OCR01785 - Street Fighter II "Fiddlesticks"

djpretzel

I've been a huge fan of your more recent stuff, Jimmy, but I wasn't feeling this one all the way through. I didn't like the first synth lead and the lead at the end Dave mentioned as much the guitar lead, which was kickin'. Wouldn't have minded that used all the way through. But the rest of the song - the beat and especially the effects - was awesome.

Love the slap bassline. Agree with Palpable on the lead synth in the beggining, could have used a nice synth lead layered in. Although it does have a very nice megaman vibe to it. :)

Arrangement is pretty killer along with the transitions. The pacing is nice, the song is always moving forward and keeping the energy. The breakdown section was pretty killer too, loved when the energy picked up in it. Good stuff Jimmy!

Say what? A remix by Big Giant Circles? Oh you have my attention already!

Stunning, stunning, stunning! The introduction made me have to replay it to make sure it was real and that my brunch pancakes weren't making things sound sweeter than they should be. How wrong I was, as I only loved it more the 2nd time! The guitar in this ReMix is absolutely beautiful sounding and goes well with the toughness of the track. The guitar sounds a lot like "The arena" from Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.

LOVE the pace change near the end. It was so well transitioned into that I didn't even notice it happen when I was typing this review with half a pancake flopping out of my mouth.

To sum this ReMix in 2 works?

You just couldn't! Beautiful stuff BGC.

Thanks for the reviews guys and gals.

Thought I'd throw in some fun trivia/explanation as well. This mix was actually made (well, most of it anyway) over a year ago. It started out as a candidate for SF2T HD of course, so therefore, it was pretty much a straight up cover, and obviously not very OCR-passable.

The first minute and a half (pretty much until the *good* electric guitar comes in) is exactly the same as it was back then. There's a pretty obvious difference between the synthetic electric guitar in the first part of the song and the electric guitar at 1:30 or so. That's because the first one is simply the "inferno" preset in FL's Sytrus plugin :)

I did not at that time have nice things like Guitar Rig and my new nifty plugins that I've acquired in the past year, otherwise, I'd have probably used the same guitar patch for that instead of Sytrus. Turns out I was just too lazy to change it when Larry and Dave asked me to revise the track to accommodate the OCR criteria a little better. Let that be a lesson, kids. Laziness is going to score you more complaints than praise :lol:

Anyway, moving on, the transition/fast part was actually again, the "heavy damage" version of the song intended for in game use. Larry dug the track, so he suggested I fuse the two together. So I did. I know it's not a *perfect* transition, but eh, I have to admit, I myself was fond of the fast portion, and rather than it either not get used at all and recede into the realm of projects forgotten or whatever, I decided to go ahead and shamelessly tack it onto the end.

And that's... the REST of the story![/paul harvey] :<

So lIeK, tHaNkZ 4 LiStEnInG GuYz!!! <3

Man, is Zangief the next Ice Cap? Seems like just a few days ago I heard a Zangief mix.. ;-)

The beats are as hot as a Russian wrestler's love, but I can't say I was feeling that bass and string sample right away. Just sounded a little dated, though the buildup was well handled.

Even moving to the synth guitar was a big improvement, and you know how I feel about synth guitar leads. I do have to admit that it's some of the nicest synth guitar i've heard in awhile so nice work. That section also had the extra panned percussion. Sounded awesome.

Transitions were sick; that full track gate made me all ":nicework:". The transition to the heavy damage was pretty strong I thought, despite comments on the contrary. I think it could have been extended a bit to smooth it out, but I think it worked well despite it's seemingly abruptness.

Overall this mix is pretty great, but yeah, no more laziness allowed!

Great track with plenty of energy!

Props for having two basslines going at the same time, hehe. :) On my first few listens I felt the string lead sounded either too fake or not fake enough, but even then when the harmony came in, it sounded extremely good. Now I don't seem to mind the single lead part either.

Overall I like how the structure builds quite quickly up to the leads, gets intense with the guitar, and then cools off a bit, before having another go with the guitar. The transition to heavy damage works quite well in my opinion, even while I do believe if you feel you could have done a better job. It's pretty good as it is! I don't like the long power chords (I generally don't), they feel a little stiff, that would have been a great opportunity to throw in some subtle filters or tremolo effects, glitchy stuttering, or something to spice them up. Not that they bother me *that* much. The HD part fits together very well, while having a different feel. It feels like it's over too soon, but I guess I'll just press play again!

--Eino

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is like "the power of techno", so as the theme theme of a bear wrestler from Mother Russia, I'm going to have to disagree with djp in regards of this mix and in-game use.

I do agree with him, however, that it was an extremely good idea to release this one to the public. It does makes me wonder, though, what other gems like this became hidden in the shuffle.

Anyway, this is a great mix and worth listening to.

Very nice.

Monsieur Giant Circles, tis a travesty thou hast not... I can't keep that up. But that really should have been the song used in SF2HDRTUSFBIXX. This is a seriously awesome song. I love all of the detail and little quirky sounds throughout that make multiple listens not only great but necessary. One of your best in my opinion, and so from you, that means its one of the best songs ever written by man. Great work!

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

That electric guitar was amazing and I really like the intro. I got to say that game or no game, this is a fantastic track. The faster arrangement was sweet and sold me this mix even more than the rest of the ReMix. It's interesting to hear a ReMix that sounds like two different mixes when compared to the beginning and end of it, but it was unique.

• 1 year later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01785 - Street Fighter II "Fiddlesticks"