I have been trying to do this for so long and cant figure out how the hell i can do it. Does anyone know how to make the effect that BT, Hybrid and OS/2 use where it sounds like the whole song gets filtered and a Fwoosh sound engulfs the whole thing. I dont really know how to explain it, but its used in BTs Godspeed at 3:27. Hybrid does it a few times (I cant really remember in what songs). Any help is greatly appreciated.

Can you post a sample?

Not really, thats copyrighted material and I dont even have a place to host it even if I didnt care that it was copyrighted. I also cant show you my mock-up of it because i dont know how to do it. I wish i could explain it better...

Argitoth, why are you linking to a site that has nothing to do with reason? Id like to see the video, but it isnt on that page...

Can you post a sample?

Not really, thats copyrighted material and I dont even have a place to host it even if I didnt care that it was copyrighted. I also cant show you my mock-up of it because i dont know how to do it. I wish i could explain it better...

Argitoth, why are you linking to a site that has nothing to do with reason? Id like to see the video, but it isnt on that page...

There's nothing interesting going on at 3:27 in Godspeed in the version (off Movement in Still Life) I have. Maybe you have the radio edit or something.

There is an interesting effect a little before that during a buildup. Sounds like some mostly global phazing and then there's a woosh when the beat comes in. The shit BT does is is so damn complicated and rarely can you attribute an effect to one technique by itself.

The woosh I believe is made mostly of some really modified reverb. I kinda do stuff like this in my song Composer if you want to check it out. What I do in that song is have a reverb as a send effect off of the drums and do stuff like distort and phaze just the reverb. Gives it a real thick sound. Obviously you don't want that continual noise in the mix, just at kewl 'woosh' moments, so I automate the send to the reverb on the mixer. Bring it up right when you want the woosh, keep it down otherwise.

• 2 weeks later...

Happy Birthday :)

I'd like to get it too, but I probably won't leap at the opportunity. I'll bide my time and eventually get it. There are many things that make the whole music process simpler in Reason 3.0 that are really worth getting (like soloing channels on the Device sidebar of the sequencer and assigning your knobs to anything you want in the combinator!)