OCR01026 - Terminator 2 "CSM-101 Level One"

djpretzel

Well, the arrangement is top notch. And there are a lot of interesting ideas... but I just can't get into this mix.

It sounds so incredibly fake. And it's a shame, since it's obvious Mr. Sisk has an ear for music and arranging.

I would have loved this mix if the entire thing had a sound/soundfont overhall.

Disappointing, yet promising.

Fake? Man, I don't think it's trying to sound real at all. Just good. It's so cool.

Anyway, for those who don't know, the Terminator 2 soundtrack was done by Tim and Geoff Follin, the guys behind the amazing Plok soundtrack...I was just listening to the NSF of Terminator 2, and they do some really stunning things with the NES soundchip...I'd expect nothing less from the guys who produced the best sounding music from a SNES soundchip in Plok.

When I listened to the WiP of this way back God knows when, I knew that there were some rough parts to it, but that with a little love it could really be a great mix. I kept the original cuz I liked it a lot, but it seems Lorenzo has ignored some of my advice. There is no "transition" per se, there is simply the ending of the first section and the start of the second. I thought the arpeggios were really crappy too, but the part leading to the end with the synths sounds a lot better. I don't think sample quality is an issue, as the mix doesn't really try to be realistic. With the 8-bit drums you can tell this is a very synthy piece. If the transitions were better (if there WAS a transition) and the middle section were cleaned up it woulda been better. But it's ultimately the artist who decides how his piece is gonna end up.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

This song is very authentic in terms of Terminator. It gives you a feeling of Fear, and funky futuristic retro game feel. Overall, this meets the standards of any gamer fan of the Terminator series, but also gives you a very "Futuristic Demon Machine" Feel oftenly overlooked because of the fact that the Terminator was known for instilling more action and explosions than fear. Awesome work Lorenzo! :D

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

I really love it, since it has the dark feeling I get from the original Terminator main theme. And it has some serious cool oldschool trip hop/hip hop in it too. And then some awesome electro . So it is a very beautiful piece, and well. That is I call music in the hip hop/trip hop and electro genre. Thumps up :-D awesome piece :-) very cool cover :-D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Just came up on my 1001-1250 list. Kinda surprised it made it through the lockdown, considering the considerable Terminator theme usage. Must've been the FOLLIN BIAS.

That aside, decent track. I'm gonna have to agree about the weird transitions though. Like at first I thought my player had gone to the next track, but then 2 minutes later the Terminator theme comes in again and I'm like "wait I'm still listening to the same track??"

Just came up on my 1001-1250 list. Kinda surprised it made it through the lockdown, considering the considerable Terminator theme usage. Must've been the FOLLIN BIAS.

The change in the rules with extensive incorporation of a non-VG source came with Dave's veto of "A Star Freezes Over". Up until then, they weren't contested, so stuff like this and the VGM/Xmas music hybrids are gonna stay.

And Follin bias.

• 7 months later...

This carries a lot of cinematic grit. A number of synths and percussion pieces sound robotically inclined to paint a future without humans. Guitar thrashes bare the mix's teeth while filtered howls prophesy danger from far away. The saxophone adds a groovy noir touch, and pads and strings offer a calm purity (or perhaps a post-apocalyptic unease) near the end. Even 2:46-3:46 plays in a lower key than 1:48-2:46 in the source to further accentuate the feel of a rundown future.

I see no problem in keeping the source's "drop the song and pick it up again" tactic; the guitar seizes the opportunity to roar back to 2:25 as if to say, "Think you averted Judgment Day? Think again!" (Its wavy vibes really add to the apprehension.) Economic use of the T2 theme, as well. It fits where the source is driven more by Follin-esque percussion and atmosphere than a leading melody.

• 1 year later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01026 - Terminator 2 "CSM-101 Level One"