REASON - Please Direct Reason questions here

Devvyn

For those of you who might need some ideas on how the combinator works, or what things you can do with it, there's a new article on the Props web site about how to use it. It's a two-parter, so we only get to see part 1 for now.

http://www.propellerheads.se//home/discover/index.cfm?fuseaction=get_article&article=part14

People who hack around and end up making Really Cool Patches should post them here: http://www.ocremix.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=56356

Take care peeps,

Hey, people, first post here... ive gone through quite a bit of this sticky (not all, so sorry if there is already an answer)... one thing i'm wondering...

I'm mostly working with orchestral sounds on Reason 2 at the moment, and that going ok, except for the strings... i cant get them sounding realistic enough. I'm not sure how perfect i can get them in Reason alone (no hardware, no Cubase or other funky programs) At the moment, i use velocity changes and filter cut automation to make the sound flow a bit better, but its just not enough, in my opinion... If anyone has any suggestions at all on how to perfect it, it'd be much appreciated.

Oh, and i'm thinking of another program for notation, but i'd still want to hear a decent sound... At the moment i'm looking at Sebelius, but if anyone has had better experiences with somthing else, give a holla. Cheers!! cya

First up, thank you to peeps for the string realism advice, helped out substantially.

**EDIT*** Sorry people, just been reading through other topics/sticky's and will be posting this question somewhere else. Probably not the best place to post this kinda question.... ^^;; Sorry bout that...

I've got a hardware idea ...*DELETED*

---------------

"Wait, Yoshi lays eggs by eating things? Why isnt that island way over populated? I bet Mario harvests them and sells them as large turkeys..."

How can use the redrum computer to create my drum patterns and then choose which patterns I put where like I can easily with Fruity loop.

You don't. FL has the best and fastest drum sequencer around (the step sequencer) - I don't think it's even up for debate.

I didn't want a debate. I just found that it was a pain in the ass to sequence the drum using reason. I mean, I can switch pattern when using the redrum computer but to put those patterns on a track... It's quite weird. All I can do is "copy pattern to track" and this copy the patterns to the whole track...

How can use the redrum computer to create my drum patterns and then choose which patterns I put where like I can easily with Fruity loop.

You don't. FL has the best and fastest drum sequencer around (the step sequencer) - I don't think it's even up for debate.

I didn't want a debate. I just found that it was a pain in the ass to sequence the drum using reason. I mean, I can switch pattern when using the redrum computer but to put those patterns on a track... It's quite weird. All I can do is "copy pattern to track" and this copy the patterns to the whole track...

It copies the pattern to the track within the L and R loop points. So if you don't have these set, it will paste to the whole length of the song. You can do this with the Dr. Rex and Matrix also. I usually don't sequence using the ReDrum anyways, I just use the drum lane in the sequencer window.

Don't troll, please. This thread is for Reason help, not for inter-software arguments.

As for your question: To edit the different patterns on the Redrum, use the buttons 1-8 to switch through them, and A-D to change banks. To chain them together, go into edit mode, then select the yellow button in the sequencer toolbar (between the buttons for velocity and automation). Go to the yellow track that appears, and choose a pattern from the drop-down menu. Draw it in with the pencil. Keep going with different patterns until you have things written out the way you want.

I'm not trolling. I'm being completely serious. If this guy is used to the FL step sequencer, he's not going to find anything better, because FL is the only program with such an easy setup like that. I'm not saying FL is better than Reason, just answering the guy's question.

I'm not trolling. I'm being completely serious. If this guy is used to the FL step sequencer, he's not going to find anything better, because FL is the only program with such an easy setup like that. I'm not saying FL is better than Reason, just answering the guy's question.

But you didn't answer his question, which was "How do I copy the pattern in the Redrum to a track?" It could very well be that the guy used the demo of FLStudio and knows how it works, but decided instead to purchase Reason. I know FLStudio's step sequencer kicks major ass, but nonetheless he wanted to learn how to do something in Reason (and used FL as an example).

In any case, you can automate the Redrum in two ways... you can use the "Copy Pattern To Track" and it will paste the pattern into the sequencer between the L and R indicators. (From here, I usually like to edit things myself to make variations on drum loops).

You can also automate Pattern selection like Robocop Sex described with the pencil (you can also do it live by selecting the banks you want with the mouse).

I may as well extend the question a bit - does anyone know what the effect the Shuffle/Groove/User parameters have on the Redrum's patterns, versus copying to the track? For example, if I copy to track, does that mean I can no longer use the Shuffle feature, and would need to re-copy the track? (I'm presuming that this isn't a problem if you use Pattern-based automation).

You can also sequence the ReDrum with the Matrix....triiiiippy. Could be interesting...for those who like pattern automation. You can see several drum channels at once which you can't while sequencing on the ReDrum. You can also create a matrix curve for some type of drum parameter at the same time.

But you didn't answer his question, which was "How do I copy the pattern in the Redrum to a track?" It could very well be that the guy used the demo of FLStudio and knows how it works, but decided instead to purchase Reason. I know FLStudio's step sequencer kicks major ass, but nonetheless he wanted to learn how to do something in Reason (and used FL as an example).

Well, this is just what happened. Mostly, I use reason for the sampler and the subtractor. I usually do not need any drum at all! But I wanted to do a techno song... I know it is easier to do so with FL. I don't think he was trolling tought. He's a judge... He knows what he is saying after all but I admit it didn't answered my question!

Thanks to the others for having it answered.

I'm having troubles with my Midi-Keyboard being plugged into my computer.

I plug the keyboard in, and everything works fine. But when I go to record in Reason, there is a 32nd note delay from when I hit a key on the piano and when the note is actually played in reason. Since I usually play the Piano through an NN-XT, and turn down my keyboards volume, this makes it really weird to play, since you have to wait about 1/8th of a second before you hear the note play through Reason.

So I have 2 questions.

1. How can I get rid of this delay from Piano to Reason?

2. Is there a way to play the Reason Modules such as the NNXT through my keyboard, so I don't have to turn down my keyboards volume when I am playing through Reason?

1. How can I get rid of this delay from Piano to Reason?

I'm not quite sure, since i'm new at this also, but I believe that is an effect from your sound card. The sound card has a certain amount of latency, that amount influences the amount of delay you may experience. Low latency having less delay. I have the same problem, since i'm running a Sound Blaster Audigy LS. It was $50 WITH a copy of Hitman 2, so it is a pretty cheap card.

I'm looking into getting this one.

You need to adjust your driver settings. In Reason, go to edit>preferences>audio. There should be a pulldown menu with a few different driver choices. ASIO is usually the best choice in there for Reason, but you can try the others and see how they work. There's a slider in that tab that says Buffer size. Slide that thing to the left to make the buffer time shorter. I find 10 ms to be somewhat acceptable, 5-7 close to unnoticeable delay.

If you make it too short, you'll get crackles and pops. A faster computer and better soundcard will allow faster latencies.

I run my audigy at around 8 ms in Reason 3.0 with the creative ASIO drivers.

Also, you should set your settings for your operating system to "Adjust for best performance".

System Properties>Advanced>Performance Options (in win xp)

Also, reduce your sample rate and buffer size if everything else fails (in reason, edit properties>audio)

And of course all the other things the other posters said.

You need to adjust your driver settings. In Reason, go to edit>preferences>audio. There should be a pulldown menu with a few different driver choices. ASIO is usually the best choice in there for Reason, but you can try the others and see how they work. There's a slider in that tab that says Buffer size. Slide that thing to the left to make the buffer time shorter. I find 10 ms to be somewhat acceptable, 5-7 close to unnoticeable delay.

If you make it too short, you'll get crackles and pops. A faster computer and better soundcard will allow faster latencies.

I run my audigy at around 8 ms in Reason 3.0 with the creative ASIO drivers.

:D

That helped me a lot. I'm running the ASIO Full Duplex Drivers at about 23 ms. It's not perfect, but it's much better than what the Audigy drivers were at, 180 8O . Was able to bump the sample rate up to 96k also.

You can also sequence the ReDrum with the Matrix....triiiiippy. Could be interesting...for those who like pattern automation. You can see several drum channels at once which you can't while sequencing on the ReDrum. You can also create a matrix curve for some type of drum parameter at the same time.

Haha. What a weird idea. Redrum and Matrix are probably my favorite things about Reason. I'm going to have to try this sometime. :)

can someone help me make a bassline that sounds like this in reason?

http://s48.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2JYI9CAE9K26M2O9QCI1ZNX6C1

i can't seem to get the crunchiness right. this is the best i could come up with (reason file).

http://s45.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3EK8INGOUS1P22ME7BISJEWZ33

I got something a little closer. I didn't know if you had 3.0 or not so I didn't use any 3.0 machines. This would have been nicer in a combinator. I'm still not sure if this file will be readable by 2.5 even though I didn't use any 3.0 machines. Give it a try.

http://www.wam.umd.edu/~danadler/sgx%20womp.rns

The more I work with it, the more I realise that Reason 3.0 was worth my money. For $160 CAD, it has a lot of nice features that really smooth out the workflow. Best addition is the new browser, where you can play while you're browsing samples. But both SGX and I have already touted why Reason 3.0 is good.