Top Gear 2 - Ayres Rock (WIP)

Sir_NutS

LAST EDIT(3/19/2012) CLICK HERE FOR LAST WIP

edit: Old as hell wip

Remember this awesome remix by Rayza?

Well that was once part of a project I was trying to build up with a few other remixers. Sadly that never come to fruition because of several reasons I already forgot about, but some awesome WIPs were made, and well, I was working on my own mix as well. Also I was very glad that Rayza's mix got on the site as well, because it's really great.

Anyhoo, This is a psytrance take on the Ayers Rock theme from Top Gear 2. For those unfamiliar with the genre, you might find this song a little "out there". I recommend you to go grab some early Infected Mushrooms songs and you'll know where I'm getting at with this. Here's the link to my remix

About the song, I might extend it some, or maybe not. I do need to fix some stuff, and also change the voice sample effect that I accidentally made it sound almost exactly as it is on Rayza's mix (which is funny because he gave me the original .wav sample).

Here's a link to the original OST: http://snesmusic.org/v2/profile.php?profile=set&selected=3062

Enjoy, comments are welcome. (new version cooming soonish)

First thing, Straight away the bass blew me away, wth how do you do that!? what are you using for that?! its insanely awsome... damn I want to be able to make shit like that.

Not sure of the source for this but...

The intro voice was cool.

The little snare in the beginning was a little poor during the build up until 1:24 perhaps a little echo on it?

A few of the initial changes seemed to come very suddenly without provocation which was a little weird but then they started to work better as it changed more and more.

at 2:10ish i love the sounds there and then the offbeat hihat sounds reallu awsome together.

at 2:52 not sure i like that instrument, its like a distored sitar or something? I mean its ok... It not really bad...

drops back down to the bass and some awsome drum loop comes in, some nice fills those are sick. love the build up after that too. loved it all the way to the end

This is pretty awsome, that bass omg... share secrets dude :P

xGx

P.S. just saw the OST link - didnt realise what OST stood for then it just clicked whoops...

Can't listen to source, no .rsn player on the computer. Can guess some source elements, tho.

A bit repetitive, dunno if there's any source in those longer straights. Pretty harsh mono instrument starting around 2:50, doesn't blend well into the track.

Repetition and the 2:50 instrument are the only crits I can hear in this. Can't comment on interpretation, tho.

I like it. :D

The bass is nothing special, really. I can't check it out right now but from what I remember is just some basic saws going through a couple of LPs and a bit of distortion. My samples are not a secret in fact I compiled a refill for the community to use :). Here is the thread.

I see some people are having problems with the synth at 2:50. It was meant to be a little rough and raw but I'll change it and try something else. Also I agree the snares and other drums in the beginning need a little boost.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll do a new version this week. Glad some people are liking it.

• 2 years later...

I'll use my epic necromancing powers to resurrect this one.

So lately I've been kinda back into mixing, and this is one of those mixes that I always wanted to finish up and get it ready for the panel.

As i said in the OP I had a little Top Gear 2 project I was arranging this for, and there are already two mixes already posted, Rayza's and Blind's. So I grabbed it again and worked on it a bit to see if I can get the third mix from the mini-album I had planned on the site.

(UP-TO DATE LINK IN THE FIRST POST)

Those who had difficulties listening to the original, here's a youtube link:

As always I appreciate any and all feedback, specially now that I'm very close to submitting this to the panel.

• 3 weeks later...

This is pretty good! In fact its good enough that I really only have two crits:

I think you can do a lot more with the percussion here. As much as the tambourine sample is good for keeping it going, I'd love some more typical cymbal work as the genre has. Also a more cutting snare.

Another thing that could use work is your transitions. Sections change and it doesn't feel like anything is happening. Try to pack a little more energy or variety in how things progress would greatly improve the song!

I'll keep on listening for more crits but those two are pretty big on my list. Loving the style and production thus far though!

• 3 months later...

Sigh, I wonder if I'll ever finish this remix for good. T_T

I keep adding things and trying to get the production right. IT'S BEEN YEARS NOW! Hilarious.

Hopefully this is as close as it'll ever get for a last version ready for submission. Click here to grab the new version.

Thanks for the recommendations so far, more criticism would be great, I changed a lot of stuff in this new (and hopefully last) version. Enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...

So... this one again. :D

0:30-0:40 bits of source main mel

0:57-1:24 probably not source

1:24-2:04 main mel source bits, increasingly less bit-y

2:04-2:32 chords

2:32-3:10 source mel 2

3:13-3:39 chords in bass

3:39-4:35 main mel

Including the chords-only parts I arrive at 196 seconds, excluding the chords it's 132 sec, 10 seconds shy of Larry's stopwatch. Dunno how the judges will count, but it might be bit short on dominant source usage.

Interpretation is sufficient, it's clear what source you're using, this just hangs on there being enough source... and possible technical details that I think I'll let someone better versed in psytrance comment on.

What I can say is that there are parts that could be cleaner and less harsh, 2:46 is probably the worst offender there, cluttered and not easy on the ears. There's instruments that'd benefit a lot from being softer. There's a kind of artificial brightness to it that gets harsh.

I would have used the checklist, but most of it would be caveats.

Not much else to say, this'd fall on source usage or production, and I can't say much more about either of those atm.