REASON - Please Direct Reason questions here

Devvyn

Yeah just do like 12 steps at the normal 16th note division. Some multiple of 6 should do it.

In addition you probably want to change the Resolution dial to like 3/8 or 3/16 or something to get the compound feel.

How do you do that? The only ones I see are 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/8T, 1/16, 1/16T, etc.

It might just be easier to sequence your drums in the track sequencer and not in the redrum's pattern thing. That's how I usually do it anyway. It will keep things simpler.

That might be the best move... dang this is gunna be more work than I thought.

Ok then. I've got another question revolving around the same project. When the song is in 4/4, I've got the tempo at 120 bpm (which is right where I want it). But when I go into 6/8 time, the song feels way too slow at 120. I'm thinkin' 135 or 140 might do the trick, but is there any way to change the tempo in the middle of the song?

It might just be easier to sequence your drums in the track sequencer and not in the redrum's pattern thing. That's how I usually do it anyway. It will keep things simpler.

That might be the best move... dang this is gunna be more work than I thought.

Ok then. I've got another question revolving around the same project. When the song is in 4/4, I've got the tempo at 120 bpm (which is right where I want it). But when I go into 6/8 time, the song feels way too slow at 120. I'm thinkin' 135 or 140 might do the trick, but is there any way to change the tempo in the middle of the song?

Nope. Not unless you have another host program such as ACID or something that can do it. Thats one of the biggest hits in Reason is the lack of an automated tempo change.

You can select a bunch of your song, right click, change events, and time stretch a bunch of the midi by a percent. This will sound fine, but everything will be off of the note grid lines, making editing it really irritating and innaccurate.

You could just write your whole song, changing the tempo yourself to where it sounds good when you're working on the different sections, and then when you're done editing, time shift the midi. Irritating, but it will get the job done.

Daaaaaaaaaaaaangit.

Oh well. I'll try out that time shifting thing, but I'll probably end up just making two separate songs and sticking them together in Audacity or something.

What is the best way to set up a song in 6/8 time from the beginning (i.e. without ever intending to go into 4/4)?

Hey just a general question about a ReFill that aparently you used to be able to get - but can't anymore. I believe it was the AKAI clear mountain drums, aparently it was really good - just wondering if there is somewhere where you can still get it from that would be appreciated.

Also i've been mucking around with Reason 3 for a bit and started to use the synths which I had previously not used in 2.5 and i'm just wondering the pro's and con's or differences between using a Malstrom and a Subtractor, I find using Malstrom to be easy but my synths all sound basically the same no matter how much I alter them.

I would also like to know if I can get the AKAI drums from someone.

As for whether a malstrom or subtractor is better:

They are basically two different kinds of synthesis, which, just as any other synthesizer, makes them have a similar sound, no matter what oscillators you use. However, Malstroms are better than subtractors for making complex sounds with crazy modulations going on. It also (to me) has a more processed, guitar amp-sound on average. However, you can make just about any kind of sound with the malstrom; it just depends on how well you use the parameters.

Subtractors use a simpler way to make sounds and are therefore good at bass and other kinds of relatively simple, but strong sounds. But it all depends on how you use the different LFOs and such to give you a completely different sound and you can still make some pretty complex sounds with it. FX modules also change a lot of what makes both of them sound all alike, which is my main way of changing their sound.

EDIT: wow, I really didn't write that well... My bad. :oops:

I have a problem. Whenever I import a midi in reason, I lose all my tempo track (or conductor track). The only parameter remaining is the first tempo that appears to be the tempo for the whole song. How can I make the tempo change for some parts only?

Reason = nono tempo change

Reason can't do tempo changes. But, you could time warp the midi.

Select notes --> RIGHT CLICK in sequencer --> Change Events --> Scale Tempo --> Apply

Make sure you have the notes selected correctly and only use this process in your final stage of composition, it will be impossible to correctly quantize after you scale the tempo. Create backup files just in case.

Actually, I thought there was a simpler, smarter and more efficient way to do it... This is just pain in the ass and really hard if you have a lot of tempo changes on several tracks. :(

You can also:

1) use different song files. Export to different wavs and concatenate the wavs together.

2) Use Rewire into a host that supports automated tempo changes.