OCR01027 - Super Mario RPG "Seeking Heat"

djpretzel

I like this. It is pretty minimal, and is more a bunch of improvised stuff over the original bassline than actually a remix of the melody, but the original emphasized the bass over everything else, anyway. The jazz piano solo at 1:07 seems kind of out of place with everything else, but it's extremely well done. And Sine manages to do a lot of neat stuff with just a simple filtered synth as the lead, although there are a few places where it seems to stay on a note that doesn't agree with everything else going on (like 2:41), but they eventually resolve.

But yeah, this is nice. Definitely a keeper.

I still love this mix. Barrel Volcano is one of my favorite themes from SMRPG and this one shows you can get a lot of a little.

I'm not too terribly fond of 40 seconds worth of fadeout at the end, especially of a classy understatement like this piece, but that's just a personal thing. However I was very impressed by the :56-1:07 transition to bring in the piano, shows some discipline. The 1:56-3:24 piano outro to the synth lead messing about is GREAT stuff, especially the bring back around the 3:00 mark, but then the long fadeout bugs me.

I still give it an 8/10 tho.

I really like arrangements like this. I am a huge fan of this mix, and I think it is much the same. Everything is very well balanced, and well processed. The mix takes small things and makes a great song out of them, with sort of an understated groove pushing it along. This mix takes some chances, and I think that's good. Predictablility is bad. And it's nice to hear something that isn't just four on the floor I-IV-V, and that soloing is about as far as you can acceptably go from it. What makes songs like this work is the subtleties, and this mix has them in spades. From the cray little synth in the back to the driving push of the bassline, there isn't anything I hear in this mix that screams "UNPOLISHED!!!" which is what you want when attempting a mix like this.

:nicework: for trying something different.

:banghead: NO! ... :banghead: NO!....... :banghead: NOOOOOOO!!! :x I was going to do a remix of this one and be the first to get it up here, but NOOOOOO! Sine beat me to it! I have to get employed and then start remixing again!!!! GGRRRR! :banghead:

Whatever, the mix sounds great so you're forgiven. Why? The piano!!!! It's all bout the piano. I just love how the keys ring all over the place. Nice work! That synth's a little loud though, and the marimba was used in the original piece for that break. But it sounds good. The thing that keeps the beat in the original song is the bassline, but you've added a few things to really get fans of the song into it.

Nice work! :nicework:

• 1 month later...

This ReMix is badass! I can't say anything relly negitive about this. Im gradeing tests right now and I havnt been on in a long while, and the first thing I see since i was gone was this. So i was like, "Its SMRPG, so it better be good, or heads will roll." It far ecedes my expectaitions.

Thank you for making my grading papers a less boring job.

-Zaku II

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...

Very intelligent and reserved sounding; There is a lot going on, but it all fits perfectly, and sounds very meticulous. There are some painful overtones in a few sections where it sounds like some sort of feedback loop. It just gets way , way, louder than anything else, and may be the reason why the rest of the track is so quiet.

There were a few strange notes used in the synth solo; It sounded like a wrong note was played, and then hit a few more times to try to force it into the harmonic structure. Nothing that makes me hate the track, but considering how carefully everything else fit together it seems strange to me.

Sadly, those overtones are too painful for me to listen to repeatedly, so I'm done with this track, but it's distinctly unique and pretty solid overall.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01027 - Super Mario RPG "Seeking Heat"