REASON - Please Direct Reason questions here

Devvyn

Hmmm weird. I have two ideas

test it out with another rns file...does this still happen?

if so

Maybe it is some sort of odd memory leak bug in Reason. I seem to remember version 3.0.0 gave Macs some issues like that (don't know if you are mac or pc). Regardless, check on the Props website to see if you have the latest update.

if not

maybe you have some really weird feedback going? Disable any delay units you have running and see if that fixes it up.

Wild guesses :)

thanks for the help, since this problem is specific to this song only it's no big deal. I'm thinking that it's some kind of bug. this only happened after i decided to clean up the rack. i checked every instrument individually and it worked ok, maybe reason just got confused.

i did find however, that if i started to play/mash keys on my keyboard it would stop the cpu meter from exploding. so the problem is kinda solved

Nah.. reason has no function for setting the GM voices per track. The function is more so that you can move your arrangement to another sequencer where you will be using softsynths also, not really to make a midi track for listening on a GM soundcard or whatever. You'll have to use some MIDI editing software to assign the instruments on the track for the midi.

ok I'm gonna go ahead and most this in here aswell

I installed Reason today, and I wanted to Rewire it with FL so I could use the sounds of my Triton refill in FL. So I did all the necessary stuff and got it working, when I play notes in the Piano Roll it plays them fine straight off the refill. Then when I wanted to record, it records the notes but theres no playback in FL. Do I have to link the programs through midi to get it to play the notes?

Or isn't it possible to use the refill sounds in FL?

It's nearly 6 AM so I've probably missed out something really obvious, any help would be appreiciated.

Thanks.

Edit: Watched a tutorial on YouTube and learnt how to add the MIDI Out channel.

• 4 weeks later...

There are 2 parts to the Reason interface: the Rack, and the Sequencer. The Rack is where you see the device itself and can play with the settings, the Sequencer is where you set the automation, notation, etc. By default, the Rack and Sequencer should be combined in one window, with the Rack ontop.

To set pitches, go to the sequencer, and select an instrument from the list on the left-hand side. There is a button that had 3 coloured bars on it, that switches from 'Arrange Mode' (where you see the entire song and all instrument parts) and 'Edit Mode' (where you set individual instrument's notes and automation). Once your in edit mode, you can set pitches in the piano roll, and to play, press play. Easy as.

Is there any way of controlling which instrument is being played by my midi controller with some selection buttons on the front of my controller? This is so that I can quickly change, from example, from strings to piano and not having to go get the mouse and aim at the midi in selector in a live performance....

PD:yay goomba ^^

How can you actually create pitch if you don't have a MIDI keyboard? I can open up the synthesizers, but none of them have any software interface with which I can select a pitch.

What V Said. Also, if you want to control pitch in a more dynamic way, most instruments have two wheels to the left, the MOD wheel and the pitch wheel. With the mod wheel you can asign some parameters to it and control them with the wheel, and the pitch wheel does what you think it would, changes the pitch as you move it. You can set how many octaves up/down you can move through by changing the number on top of the wheels.

Question! How do you automate panning in 2.5? I've looked around and i can't find anyway of doing it. I'd like some swirl around the panning spectrum effects but i can't seem to do it. The closest thing i've found is "spread" which only affects from one side to the center. Any way that doesnt involve rewire?

Cheers

Question! How do you automate panning in 2.5? I've looked around and i can't find anyway of doing it. I'd like some swirl around the panning spectrum effects but i can't seem to do it. The closest thing i've found is "spread" which only affects from one side to the center. Any way that doesnt involve rewire?

Cheers

You have to do your panning automation on the mixer's channel of the audio signal you want to pan. If you want you can modulate the panning using an lfo by connecting the lfo's output to the mixer channel's pan cv in.

So yeah, automate it on the mixer.

EDIT: oh and remember to create a sequencer track for your mixer, since it doesn't creates one by default and you will need one to automate the parameters on the mixer.