REASON - Please Direct Reason questions here

Devvyn

Check if the "Note On" lights are triggering in your instruments. If they are and you still hear no sound, then double check your audio settings and ensure your driver is selected.

If that's all good, then you probably need to do the whole sound driver debugging thing, and if that's the case you will want to try posting more system information.

Well, for example... to test the sound I created a ReDrum machine, right? I clicked "Run" and the lights just run right down without producing sound. Maybe I'm doing something correctly? I'm very new to the Reason interface... I'm used to ACID Pro. I just can't really find any good resources for actually using Reason, like tutorials or anything, so I'm just kind of playing with it.

-IV

... See, now that just makes me feel stupid.

I actaully only think I have one more questions. The more time I spend with Reason the more I seem to learn about how it works. I've really started to make progress on how to lay down some good beats and effects. I'm still trying to figure out, however, what the best method is to load your own samples, such as pre-recorded beats, vocals, and other such tracks.

-IV

... See, now that just makes me feel stupid.

I actaully only think I have one more questions. The more time I spend with Reason the more I seem to learn about how it works. I've really started to make progress on how to lay down some good beats and effects. I'm still trying to figure out, however, what the best method is to load your own samples, such as pre-recorded beats, vocals, and other such tracks.

Reason's not really geared toward importing and slicing audio samples. I've never done it myself for a real song, but if I do load up a sample, I prefer using the NN-XT sampler and triggering them in the sequencer. You can use Redrum as well.

I prefer the sampler because then you can control for how long the sample goes on for in the sequencer, whereas in the Redrum, when you trigger it the entire sample will play out. Good for short hits, not so good with yor 1-minute vocal track.

If you're wanting Reason to act like acid and bring in premade loops and whatnot, then you'll want to use Dr. Rex and load in .rex loops. Dr. Rex only loads the rex files though, so if you wanted to use a library of .wav loops or something, you'd either have to buy ReCycle and convert those loops into rex loops, or load them in nnxt or nn19 as Arcana explained. However, loading them in those will lose their sliced time-stretching abilities.

So what do you think the best way to record my guitars/insturments/vocals? Looking at the Reaosn interface, it's hard to tell what's best for those things. I was using external software to record insturmentals and vocals, but does Reason offer a better alternative?

I'm not looking so much along the lines of pre-recorded loops, but more at my own samples and recorded tracks.

-IV

Reason can't record any audio at all. You'd have to use another program and then import the wav as we were saying before. Something like www.goldwave.com Goldwave or Audacity (google it) is free and can do the job, but its much easier to record straight into your sequencer program. Reason may not be for you. Or maybe if you have Acid 5, you can use Acid for that audio stuff and rewire Reason into Acid (that's what I do). Works well.

I didn't think Reason had featurs to record audio... hmmm, oh well. I think what I may be looking for is the best way to import pre-recorded audio in a .wav for implementation into reason.

And besides, if I'm doing something like recording most of my tracks, what is the best software? Really what I need is a program that will allow me to record vocals as well as insterments, implement effects (what I really like about Reason), create some digital tracks (drum loops, some of that bass), and then put it all together.

Perhaps what is best is using Soundforge to record, Reason to implement effects and create tracks digitaly, and use ACID to put it all together?

-IV

How can I create a good lead sound using the subtractor? I managed to do some decent stuff using the subtractor but I'm looking for some kinda guitar sounding lead. Perhaps if I join my subtractor with a compressor or distortion device.

Really what I need is a program that will allow me to record vocals as well as insterments, implement effects (what I really like about Reason), create some digital tracks (drum loops, some of that bass), and then put it all together.

Not sure what you mean by 'digital tracks.' You mean like writing out the notes yourself? ACID can do all you mention. Acid comes with effects, you can get plenty of free vst effects online, Acid can run vst instruments (which you can get for free online also), Acid can record audio. Seems like it can do all you need it to (though you might have to grab yourself a bunch of vst's to get there). However, Acid's midi editing isn't too great. It works, just isn't great to work with.

If you're looking for other programs that do this stuff check out Project5 (which actually looks and operates somewhat similarly to Acid, so you might like it if that's what you're used to), FLStudio, Abelton Live. Stuff like that might be what you are looking for.

I really love using ACID, and really feel comfortable in it too. The only problem is the interface, like you said, is not that great, and I can't find any good resources/tutorials. Even simple things like envelopes and adding effects all seem almost tedious, or else I'm just having difficulty learning to use it.

Alright, well, it looks like it's back to ACID. I think I might end up just using Reason for things like a drum machine.

So I guess the next step is learning what exactly VST insturments are good for.

-IV

I really love using ACID, and really feel comfortable in it too. The only problem is the interface, like you said, is not that great, and I can't find any good resources/tutorials. Even simple things like envelopes and adding effects all seem almost tedious, or else I'm just having difficulty learning to use it.

Alright, well, it looks like it's back to ACID. I think I might end up just using Reason for things like a drum machine.

I hope you were using the demo for Reason if you're going to be abandoning it...

If you bought Reason, learn how to use Rewire. That's what SGX does, and everyone wants to be like SGX. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Im interested in inverting a cv-signal.. The one way i have come up with is to set a malström's modulator at on-note and then record or print out notes that controll when it will start each loop, so if you got the square waveform for example, and you have it synced to the rythm, you can have it inverted by triggering it with notes.. But im wondering if there's an easier way to do it. Did i miss something ?

Im interested in inverting a cv-signal.. The one way i have come up with is to set a malström's modulator at on-note and then record or print out notes that controll when it will start each loop, so if you got the square waveform for example, and you have it synced to the rythm, you can have it inverted by triggering it with notes.. But im wondering if there's an easier way to do it. Did i miss something ?

See "Spider CV Merger/Splitter".

Ok, so I have Reason 3.0 on my laptop, and I use Reason 2.5 in my school's lab pretty often.

Is there a way that I can program a redrum in 6/8 time (or compound time in general)? I'm working on a song that starts out in 4/4 time, and I wan't it to switch to 6/8, and eventually back to 4/4. Is there a way to do this?

Not really. Reason's sequencer doesn't do time sig changes. You'd pretty much just have to continue sequencing in a set time sig but just keep track in your head where the REAL 6/8 measures would be.

Oh be careful: if you bring a 2.5 file into 3.0 and save it (even without any 3.0 exclusive machines in the file), the file won't work on 2.5 Reason anymore.

Ok, that does help a bit. I can't change the time sig in the middle of the song.

But I've been told that there is a way (supposedly a very tricky way) to program the ReDrum machine to play a loop in compound meter, even with the sequencer going in simple meter. Something having to do with changing the resolution and the number of steps. Specifically I'm going for 6/8 here. Any ideas?