REASON - Please Direct Reason questions here

Devvyn

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, question... I am thinking of buying an electric guitar. I don't know how to play, but I get the hang of insutrments very quickly. Anyway, can an electric guitar be hooked up to a computer with a USB or MIDI cord and I can record it into reason? I don't think so, but I need to know.

Also, I know lots of people here have real quitars in their mixes. Do they just record them semperately then somehow add the other instruments? If so, how? Thanks.

That's really more of a general question than a Reason question. No, Reason does not support audio recording. You'd need an external application to combine both. For example, I recently purchased Cubase, which supports Rewire. Now I can record guitar into Cubase, and still use Reason instruments.

Typically guitars are routed through a mixer and into your sound card's input. The only way use MIDI or USB when recording guitar would be if you had a MIDI guitar or some kind of weird USB audio output.

Its in the list of things to insert along with all the synths and effects. If you have Reason 3.0. It's new. Otherwise I don't think there is a way to control more than one synth.

It's possible, if you use a Matrix which is CV Spidered off to the devices. But this doesn't allow playback fro a midi controller as such.

However, I think you can play midi info into more than one device by turning on the keyboard/revolver symbol thingy next to them in the sequencer window. And if you have a riff that sounds good coming out of one device, you can duplicate that sequencer track and assign it to the other device.

But yeah, the easier way to do this is to shell out for Reason 3. It's lovely :)

No, the sends are independent of each other. But you can chain them manually via the rear plugs (lol).

Isn't that something you'd be able to tell right away?

I knew you could chain em manually, just wasnt sure of the mixer... and my delays always sound a bit muddier than i like, and i usually have rev at 1, delay at 2, so i thought mabey thats why....? It couldnt be my sounds were just dirty ^^;;;

I kinda like the idea of a wavetable synth, that'd be nice... How about a 'portable LFO' device? Basically, its a simple LFO, except you can attach it to ANY rotary or fader you want... a chord comes out the front and you attach it to they synth knob you want it on, or somthing like that.

Oh and also, the 'Hide Cables' option should extend to 'Hide all cables except these i'm left clicking atm' or 'Hide all maelstrom cables' or somthing... It'd just be handy...

I think a new synth or an update to subtractor is in order. Subtractor is good, but really thin sounding compared to similar vsti's you can get for free. Software synthesis has improved since subtractor was made (three years ago or something?). Subtractor 2.0 or something would be nice.

I'd like to be able to load wavs into the Malstrom instead of just using the supplied waveforms.

• 3 weeks later...
They can add a decent filter. The current one is bobbins - just LP and BP. We need more power! HP at least...

The ECF-42 doesn't have HP but Dr.REX does.......

I'd like tempo automation. ^_^ And a new synth. Ooh! (this might be a bit of a stretch) And I want arpeggiation settings for the Matrix (or maybe even in the sequencer).

They can add a decent filter. The current one is bobbins - just LP and BP. We need more power! HP at least...

I'd like tempo automation. ^_^ And a new synth. Ooh! (this might be a bit of a stretch) And I want arpeggiation settings for the Matrix (or maybe even in the sequencer).

:o i gotta learn more about the instruments... i cant ask for more if i dnt know what the full capabilities are (ie never use the rex, ddnt know bout the filter) I agree with the tempo automation though...

Do most people want new stuff, or growth on whats already there? I like the idea of growth personally, i'd rather add to a chain than have to build a whole new one. But that could severally limit the possibilities...

Is there some way of routing an audio signal through a DrRex that I'm not aware of? Lots of instruments have nice filters (the subtractor, for example) but that's moot. I want to be able to high pass my entire mix.

And I'm not keen on using the reverse-sweep vocoder-whitenoise technique from Peff's book, either. Far too fiddly...

I just read this entire thread.

We should really put a little FAQ on the first page or something, seeing how the following make up 80% of the questions:

1) How do I automate tempo?

2) Why can't I automate effects?

3) Can I record audio in reason?

Honestly. Mods, would this be possible?

We should really put a little FAQ on the first page or something, seeing how the following make up 80% of the questions:

Honestly. Mods, would this be possible?

Maybe I'll talk to Gray about it and see if I can write something up for him to mod in.

Honestly. Mods, would this be possible?[/qi've just joined this site, but i thought that my work with reason could help some here. to automate any action you need to do a bunch of diffrent things, but there is one simple thing to know.

to automate a device, you will need to automate each of the knobs seaperately unless you have a usb driven midi controller(m-audio sells a bunch of them for pretty cheap). to do this, you right click on the knob or wheel and select "edit automation". there are two diffrent ways you can fo from here. you can either go to the sequencing board and draw in with the pencil what you want the now automated knob does, or you can start playing you song in record mode, and then manipulating the knob with your mouse while the song is playing. this will record your movements in real time and give you the desired effect.

hope that this helps your question.