games you replay because of the soundtrack

K.B.

Not exactly a complete replay, but sometimes I'll start up old games just to watch their opening sequences/hear the opening music. Games such as...

Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Secret of Mana

Chrono Trigger

Final Fantasy VIII

Other games I enjoy replaying for the music:

Katamari Damacy/We (heart) Katamari

Shadow of the Colossus

Yoshi's Island. Full stop.

I see a few people have mentioned FFVIII. Hell yeah, I thought I was the only one who liked that soundtrack especially, even when compared to other Final Fantasy games. Kenobio mentioned the opening -- I'm not sure if he's talking about the opening FMV when you start a new game (Liberi Fatali) or the song that plays if you leave it on the main menu long enough (Overture), but both of those are great songs. Good times.

HOLY SHIT, YOU PLAYED TD2192!?

In all my years, I've only come across 2 other people that have even heard of this game!

Yeah, I vaguely remember that game too. Maybe I should download it to refresh my memory though... I don't recall it having good music.

Here's my list:

Zelda 64

Super Metroid

Zelda Twilight Princess

Final Fantasy 6

Yeah, I vaguely remember that game too. Maybe I should download it to refresh my memory though... I don't recall it having good music.

Here's my list:

Zelda 64

Super Metroid

Zelda Twilight Princess

Final Fantasy 6

Wow, I gave up on the hope of ever finding anyone else who played TD2192. And now two people come at once! Heh. Anyway, as for the music... you don't remember it? Damn. Even though I was only 6 when I played it, this game got me interested in music for video games.

Yoshi's Island. Full stop.

I see a few people have mentioned FFVIII. Hell yeah, I thought I was the only one who liked that soundtrack especially, even when compared to other Final Fantasy games. Kenobio mentioned the opening -- I'm not sure if he's talking about the opening FMV when you start a new game (Liberi Fatali) or the song that plays if you leave it on the main menu long enough (Overture), but both of those are great songs. Good times.

The whole soundtrack to FFVIII was great. I shouldn't have to explain why this was a great game, and I think that playing it will be the first thing I do when I get back home.

Toejam and Earl.

The game could suck to quite a high degree and I would still play it.

Why, Sega, did you not put this on your Genesis best-of collection (for the PS2)? Why?!? Now I might never get to play it... legally...

Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy VIII

NOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooo...........

Rinoa will always have a special place in my heart. I still love her... wait I mean the game... um, er, you all just don't get it!

As the original poster stated, Top Gear 2. In fact, I am almost finishing a remix of it >_>.

Holy remix Batman! To the WIP forum!

EDIT: oh yeah, to add to the list, Ys (the first one).

damn, so many people replaying long ass games because of the soundtrack. Problem with that, for me - how long do you have to play till you get to your favorite songs? lol.

My picks -

Streets of Rage 2

Tempest 2000 (Jaguar, not shitty CD / PSX version)

Tetrisphere

Wipeout XL

SSF2 HD Remix (of course!!)

Street Fighter 3 3rd strike

Cheetahmen II! - Can't beat it on account of the game being a glitch by design.

Albert Odyssey - Brilliant soundtrack, mediocre (but silly) game.

Tyrian - I actually like the game, since I've had a fondness for top-down shooters since Galaga. I always turn the SFX down and music way up for this one.

There aren't many I can think of that I play specifically for the soundtrack; everything else that comes to mind is at least a great game with a killer soundtrack. KF

I used to play sonic 2 just to hear the Metropolis zone music.

I think I even used a tape recorder so I could listen to it away from the game.

I also remember a speciffic time when I heard "the lion king" playing in my genesis, but I was nowhere near it. Apparently my mom liked the music, so she put the game in to listen to the menu music. I tried to explain sound test, but it was a bit too much for her.

Wow, I gave up on the hope of ever finding anyone else who played TD2192. And now two people come at once! Heh. Anyway, as for the music... you don't remember it? Damn. Even though I was only 6 when I played it, this game got me interested in music for video games.

Listening to TD2192 music as I read this; you can make that three people. I was also six at the time and thought the music was pretty kickass, although there are only a few tracks.

Aside from that and the storyline (also superb, although the innuendo-laden dialogue went over my head a bit at that age), the gameplay itself fairly mediocre. I think it got me used to the idea of dialogue-driven games.

Years later I would try to get a friend (who is also a huge RPG fan) to play Phoenix Wright (another game with a KICKASS soundtrack), only to watch him try in vain to "skip the dialogue" to get to the action. Needless to say, he did not get very far into the game.

In any case, TD2192 has now been re-released under the Creative Commons license and can be played freely by all. It also runs quite nicely in DOSBox.

Listening to TD2192 music as I read this; you can make that three people. I was also six at the time and thought the music was pretty kickass, although there are only a few tracks.

Aside from that and the storyline (also superb, although the innuendo-laden dialogue went over my head a bit at that age), the gameplay itself fairly mediocre. I think it got me used to the idea of dialogue-driven games.

Years later I would try to get a friend (who is also a huge RPG fan) to play Phoenix Wright (another game with a KICKASS soundtrack), only to watch him try in vain to "skip the dialogue" to get to the action. Needless to say, he did not get very far into the game.

In any case, TD2192 has now been re-released under the Creative Commons license and can be played freely by all. It also runs quite nicely in DOSBox.

Oh yes. The actual gameplay in TD2192 is pretty weak yeah, but that I think it doesn't really matter. The great music and writing more than make up for it, I say! At first the storyline seems like it's typical bad evil aliens against rag-tag resistance, etc, but the way it fleshes out and develops is superb. By just a few missions in you're hooked and interested in the characters. Lt. Velasquez bickering with Karl the dispatcher had me laughing every time. And I still do.

I'd really love to hear an orchestrated version of the musical score. I really would. Maybe that's something I should aim to do at some point...