Legend of Babooon er Dragooon - important boss fight

HoboKa

midi: http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/sony/ps1/LODMBOSS.mid

http://www.tindeck.com/audio/my/ieis/LoD_MegaBoss_remix_ver1

It's about 3/4 done or so...def. needs work on the EQ sector so don't cry about that too much plz :P - I'll work it out ^_~. Hopefully the composition isn't random either (too much so, anyways, knowing me :P)

Yeah, yeah I know I've been posting 10001 songs here, but I've been getting inspirations like Ecstasy mixed with crack and Chuck Norris.

This is really deep and dark, I like it. Nice selection of intruments, in particular the snaredrum gong and choir. really liked the pick up at 1:50.

There was a werid scratchy noise at about 1:56 which was weird/rubbish.

Not sure what I could add to this... Quite like it as is.

xGx

This is really deep and dark, I like it. Nice selection of intruments, in particular the snaredrum gong and choir. really liked the pick up at 1:50.

There was a werid scratchy noise at about 1:56 which was weird/rubbish.

Not sure what I could add to this... Quite like it as is.

xGx

yeah the SFX near the end failed major time...gonna edit those out.

Interesting take on this song! I would have expected something that took the original and made up more upbeat and punchier, while you've taken it and made it darker and more menacing. Not the expected direction, but it works.

Your ending needs a bit of work. Either make it shorter and more distinct, or longer and smoother. For bonus points, you could try to use the little victory theme that plays at the end of the battle in the game (it's different for each battle theme), but that could easily destroy the atmosphere of the piece, so it may not work. Use your own judgement.

Other than that, no glaring issues come to mind. The part the comes in at 0:33 (what is that, a keyboard?) sounds a bit odd, but it's not a deal-breaker, and it works pretty well after you get over the inital shock of its introduction. I'm sure the more technically inclined people here will have some more advice for you.

Incidentally, I don't know if "MegaBoss" is the title of your remix or the title you're using for the original track. The title I have for the original track is "Major Boss", so "MegaBoss" wouldn't be a horrible title for the remix (though it's not terribly creative either). I'm sure the original song is on YouTube somewhere so I'll find a link when I get home (at work right now, YouTube is blocked) so people will have a better source for the original than a blocked midi file.

That hi hat at the start is good up until when the bass/snare kick in. at that point it starts to sound very forced and weird like its played by a robot or something.

2:33 breaks down a bit but the drums dont seem to come down with the rest of it, maybe some ride cymbol?

3:00 gets a little weird, i think some definate fills and proper accents on the drums would help it here the drums just dont seem to match the tune

love the way it comes back in though at 3:21

ending it still weird but you said you wernt done with that yet

apart from those little bits i think its coming along really well :D

xGx

That hi hat at the start is good up until when the bass/snare kick in. at that point it starts to sound very forced and weird like its played by a robot or something.

2:33 breaks down a bit but the drums dont seem to come down with the rest of it, maybe some ride cymbol?

3:00 gets a little weird, i think some definate fills and proper accents on the drums would help it here the drums just dont seem to match the tune

love the way it comes back in though at 3:21

ending it still weird but you said you wernt done with that yet

apart from those little bits i think its coming along really well :D

xGx

yeah my transitions are weird...im gonna get a new HH rhythm for the main beat as well as fix them drums at 3:00. Though I like the beat for them, I agree that they need some fills. Dunno wut I can do about the ending...actually I have an idea. bear with me dood :D

Sounding much better now!

Only thing i could say is are you using any crash cymbols on that drum kit? Theres a gong which is excellently used but the only crashes I heard was about 2:43 onward. its like you've forgot to use it in the early stages of the song where if used lightly and correctly would aid the build up without making it too dramatic as to ruin the ending feeling of intensity.

Over all its looking really really good now, dont know what else i could say about this apart from its good ^-^

xGx

Sounding much better now!

Only thing i could say is are you using any crash cymbols on that drum kit? Theres a gong which is excellently used but the only crashes I heard was about 2:43 onward. its like you've forgot to use it in the early stages of the song where if used lightly and correctly would aid the build up without making it too dramatic as to ruin the ending feeling of intensity.

Over all its looking really really good now, dont know what else i could say about this apart from its good ^-^

xGx

thanks very much, but i need input from more prominant members of OCR...I don't want to submit this and get an instant rejection like my last stuff...could be just that the J's hate me iono.

thanks very much, but i need input from more prominant members of OCR...I don't want to submit this and get an instant rejection like my last stuff...could be just that the J's hate me iono.

We're in the same boat dude dont worry haha.

Politely ask Rozovian for a critique he always seems to delivier sound advice with exelent deep anyalsis. That is when he doesnt just decide to bitch about a song he doesnt like. :P I respect his opinions quite allot though.

xGx

I see you haven't got more than one or two people responding, and the DJ Prez himself is asking for more people to comment, so let me help you out a little bit.

I'm gonna be brutally honest here, as you want to be accepted on OC. I like the piece a lot for the first thirty seconds, then... well, it was hard to hear the rest of it through. Excluding the mixing quality (which is pretty muddy in general), the problems were of a compositional nature. These are all suggestions, but I hope they will help you with this piece.

0:00 - 0:32 sounds very awesome. It sets you up for a chill orchestral groove of the Virage fight. No comments.

0:33 - 1:08 ... it's starting to hurt my ears a little. The organ is most noticeably grating here. Moving down in fifths so prominently is something that only guitars can get away with (and even then, only in metal or rock & roll). They do nothing for the song except make it feel clunky. Also, they're too loud, dominating the rest of the little things your doing there. If you need something there, please, PLEASE move in 3rds or 6ths. Octaves sound too open, and won't add anything aesthetically pleasing here either. There is a choir here, too, but because he simply doubles what all of the other instruments are doing here, it doesn't help the texture at all; if you want to keep it, have it at least sing against the descending line, not with it. The drums are a little stale, but not too bad, either. Perhaps just a little variance to the beat will help.

1:09 - 1:35 I like the gong breaking the two sections apart. Very effective. 1:11 - 1:24 also sounds good, although the orchestra hits are getting old, now. I'd change the instrument, or drop it completely, leaving only the bells behind. The melody doesn't stick out well, either. I think just tuning the volume will fix that. The choral counter-melody... well, I'm lovin' it. Don't touch it. From 1:25 - 1:35, the string texture (not the melody) just sounds off. I know you probably wanted it to change a little, as it's been repeating for some time now, but it hurts more than it helps. Also, the counter-melody choir you have is not 'countering' the melody anymore. It merged with it. That wasn't very nice; I liked it when it was against the melody much better.

1:36 - 2:32 Two repetitions of this next part sounds alright; four repetitions is painful to sit through. I'd personally cut out 2:09 - 2:32 entirely, for the sake of temporal space. 1:36 - 1:45 doesn't fit. I understand it's a variation of the whole tone material from the song, but it doesn't work as it is. On the other hand, you do need something there to break 1:09 - 1:35 from 1:45 - 2:09, so you can't just delete it, either. Perhaps making it a little closer to the source will save it, but I can't tell from here. Oh, and the orchestra hits still sound bad here, but if they are cut from the earlier section they might create a better contrast when inserted in this section again. Cutting the bells and replacing them with the orchestra hits might work very well in this context. The drums sound good here, by the way :).

2:33 - 3:02 It sounds ok here, but if you want on OC, 'ok' won't cut it. To make it sounds 'good' or 'great' your gonna want to cut some material here. I'd play around with the idea of cutting a lot of your instruments out and cutting the hard beat from the drums from 2:33 - 2:50. I'm thinking real light, here; only plucked bass and hats from the drums. Having all of the instruments explode in 2:51 - 3:02 (drums pick up, all of the instruments you have now suddenly 'appear' out of nowhere) will not only draw attention to the music, it will have the listener eager to hear more. Toy with the idea a bit and see if you want that.

3:03 - 3:20 It sounds too much like the last section to distinguish itself from it. Bring the melody out a lot more, however you can. It is drown in the texture. Varying the texture just a bit might also help distinguish the section.

3:21 - 4:08 Personally, I like the electronica switch here, but you include some of your orchestra hits here, as well. In this context, I think just getting rid of the orchestra hits altogether will clean up this section considerably. From 3:21 - 3:44 the music is good, but the listener expects a repetition that really beefs up the music afterwards. 3:45 - 4:08 you vary the melody a bit, but its not enough. This feels like it should be the climax; changing the melody a bit doesn't cut it. Beef the texture up, add to the drums, EXPLODE on the audience here!

4:09 - 4:21 This is wimpy. It sounds empty and incomplete. Of course, you said it isn't finished, so hurry up and finish it! Oddly enough, this particular game has an ending to each of it's fights, rather than use a generic 'Victory' theme. Perhaps incorporating it into the end will help you come up with something satisfying. Really, though, psychologically speaking, people remember the beginning and end of a song the best. The beginning is very well executed, so fix the end and people will look back at it saying 'Wow, that was awesome!' rather than 'It started well, and ended in suxoors.'. It is essential.

For the mixing, in general everything was at the same volume too often, and everything encompased the same musical space (from around Bb3 - Bb5).

If you want on OC, your gonna need to work at polishing your music better. As I've said, there are things in this mix that I really like, so don't lose hope. It takes patience and hard work to pull out great music, but it's worth it at the end.

(BTW - I was thinking about doing this piece myself, good choice in music selection)

(Also, this must be the single longest comment EVER!!! :<HahaAhAhahAHaHah!!!1!)

Rofl thanks Gario - that is a LOT more than I expected for a response from other ppl. A little disheartening too, I must say. Brutally honest IS better than sugar coating stuff then having the J's vomit on my works though.

And are you forreals that the DJ Prez said, "Yo dawg, go critique that nub, HoboKa"?? (or something on that line) or are you just messing with me? lol

Over all though, this seems real daunting - I feel that just working on new compositions and getting my production skills up is better than trying to salvage this piece, as you make it sound that it's a pretty awful mess. It'd help if I had decent samples too...not saying that you can't do without them (as we all know that DarkeSword uses soundfonts mainly - and he's a pro at EQ)

But I shall TRY to polish it up and do some of your suggestions. Thanks for the comments man :)

• 4 weeks later...